Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nt fb

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alien Anthology on Upper Deck epacks

Just a heads up to anyone who is collecting this set as there are sure to be some new inserts exclusive to epacks or parallels or most likely, both. Looks like you can get a free pack of base per day if you want to try it out without spending anything.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

What exactly is this?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

If its a strictly digital set, or mostly digital (collect 87 of each digital base for one real base) then it's an easy pass for me. I was very disappointed with the Fusion release.

If it's relatively easy to get physical cards then I'm listening...
Old 07-18-2016, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

For those who aren't into it yet, epacks are digital cards. You can buy by the pack, box or case. Inserts are able to be turned into physical cards at any point and can be shipped by Upper Deck or transferred to COMC to resell or have them ship to you.

Free packs (based on hockey) include three base cards. Collect 10 of the same card and you can foil it. Base cards can't be turned into physical cards but foils can. UD has a message board and you can trade/sell on there.

Purchased packs usually have an insert of some kind per pack and more base than a free pack. They sometimes offer incentives where if you collect a certain set or insert set, you can get a free card or set of cards. They are also starting to do more combining where you can combine more of the same cards to get a parallel as well.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here's the press release about it: Upper Deck

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it seems like a great way to diminish the value of the original set by having autographs released later on. It's what UD did to its hockey releases already this year (series 1 and series 2). Awesome if you missed out on these because you'll be able to find them and get them cheaper now (I'm assuming these e-Packs will play out much like it did in hockey which was heavy overproduction). Lame if you picked them up already because I'm guessing your stuff is about to become a lot more common than you thought.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Con View Post
Lame if you picked them up already because I'm guessing your stuff is about to become a lot more common than you thought.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Bringo!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Basic info here ... Upper Deck brings Alien Anthology to e-Pack at San Diego Comic-Con >>> BlowoutBuzz.com #SDCC #collect

Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Biggest issue I have with this program is that the packs are more expensive than in store, but you don't get physical cards. You'd think with most base being "digital" there would be a cost savings and a reduction in price.

I know you can get physical cards by combining a bunch of digital base, but for the common collector, no one will ever have enough cards to make everything physical. Seems to appeal more to the multi-case buster who doesn't care about anything but the top hits.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wow, went from bad (watering down the hits in hobby boxes; increasing the overall print run) to even worse... an exclusive auto only found in the e-packs??? Not a fan, and worried that this is the direction that non-sports is headed...
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

damn upper deck..
Old 07-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Wow, went from bad (watering down the hits in hobby boxes; increasing the overall print run) to even worse... an exclusive auto only found in the e-packs??? Not a fan, and worried that this is the direction that non-sports is headed...
Its how everything is headed. Physical work for physical cash to buy digital products lol
Branesergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousrmb View Post
Biggest issue I have with this program is that the packs are more expensive than in store, but you don't get physical cards. You'd think with most base being "digital" there would be a cost savings and a reduction in price.

I know you can get physical cards by combining a bunch of digital base, but for the common collector, no one will ever have enough cards to make everything physical. Seems to appeal more to the multi-case buster who doesn't care about anything but the top hits.
If I remember correctly from BO members' breaking them, the UD hockey series 1 and 2 e-packs tended have better odds on the hits than physical packs did regardless of what UD posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Agreed. I would be worried in particular by UD (obviously) as well as Topps, but I don't think this is a direction for Crypto and Rittenhouse though. Seems like a cheaper option for the bigger companies. Also worth noting that like notoriousrmb said, the savings isn't passed on to the customer. The savings is for their profit margins only.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

If hockey was any indication, just wait and let the flood of cards hit COMC and you can probably buy them cheaper than it would cost you to buy epacks and trade your way to the same cards.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Maybe now some of the sketch cards that were previewed will finally hit eBay. There was so much shown and almost nothing went up for sale. The Charles Dance/Dutton dual auto never showed up at all. If there are different autos that is exciting too. I never bought into the set because it was super valuable.
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, this and the "Walking Dead/Star Wars" Digital cards, imo, are pretty stupid. We have the same thing in magic as well. Except the market economy in magic has already died.

For me, a BIG portion of the fun is opening the product, and then sorting etc. So guess I'll be passing.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I never bought into the set because it was super valuable.
I didn't buy cards because they were super valuable either and I don't plan on selling off anything I picked up. That said, it's super lame to know that Upper Deck held product back, which created a false sense of rarity. That puts the collector in a spot where they are paying more than they should because the manufacturer didn't release everything (not even close).

I will wait to see how this whole e-pack bs plays out before going off too much, but as of right now, it does appear that UD intentionally manipulated the marketplace with this release. And if that is true, that's super shady imo.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree that I hate they held stuff back. It does stink for people who paid more. I got all of my autos and sketches at really good prices so I don't feel as though I am in that boat.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

I think these e-packs have a lot of potential, but I don't like the way they are doing them. For someone like me, who doesn't live remotely close to a hobby store, this could be really, really cool.

However, they need to do more with the physical side (i.e. the only side I really care about). They are saving a TON of money by eliminating the middleman PLUS all the costs of packaging. I get that the digital infrastructure cost money, but not enough to justify keeping costs at MSRP.

If they included a "card" that was worth a base set that fell one per box redeemable for a physical base set that would really increase the appeal. Then I know that I will get one physical card per pack (foil/parallel/hit) plus a base set in a box. Put the base set in a little box like Topps did with MA:O. You can trade in 5 base set "cards" for a set of silver foil, then 5 silvers for a set of gold foil. The base set card could be traded on the platform.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:33 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

I retract my prior statement. I didn't realize they already have a convert x of a card into a variant system. Granted, theirs is a complete cluster of ridiculousness. Here is how one of their hockey e-card digital-to-physical exchanges work:

Combine 5 copies of any individual Fusion digital base card on e-Pack to receive a digital gold parallel of that card.

Combine 5 copies of any individual Fusion digital gold parallel base card on e-Pack to receive a digital black parallel of that card.

Collect a complete regular, gold, or black digital base set (#1-200) on e-Pack and combine it for a 10-card physical Fusion Rookie card set that corresponds to the parallel version you combined (regular, gold, or black), with the ability to have the physical cards mailed to you.

Combine 5 copies of any individual Fission F/X yellow digital insert card on e-Pack to receive a digital blue parallel of that card.

Combine 5 copies of any individual Fission F/X blue parallel digital insert card on e-Pack to receive a digital green parallel of that card.

Collect a complete yellow, blue, or green Fission F/X insert set (45 cards) on e-Pack and combine it for a 6-card physical Fission F/X set that corresponds to the parallel version that you combined (yellow, blue, or green), with the ability to have the physical cards mailed to you.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #21 (permalink)

I'm officially disgusted with UD. Go check out Achievement Cards on the e-pack website to see what special cards you can get for spending money directly with UD.https://www.upperdeckepack.com/User/AchievementCards

For Alien Anthology, there are 10 Alien Anthology Quad Autos available. To get one, you have to complete an Alien Anthology Master Set (base set, silver foil parallel set, 3-card achievement set, W-Y Propaganda Art set, Character Bios set, and a Legendary Game Art set) by 9/29/2016.

I'm almost speechless except that I do love to talk crap about UD and their shady crap. Sometimes I wish I didn't know them so well from hockey.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Now I'm officially unsure. I hate that UD did this, but I pulled the exclusive Ian Holm autograph out of 3 packs. So on one hand, I did well personally. On the other hand, I resent the practice.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Anyone know if there's a way to track achievement progress? I'd be ticked if I was chasing the master set for one of those quads only to find out later I was too late.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

To get one of those quads would cost you way more than what it is worth. I would love to have one but not at that price. Also, why are people buying digital images at msrp of physical product. To me that seems insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
To get one of those quads would cost you way more than what it is worth. I would love to have one but not at that price. Also, why are people buying digital images at msrp of physical product. To me that seems insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If they are buying to go for an achievement, they should only have digital cards that can be transferred to actual cards. I'm with you on collecting digital only stuff though--I'd rather have a real card.