Blowout Cards Forums
2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #76 (permalink)

I'm going to save SO much money not collecting this set since my favorite character (Rogue) is now on the Marvel banned from sets list. No Rogue cards for me to track down.

I might go for a couple of the Mystique printed cards (if I can get them cheap enough).

www.pernastudios.deviantart.com
www.facebook.com/groups/Pernastudios
ElainePerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElainePerna View Post
I'm going to save SO much money not collecting this set since my favorite character (Rogue) is now on the Marvel banned from sets list. No Rogue cards for me to track down.

I might go for a couple of the Mystique printed cards (if I can get them cheap enough).
Rogue is on their no list? So weird, any idea what criteria they use for their no-no list.

And I agree, set looks really nice, but no way for the price

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldafanatic15 View Post
Rogue is on their no list? So weird, any idea what criteria they use for their no-no list.

I believe if it falls outside of the Marvel cinematic rights, they try to crush it. So, Fox (X-Men characters), gets the stink eye. Basically it's like children arguing. Marvel sold the rights and now they're crying about it, so they limit exposure of the things they sold the rights to. There's probably more to it, but that's what I get from this silly garbage.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #79 (permalink)

I figured that's what you were referring to. You're probably right, they've been doing the same things incomics for years, giving the Xmen and F4 less marketing and shine. Inhumans are the new Xmen, right?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #80 (permalink)

You can bet they've got an alternate movie timeline ready to go should they be able to buy back those rights from Fox. Look at how quick they threw Spider-Man back in the mix. They'd never admit it, but by failing to give exposure to that franchise, it helps their cause.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I believe if it falls outside of the Marvel cinematic rights, they try to crush it. So, Fox (X-Men characters), gets the stink eye. Basically it's like children arguing. Marvel sold the rights and now they're crying about it, so they limit exposure of the things they sold the rights to. There's probably more to it, but that's what I get from this silly garbage.
Um White Queen has an insert set dedicated solely to her. She is under Fox's control due to her being in the X-Men world. I don't think that's it at all.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
People hunted for Premier base sets, and it was a similar situation.
Good point.

Cards look good but at that price point no thanks.
I wonder how they will do e packs since a box only has 5 cards (sugg retail at $190)

I can not see them doing 1 card "packs" only 5 card boxes and cases?
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I believe it has a bit to do with the movie rights as well. Rumors have it that Rogue will be in the new Gambit movie that is in the works with Fox. Rogue, Gambit, Nightcrawler, Apocalypse and all Fantastic Four characters are still on the banned list because of it. Those are the only reasons I can think of why Rogue in banned. Currently she is a member of the Uncanny Avengers in the comics and I hope they allow her on cards sets again soon. I can't even commission Rogue or Gambit artist proofs from the last couple of Upper Deck sets. Most artists won't draw them.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #84 (permalink)

No Veronica O'Connell at that price point? No thanks.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #85 (permalink)

Ya silver surfer falls under the same as these others, couldn't even get a commissioned ap way back with masterpieces

I just don't get where if they thought this price point. and there really is no female at the same level of Spider-Man or wolverine level.. Some are close maybe but not enough to carry a set by themselves.
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #86 (permalink)

The cards are just recycled art, the same complaint leveled against rittenhouse. The exquisite set which is supposedly new art, are just plain looking, does not seem to fit the release, why not have had the artist do the art for base set? Don't get it. The sketches so far look bleh, nothing suiting 120 a box release. The prices sellers are asking without best offer boggle the mind. Cost was 1200 for 10 boxes making it 20 per card. But they want 300 for each card. I was looking forward to this but easy skip. Why can't companies get original art? Is it really that cost prohibitive?
Mahlersketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlersketch View Post
Why can't companies get original art? Is it really that cost prohibitive?
I imagine it is more time than cost. How long did Joe take to do MM14, er, 16?
sketchopolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:23 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharard View Post
Ya silver surfer falls under the same as these others, couldn't even get a commissioned ap way back with masterpieces

I just don't get where if they thought this price point. and there really is no female at the same level of Spider-Man or wolverine level.. Some are close maybe but not enough to carry a set by themselves.
History says that all-female comic trading card sets are in demand. Rittenhouse Archives did 13 standard Marvel Comic releases and 4 of them were dedicated to female characters. Cryptozoic did Women of Legend, Breygent did Women of Dynamite, and 5FINITY just recently released a Women of Zenscope sketch card set. They haven't all been huge successes, but Dangerous Divas 2 and Women of Legend were the only two that had any sell-through problems.

As far as price point goes - I believe that is just the new reality for these Upper Deck releases. Sure, they might release some lower price point sets here and there moving forward, but clearly their focus is on releasing 2, 3, 4+ premium sets a year. Despite the production costs being higher for them, I'm sure the profit margin is much higher. And when you consider the epack format further increasing their profit margin, it really becomes a no brainer.

Personally I think it sucks, but it is what it is. I can only speak with my wallet, but there clearly are plenty of people that like this format.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
Sure, but at the same time Cryptozoic released 3 DC sets in under a year that were all new artwork. Joe Jusko is who he is, and he is an amazing artist, but there are plenty of great artists that could put together a 60 card in a few months. Look at the comic world these sets are based on, and the frequency those books are released.

Granted, I think time is a factor, but at the end of the day it comes down to profits.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #90 (permalink)

I love the design for the exquisite set, nice simple and really stands out imo.

Most of the other designs are too busy and/or dont look that impressive - things might change once I have a few in hand, but the price point is also pretty restrictive, I can't see there being much of a problem with these selling out quickly on epack like MM did.
Xazark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:22 PM   #91 (permalink)

A Jock DC set would be awesome!
PrestigeWorld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchopolix View Post
You'd think they could use multiple artist like the 93 and 95 Masterpieces. This reused artwork in a new shiny overpriced wrapper thing just gets really tiring.
Alex23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #93 (permalink)

Look at what Tim pulled:

2016 Marvel GEMS sketch card James Hooks THOR 1/1 | eBay

Yep, Thor Odinson.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 AM   #94 (permalink)

I have a question. I don't know if it has already been asked.

Are the diamonds in the cards REAL diamonds? I just saw that Upper Deck said they are manufactured diamonds Marvel Gems Trading Cards

Does that mean they are Cubic Zirconia? I was thinking about going crazy and buying one if they were real tiny diamonds, but I won't if they are man made diamonds.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElainePerna View Post
I have a question. I don't know if it has already been asked.

Are the diamonds in the cards REAL diamonds? I just saw that Upper Deck said they are manufactured diamonds Marvel Gems Trading Cards

Does that mean they are Cubic Zirconia? I was thinking about going crazy and buying one if they were real tiny diamonds, but I won't if they are man made diamonds.
It just means the diamonds were created in labs and not in nature. They are not the same as Cubic Zirconia.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
Look at what Tim pulled:

2016 Marvel GEMS sketch card James Hooks THOR 1/1 | eBay

Yep, Thor Odinson.
Well, I mean, long blonde hair, flowing locks. Easy to confuse.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
It just means the diamonds were created in labs and not in nature. They are not the same as Cubic Zirconia.
Lab created stones are usually no where near as valuable as natural stones. It would have been cool is they were real 100% diamond accents or diamond chips.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:12 PM   #98 (permalink)

I'm lucky to hit the Gems Mine card non numbered Daredevil, but not sure it's 1/1 or not, It doesn't appear in the Cardboard checklist, so no clue that subset is short print or not? Any /30, /5 parallel? That Spiderman and Thor were listed on eBay, so I believe it's the Gem mine superhero subset?! anyone knows?

jellyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:11 AM   #99 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyboy View Post
I'm lucky to hit the Gems Mine card non numbered Daredevil, but not sure it's 1/1 or not, It doesn't appear in the Cardboard checklist, so no clue that subset is short print or not? Any /30, /5 parallel? That Spiderman and Thor were listed on eBay, so I believe it's the Gem mine superhero subset?! anyone knows?

Some of us are trying to figure this out - I pulled the Cyclops - not sure what they are exactly - possibly the black they didn't serial? will lyk once I know.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 AM   #100 (permalink)

I have Ap's available if anyone is interested