Blowout Cards Forums
Breakers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #351 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
Topps posted base card designs on their Facebook page yesterday.
For those that use the digital app, it appears some of the base cards will be "Galactic Moments" type cards that span 40 years. There is a heavy border on the cards. Could make parallel collecting fun.
I don't like the giant border on the poster cards, covers up too much artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floater View Post
Not worried about stickers. Not sure why the hang up over stickers tbh...

SW 30th was sticker autographs and is without doubt the most collected SW set of all time.
I feel the same way. Given the choice between the two I'd prefer on-card, but I don't let stickers get in the way of my collecting.

It's funny how people put a premium on cut autos, basically the same as stickers where the signer didn't "touch" the card.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #352 (permalink)

Default First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars 40th Anniversary trading cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

It's funny how people put a premium on cut autos, basically the same as stickers where the signer didn't "touch" the card.

I think the general premium with cut autos is that the autographs are of people who

(1) Are deceased so you can't get their autos any other way
(2) Refuse to sign autographs. This means you must resort to a signature on a contract, check, bill, etc.

Alec Guinness or Natalie Portman are people who would fall under those categories (among many others Cushing, Kershner etc)

If they don't fall insert those categories then yes I agree with you.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #353 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
It probably should drop to $100 or maybe $90, but who knows at this point.
there's no way these are dropping to $720 a case.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #354 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
We all need to wait for the checklist.

If they don't improve on the signers (aka new or hard to get or behind the scenes people) that will be a big factor.

Same with production run.

Remember chrome jedi vs sith? Or mw2?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 09:58 AM   #355 (permalink)

Quote:
The probably won't, but based on the original price and what we know so far, they shouldn't be going for over $100 a box.
Maybe the product is amazing, but doubt it is selling well at $125 a box at this point.

One nugget of good news, from what a few artists have said, the sketch cards are the highest quality ever!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #356 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I don't like the giant border on the poster cards, covers up too much artwork.

I feel the same way. Given the choice between the two I'd prefer on-card, but I don't let stickers get in the way of my collecting.

Looks like the poster cards do not have the border. At least according to the sell sheet. One of the Galactic Moments type cards featuring the ESB poster does have the border.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #357 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
The probably won't, but based on the original price and what we know so far, they shouldn't be going for over $100 a box.
Maybe the product is amazing, but doubt it is selling well at $125 a box at this point.

One nugget of good news, from what a few artists have said, the sketch cards are the highest quality ever!
based on artist list or work they put into them? I feel like artist quality doesnt personally change too much, moreso the list of artists.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #358 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
We all need to wait for the checklist.

If they don't improve on the signers (aka new or hard to get or behind the scenes people) that will be a big factor.

Same with production run.

Remember chrome jedi vs sith? Or mw2?

I don't agree. The examples above were able to be had very easily before release date. With 40th, the online retailers have pulled this way in advance, and BO is over $1000 a case due to lack of supply. The point is they know something. All of a sudden about 4-5 weeks ago NO ONE had it any more and it was nearly impossible to find. This is an iconic release with a lot of demand already built in - that coupled with the behind the scenes indicators as well as what Topps has done so far with recent releases across their brands is enough for me to know that -- other than a few of the typical rogue ignorant ebay sellers on release day -- this product is not dropping back to near pre-sale levels.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #359 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't agree. The examples above were able to be had very easily before release date. With 40th, the online retailers have pulled this way in advance, and BO is over $1000 a case due to lack of supply. The point is they know something. All of a sudden about 4-5 weeks ago NO ONE had it any more and it was nearly impossible to find. This is an iconic release with a lot of demand already built in - that coupled with the behind the scenes indicators as well as what Topps has done so far with recent releases across their brands is enough for me to know that -- other than a few of the typical rogue ignorant ebay sellers on release day -- this product is not dropping back to near pre-sale levels.
If you looks at sold auctions on eBay, they appear to be selling like hot cakes at the $120-130 mark. Who knows what happens after release but it looks like good news for those that got a pre-order in.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #360 (permalink)

There is still a lot of speculation right now. Nobody really knows very much at all. We don't even know if the signers are ANH or the wider saga. But, as Tim says, what we are factoring in is an indication that Topps is leaving printing well past demand/pre-orders model that has in my view damaged the Star Wars card market over the past 2-3 years, to a more recent restricted supply based on demand, which has once again increased interest and strengthened the brand.

Let's be honest, it's better for just about everybody if this change is indicative of how it's moving now. Something had to be done to move the hobby, market and people's perception of releases, and I think this is a smart move by Topps if they continue this route.

Last edited by richo; 04-20-2017 at 11:03 AM.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #361 (permalink)

Quote:
But I wonder if these online stores are truly out or pulled it in case prices spike even higher.

But yeah I bet there's a lot of behind the scenes info floating around that we arent privy to. yet another reason this industry is annoying, no checklists until a week or two before and all these unwarranted price fluctuations.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #362 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
based on artist list or work they put into them? I feel like artist quality doesnt personally change too much, moreso the list of artists.
I have heard from multiple sketch artists that they had a lot of lead time with this set and as a result, they have been producing better than normal sketches. Seems to me that crappy sketches occur because the sketch artist runs out of time and has to fill a quota, so to speak. So you get some of the infamous doodles or half completed sketches or whatever.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #363 (permalink)

Can I add, the only slight worry I have is that late addition of film cells. Not sure why, it just worried me. Hopefully am wrong on this.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #364 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
Can I add, the only slight worry I have is that late addition of film cells. Not sure why, it just worried me. Hopefully am wrong on this.
Yeah and that the sell sheet show a high number of medallion parallels:
Blue (#/199), Purple (#/99), Gold (#/25), Red (#/10) and Autographed (#/10) parallels

Hopefully either most of these are in retail, the # of medallions in the set is small or that Topps ends up scaling back on the # of parallels.

Say there are 20-30 different medallions, that would show that the print run is really high, considering you don't even get a medallion per box!

Now if the base is the Blue #/199 and then many of the Blue and Purple #/99 are in retail, then we are just fine.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #365 (permalink)

Read the sell sheet. Only 2 medallions! Death Star and falcon. And if no base, the medallions will be relatively rare
Old 04-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #366 (permalink)

Quote:
Read the sell sheet. Only 2 medallions! Death Star and falcon. And if no base, the medallions will be relatively rare
It says there are two types of medallions, but that they are "highlighting some of the most recognizable characters from the Saga", which implies that there are multiple (or lots) of different medallion cards that have the same physical medallion but different characters.
Malavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #367 (permalink)

Quote:
I have heard from multiple sketch artists that they had a lot of lead time with this set and as a result, they have been producing better than normal sketches. Seems to me that crappy sketches occur because the sketch artist runs out of time and has to fill a quota, so to speak. So you get some of the infamous doodles or half completed sketches or whatever.

To add onto the sketch discussion, I've heard that duplicates were not required for this set. Pretty sure Disney still had to play every card, but it didn't follow the format of "submit 20 designs and copy them onto 100 more cards". I think there will be 1/1 sketches in this set which is another premium there
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #368 (permalink)

I know the sell sheets are subject to change and not always trustworthy, but in re-reading it a few things stick out.

From the autograph page: Cards will feature autographs of over 30 subjects from across the Star Wars saga
So not just A New Hope signers. If Topps does this right it could be the most amazing set of autos to date.

From the sketch page: Leading artists lend their artistic talents to create unique artwork directly on card, featuring memorable characters, creatures and scenes from Star Wars: A New Hope
So the sketches are all ANH.

From the medallions page: ...highlighting some of the most memorable characters of the saga.
So likely a mixture of characters from all different movies.

The poster cards that are part of the base set look really cool. I like that they've included some from foreign countries too.

FYI, sell sheet can be viewed here... 2017 Topps Star Wars 40th Anniversary
peterose4hof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #369 (permalink)

How has Topps not dropped more info on the most anticipated set of the year. We're 2 weeks out!??

I can't get into all this speculation until I know something concrete. Hopefully in the next week we'll get a bit more information from Topps.
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #370 (permalink)

I'm not at all surprised at the "over 30 autos from across the Saga". I think it would be really tough in 2017 to come up with 30 signers from ANH. If all signers were from ANH it would have to contain quite a few of the kids that played Jawas haha.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #371 (permalink)

It's strange the sell sheet only showed ANH signers. You would think if there were any big names from say The Force Awakens, they would appear on the sell sheet. Would be great to see Ridley and Finn in here, but my gut tells me possibly not. Thoughts?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #372 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
How has Topps not dropped more info on the most anticipated set of the year. We're 2 weeks out!??

I can't get into all this speculation until I know something concrete. Hopefully in the next week we'll get a bit more information from Topps.
How is this surprising to us any more? This is and has been Topps standard operating procedure for years now. Despite what they promised on their FB page.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:58 AM   #373 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
I'm not at all surprised at the "over 30 autos from across the Saga". I think it would be really tough in 2017 to come up with 30 signers from ANH. If all signers were from ANH it would have to contain quite a few of the kids that played Jawas haha.
I'd be happy with some more Jawas.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #374 (permalink)

anyone know who the character and artist is on this sketch card

I dont ship outside the USA
nera20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #375 (permalink)
Tim

jeff chandler is the artist