Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I don't know how any true fan couldn't keep it.
Even true fans have emergencies that pop up or simply life needs that are more important than a card. I was in this situation when I pulled my first and only Harrison Ford on-card auto a couple of years ago. I pulled the card at the same time we were adding on a nursery. As much as I really wanted the card and tried to find every reason to keep it I could just not justify putting the card over family needs. It's hard to know what you would do until you are holding the card in your hand.
The nice thing about this one is that you will not need to decide right away to sell. This will not lose value- ever. Keep it forever or hold until a need to sell arises and you will find a buyer quickly at any time.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #102 (permalink)

I hope their security procedures for fair and random insertion are good...
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
I hope their security procedures for fair and random insertion are good...
They will both end up stuck together in the same pack. That would be pretty random!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Even true fans have emergencies that pop up or simply life needs that are more important than a card.
I never buy the true fan argument. Even though I have no immediate monetary needs, someone offers me $17K for that card, I'm selling and getting a nice home theater setup, commissioning some artwork for the wall and still having $7K in the bank. Doesn't mean I value or enjoy Star Wars less, just means I found a threshold of where the value of what I can do with the money is greater than the value I place in the card. For some, that threshold might be higher or lower.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
I never buy the true fan argument. Even though I have no immediate monetary needs, someone offers me $17K for that card, I'm selling and getting a nice home theater setup, commissioning some artwork for the wall and still having $7K in the bank. Doesn't mean I value or enjoy Star Wars less, just means I found a threshold of where the value of what I can do with the money is greater than the value I place in the card. For some, that threshold might be higher or lower.
Oh I totally agree, that's why I said the line that you really don't know what you would do until your holding a card like that in your hand. I'm as big a Star Wars fan as there is but I'm a huuuuge fan of cash also
Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Oh I totally agree, that's why I said the line that you really don't know what you would do until your holding a card like that in your hand. I'm as big a Star Wars fan as there is but I'm a huuuuge fan of cash also
I'd sell it to buy individual/cheaper options of them all...with cash left over.
rickstaman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #107 (permalink)

No idea what a true fan is lol. There are levels of fandom?! Wow!
moistpaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moistpaper View Post
No idea what a true fan is lol. There are levels of fandom?! Wow!
I generally find it's a term people throw out to try to take the high ground and/or piss and moan in the collectibles arena. (By the way Varga.. not saying you did that. )

"I can't believe they are gouging on that item. I'm a 'true' fan and I can't get one because of them gougers. My life is ruined."

"I'm a 'true' fan, I'd never sell my items EVER. Not for a million billion zillion dollars"

"I'm a 'true' fan.. I deserve to have that item because you couldn't possibly like it as much as me"
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
I generally find it's a term people throw out to try to take the high ground and/or piss and moan in the collectibles arena. (By the way Varga.. not saying you did that. )

"I can't believe they are gouging on that item. I'm a 'true' fan and I can't get one because of them gougers. My life is ruined."

"I'm a 'true' fan, I'd never sell my items EVER. Not for a million billion zillion dollars"

"I'm a 'true' fan.. I deserve to have that item because you couldn't possibly like it as much as me"

I'm just saying that's something worth holding onto since there will never be another like it. Yeah you could buy single autos, but still wouldn't be as cool in my opinion. To each is own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2016, 01:09 AM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:

One up this 100%

I hate when people use the "true fan" card (nothing personal Varga).

Star Wars is awesome because literally anyone can love it, and if they do, then that's true fan enough for me.

Now me personally, I don't collect cards to have the biggest and baddest collection of all. I collect them so I can relive the movies through collecting and along the score some nice autographs/relics/sketches. The best card in my collection is an in-person signed card of Princess Leia, followed by a John Boyega Chrome auto.

If I pulled the 6-way, I would most definitely sell it. Does it really make me less of a Star Wars fan because I'd prefer to own a full cast signed poster, attend Star Wars celebration for four days, and still have thousands and thousands of dollars to invest in my favorite franchise ever? No, I don't think so.

Now whether or not the Star Wars collector who pulls this awesome card chooses to sell it is up completely to them, and I respect that, to each his own. If this cards holds enough value to make it worth keeping it to some, then good for them, and I'm delighted to see the card proudly displayed in their collection.

But, just because a collector chooses to sell the card, it does not automatically make them any less of a Star Wars fan than one who may choose to keep it. That's my point, sorry for the rant
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 02:28 AM   #111 (permalink)

We're all just talking about nothing here. "True fan" or not, until one of us pulls the 6-way, we will never be proven right or wrong.

The reality is that most of us couldn't afford to keep such a monster hit because we have other bills/financial burdens in our lives. But I recall Justin Timberlake actually collects Kobe cards, and buys on eBay, so there are some collectors with fat wallets who could easily afford to keep such a hit.

I don't know what I would do, but I am confident that I won't have to ever face the decision.
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:06 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiltonL View Post
We're all just talking about nothing here. "True fan" or not, until one of us pulls the 6-way, we will never be proven right or wrong.

The reality is that most of us couldn't afford to keep such a monster hit because we have other bills/financial burdens in our lives. But I recall Justin Timberlake actually collects Kobe cards, and buys on eBay, so there are some collectors with fat wallets who could easily afford to keep such a hit.

I don't know what I would do, but I am confident that I won't have to ever face the decision.
Yup, that's how Im thinking. I'm never going to pull it so why would i worry about what I would do if I get it.

Although i do dream about what it would be like to pull such a beauty though. The thought of cracking open a pack to find it, I'd probably lose my mind and drop it, cause some damage or something haha

I mean just the thrill I get from getting a printing plate is already a lot of fun for me. I can't fathom what my reaction would be like pulling that!
mightymiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:45 AM   #113 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstaman05 View Post
I'd sell it to buy individual/cheaper options of them all...with cash left over.
Exactly. The card is awesome, no question, but it's not like they all signed it together. You could pick them all up individually and get a nicely framed presentation to hang up.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #114 (permalink)

Argh. I am so torn with this set. I'd love to preorder a few boxes but am just terrified of overproduction. I'll be getting one box for sure jus because of the triple, but if the print run is reasonable, then I'd many a few boxes (I'm a simple, tight budget collector as you can tell).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #115 (permalink)

Looks like the single autos will be stickers. Was hoping with it being 40th Anniversary they would get the cards done ahead of time and have the actors sign them.

Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #116 (permalink)

Interesting card design.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg1945 View Post
Looks like the single autos will be stickers. Was hoping with it being 40th Anniversary they would get the cards done ahead of time and have the actors sign them.

You gotta wonder, especially with the lower level signers, is TOPPS just being lazy by using stickers? Surely every signer isn't booked up where they couldn't do on card. It just looks so much nicer, it's not even about the value being higher on card. I wish we could get an inside look at the process of making a set....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #118 (permalink)

That Mark Hamill card reminds me of There's Something About Mary
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #119 (permalink)

I'm a True Fan but I'm not wasting money on sticker autographs. Rather go to their website and buy the 8X10's.
dukestr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM   #120 (permalink)

I read on facebook that it seems the sketches might be originals and no duplicates but only from A New Hope,
Sharard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #121 (permalink)

One thing. Can we please get the 40th logo stamped on these cards, be it autos or parallels. Please Topps...
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #122 (permalink)

I realize that distributors like to pump pre-orders on products, but I get a lot of solicitation from my dist, but thought the wording on this was a different then what I have seen before..

"2 hits per box (1 will be either an auto or a sketch)
This product will just be print-to-order (no excess will be made)"

I have never had a distributor saying a product would be "print to order" before. It's just not a statement I have heard. Just thought it was worth mentioning. As you were....
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
I realize that distributors like to pump pre-orders on products, but I get a lot of solicitation from my dist, but thought the wording on this was a different then what I have seen before..

"2 hits per box (1 will be either an auto or a sketch)
This product will just be print-to-order (no excess will be made)"

I have never had a distributor saying a product would be "print to order" before. It's just not a statement I have heard. Just thought it was worth mentioning. As you were....
I received this today and was going to mention it later in the week. This was definitely an odd announcement but yeah extra emphasis was put in that Topps was able to "guarantee an auto or sketch per box". I never have a problem with that hit, it's the manufactured one that is a problem lol.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #124 (permalink)

Well, most recent releases have had the box hit being an auto, sketch, OR printing plate. I figured the emphasis was to differentiate that the plates are included in the second hit group this time. Also, it was specified that the medallion autos will be included in the second hit group so you could get a sketch or auto AND a medallion auto in a box.

First Hit: Autograph or Sketch
Second Hit: Printing Plate or Medallion or Medallion Auto or Buyback Hit

I think they are taking the hit ratios in the right direction with this release at least.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Well, most recent releases have had the box hit being an auto, sketch, OR printing plate. I figured the emphasis was to differentiate that the plates are included in the second hit group this time. Also, it was specified that the medallion autos will be included in the second hit group so you could get a sketch or auto AND a medallion auto in a box.

First Hit: Autograph or Sketch
Second Hit: Printing Plate or Medallion or Medallion Auto or Buyback Hit

I think they are taking the hit ratios in the right direction with this release at least.
Agreed. I suggested to them on that conference call last month that they take this approach. Make the second hit spot not a guaranteed manufactured hit but possibly a mix of everything available.

Way less frustrating opening a case this way.
113877 is offline   Reply With Quote