Blowout Cards Forums
2017 Honus Bonus

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
It does appear that Topps is making less product in 2017 vs 2016, which is good for card values.
This would be a welcome thing. Topps does need to draw back the deluge of Star Wars sets. Is there a list out there on what is on the schedule for this year? I wonder if they are producing less physical cards and getting more digital sets?
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #177 (permalink)

Topps announced the date is May 3rd (why not just do the fourth at that point lol). They also announced film cel buyback relics (these would come in addition to a sketch/auto as a second hit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
Topps announced the date is May 3rd (why not just do the fourth at that point lol). They also announced film cel buyback relics (these would come in addition to a sketch/auto as a second hit).

The facebook page didn't state these are buybacks yet. They showed an example of a film cel relic, from ESB which was odd since they had ANH ones made before.

These better be buybacks or added bonuses and not hits. Between Jedi Legacy and ANH Illustrated we already have all the best scenes with film cels for ANH.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
The facebook page didn't state these are buybacks yet. They showed an example of a film cel relic, from ESB which was odd since they had ANH ones made before.

These better be buybacks or added bonuses and not hits. Between Jedi Legacy and ANH Illustrated we already have all the best scenes with film cels for ANH.
Like I posted on FB, this news might bring case prices back down! LOL

This was a horrible post by Topps, did they really think this would make anyone happy or excited?

For once I want them to come up with an idea that makes me go wow, that is cool!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Like I posted on FB, this news might bring case prices back down! LOL

This was a horrible post by Topps, did they really think this would make anyone happy or excited?

For once I want them to come up with an idea that makes me go wow, that is cool!
I also fear that this addition may mean something was pulled. Not like them to just suddenly add something.

I'm just waiting for them to announce they pulled the sketches or certain autos or something.

Unless these do truly fall into the buyback category.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #181 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:

so they just replaced a sketch/auto some of the time with a worthless, boring, who-cares film cel relic? time to reduce my case order.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #182 (permalink)

Ow no, just when you thought the release might be good, lol.

Film cells? No thanks.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #183 (permalink)

Looking at how topps is now, I'd imagine the cels are now "hits". Just another Topps Star Wars product to pass on for me haha!
moistpaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #184 (permalink)

I honestly thought they were trying to do the right thing in 2017 with reduced production and printing to order. I dont understand how they can get away with slipping film cells in well after the pre-order window. It's pretty outrageous really when it wasn't on the sell sheet.

The more people that press them on this on Facebook the better.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
so they just replaced a sketch/auto some of the time with a worthless, boring, who-cares film cel relic? time to reduce my case order.
If you got one for around $600, I would be happy to take one or more off your hands!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:

WHERE ARE YOU SEEING THIS INFORMATION? Because the Facebook post doesn't state they are buybacks.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
WHERE ARE YOU SEEING THIS INFORMATION? Because the Facebook post doesn't state they are buybacks.

Chill, I asked them in the comments and am awaiting you are a response. I just wrote that assuming it'd be outrageous if they were not buybacks and counted as real hits.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #188 (permalink)

It doesn't state they are buybacks. Even if they are, it's hard to imagine a more disappointing buyback candidate. It doesn't feel like good news either way. Could this signal a late ramp up in production and the requirement for some filler hits?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #189 (permalink)

I didn't meant to shout, sorry.
But you posted in this forum like there was a Topps statement saying these were in addition to the second hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a second hit, and it looks like overstock from ESB Illustrated.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
I also fear that this addition may mean something was pulled. Not like them to just suddenly add something.

I'm just waiting for them to announce they pulled the sketches or certain autos or something.

Unless these do truly fall into the buyback category.
I've seen the backs of sketches. One of the artists showed a picture on the artist return date on his facebook page. So I doubt sketches are being dropped.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
I didn't meant to shout, sorry.
But you posted in this forum like there was a Topps statement saying these were in addition to the second hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is a second hit, and it looks like overstock from ESB Illustrated.
It would be outrageous if old film cells from ESB are added as a filler hit in to a flagship 40th set celebrating A New Hope.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM   #192 (permalink)

I looked at some ESB Illustrated Film Cels and the image posted on Topps Facebook. Same pattern. So these are likely old ESB Illustrated Film Cels. IT should be a buyback - which I would not have a problem with. But if Topps is using that as a second hit, you might as well buy boxes of ESB Illustrated..
Old 03-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #193 (permalink)

Topps just added an update to their post:

"UPDATE: The film cels in Star Wars 40th are NEW (not buybacks) and from A New Hope. They will replace a manufactured medallion in a box. Each hobby box will still have one guaranteed autograph OR sketch card in it. the image was just an example of a film cel we have done in the past so those unfamiliar can get an idea of what they look like."
BlueForTheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #194 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
I looked at some ESB Illustrated Film Cels and the image posted on Topps Facebook. Same pattern. So these are likely old ESB Illustrated Film Cels. IT should be a buyback - which I would not have a problem with. But if Topps is using that as a second hit, you might as well buy boxes of ESB Illustrated..
agree with every word - buyback? no problem. second hit? cancelling order.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #195 (permalink)

So are there medallions and film cells? Because of the promised cards included AUTOGRAPHED MEDALLIONS! Did those just go bye bye?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #196 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueForTheVirus View Post
Topps just added an update to their post:

"UPDATE: The film cels in Star Wars 40th are NEW (not buybacks) and from A New Hope. They will replace a manufactured medallion in a box. Each hobby box will still have one guaranteed autograph OR sketch card in it. the image was just an example of a film cel we have done in the past so those unfamiliar can get an idea of what they look like."
Ugh. Whether the 2nd hit is a medallion or a film cell, it's still a crap hit. So for me, nothing has really changed as far as the outlook for this release.

The only way to get rid of this 2nd hit scourge, is for Topps to introduce new and fresh ideas.

So for now, we are stuck with a lamo 2nd hit.
slidethefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #197 (permalink)

Did anyone honestly expect TWO GOOD hits? I'm just wondering.
I did see this on the blowout buzz post. Not sure when it was added:

Update: Each box will include one autograph or sketch card along with … a combination of one medallion or auto medallion or one buyback hit or one printing plate.

Didn't they originally say that buybacks were in addition to two hits? I believe they said that on the Facebook page.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #198 (permalink)

Quote:
So are there medallions and film cells? Because of the promised cards included AUTOGRAPHED MEDALLIONS! Did those just go bye bye?
Exactly, that's a huge question we need answered.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #199 (permalink)

This is from Topps' own Web site:

Topps is buying back previous Star Wars base cards from the 1977 releases to be placed into the upcoming product with a special 40th Anniversary stamp. The buyback base cards will be randomly inserted into packs and not counted as one of the hits in the box.

SO are they differenting between buyback HITS and buyback BASE CARDS? Sure sounds like i.t
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
This is from Topps' own Web site:

Topps is buying back previous Star Wars base cards from the 1977 releases to be placed into the upcoming product with a special 40th Anniversary stamp. The buyback base cards will be randomly inserted into packs and not counted as one of the hits in the box.

SO are they differenting between buyback HITS and buyback BASE CARDS? Sure sounds like i.t
As far as I know buybacks are randomly inserted, so think of them like an insert, not hit. Topps did this with their recent Heritage Baseball 2017 with a "REDISCOVER TOPPS" shiny text stamp on the cards.

Those film cels will be hits, not buybacks from ESB Illustrated

I honestly feel bad for those who still think it's smart to pre-order in case of a print to order scenario or potential price spike. Given TOPPS, so far, has only swapped one lame hit for another, but they may be dropping the auto medallions which would likely mean less Ford, Hamill, and Fisher autos in the set, unless they design auto Film Cels (aka place sticker on) or insert more base autos or something.

We're just over a month out and the usual bad new report is already here. Let's hope this is the only change.