Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nt fb

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM   #201 (permalink)

Auto medallions still there.https://twitter.com/Topps/status/843896628343951361
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #202 (permalink)

Topps Star Wars Brand Manager just confirmed there will be AUTOGRAPHED Medallions and Medallions too.

So the 2nd Hits are shaping up to be:

1.) Medallions
2.) Autographed Medallions.
3.) Buyback hits (HELLO Tim Rose!)
4.) Printing Plates?
5.) Film Cells
6.) ????
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM   #203 (permalink)
Tim

I'm actually not as upset as I was. a film cel instead of a medallion is a win in my book for two reasons: the cel is better; and that's less medallions.

the key is whether each case will have 7 common autos and one sketch or four autos and four sketches. If we get an even amount of sketches, it will be a good release. (the FIRST hit is the key here for me.)
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #204 (permalink)

Default First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars 40th Anniversary trading cards

Just to help everyone clarify above, there are buyback Base which do not count as hits and will be stamped. These are randomly inserted at a rate Topps has not disclosed. Then there are stamped buyback hits which will replace you medallion or film cel and you will get an autograph/sketch guaranteed from this set. We did discuss this a few pages back in the thread.

Additionally, I apologize for posting that the film cels were buybacks, I did not know if they were or not and just assumed they were. They will count as the second hit (like a medallion) in addition to your sketch/auto.

I personally don't think there is any problem with this news, I'd prefer a film cel over a medallion and we all knew medallions would be in this product. This doesn't mean they took out Auto Medallions or any other hits necessarily. There still exists a good chance at getting a medallion + auto/sketch or buyback hit + auto/sketch

Last edited by joudenjouden; 03-20-2017 at 01:54 PM.
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
There still exists a good chance at getting a medallion + auto/sketch or buyback hit + auto/sketch
Wouldn't that mean 3 hits then? Buyback hits are hits, but regular buyback base are like inserts, right?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #206 (permalink)

I do like the buyback cards with a 40th anniversary stamp.
This is at least a good idea by Topps that is cheap for them, but adds value to the boxes.
They had buybacks in the Journey to the Force Awakens, but they didn't have a stamp on them, so what was the point?
If you get a few of these per case plus get a few extra buyback hits, plus get your 16 hits per case, I guess that would be better than recent products.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM   #207 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Wouldn't that mean 3 hits then? Buyback hits are hits, but regular buyback base are like inserts, right?

If you consider a buyback base card as a hit to you then yes. I look at it more as numbered parallel.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #208 (permalink)

I read it as buyback hits and buyback base. Buyback base won't count as a hit but will likely be 77 cards with a gold stamp. Buyback hits on the other hand, will not be base cards but will count as your second hit.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
I read it as buyback hits and buyback base. Buyback base won't count as a hit but will likely be 77 cards with a gold stamp. Buyback hits on the other hand, will not be base cards but will count as your second hit.

Exactly. My biggest fear with buyback hits are that they'll do medallions or crap like that rather than their real hits.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #210 (permalink)

They could buy back medallions but that would kinda defeat the purpose. I would guess lower end autos, skectches, etc. Maybe one or two big buyback hits.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #211 (permalink)

I just know I am extremely excited for the new Journey to The Last Jedi set as JTTFA is one of the best sets they ever did and they look like they might do this one right as well. Just love the look of the base cards, parallels, and autographs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
They could buy back medallions but that would kinda defeat the purpose. I would guess lower end autos, skectches, etc. Maybe one or two big buyback hits.

Yeah, I'm not expecting big name autos or anything maybe they'll do one Hamill or something. Any things better than medallions
Old 03-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #213 (permalink)
Tim

stamped buyback base will be a nice value add, similar to the topps' 75th anniversary set, and will be extra nice I think depending on whether there are iconic cards from the base inserted as buybacks.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
I just know I am extremely excited for the new Journey to The Last Jedi set as JTTFA is one of the best sets they ever did and they look like they might do this one right as well. Just love the look of the base cards, parallels, and autographs.

I hope you're kidding about a JTTLJ set being real.

JTTFA made sense since it was a recap type set. JTTLJ would be what, all 8 films, and then a 9 film set for JT(TBD)? Unless they did Rogue One and Rebels and Clone wars together or something with TLJ, I don't know. It'd just be a rehash to do an 8 film set and a waste of space it seems. They'd be better served making a retro type set for Ep 7-9, R1, and the Han Solo spinoff all in one set.

Otherwise they should make a 10-20 card expansion set for retail or online exclusive. Or even better do it like the Vader continuity set and spread retro themed cards across TLJ Series 1 and 2. However then you wouldn't have parallels to chase.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:

Otherwise they should make a 10-20 card expansion set for retail or online exclusive. Or even better do it like the Vader continuity set and spread retro themed cards across TLJ Series 1 and 2. However then you wouldn't have parallels to chase.

I'm 100% serious. They will be starting a Rey continuity set with this set.

I think it will be cool as they won't reuse images from JTTFA, they'll use all new images as there are many scenes not covered. I think this is a great set as the parallels look great (especially the numbered cards). We may differ in this opinion but I am greatly looking forward to it.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:

JTTFA made sense since it was a recap type set. JTTLJ would be what, all 8 films, and then a 9 film set for JT(TBD)? Unless they did Rogue One and Rebels and Clone wars together or something with TLJ, I don't know. It'd just be a rehash to do an 8 film set and a waste of space it seems. They'd be better served making a retro type set for Ep 7-9, R1, and the Han Solo spinoff all in one set.

https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/20...the-last-jedi/
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
Hmm, not sure on the content, but seems almost as if it will focus primarily on FA and not the full saga then? That's more appropriate than scouring thru the first 6 movies again.

Good to see more and more Rey and Kylo autos being pumped out too, keep lowering the prices for collectors on a budget. I hope they also can get some new talent like Isaac and Nyon'go to sign.

And for the hits they list "plastic emblem cards", so like a patch but plastic? Cheaper version of a medallion since plastic versus metal? Have they done these before in SW products?

Then again I'm sure we should just continue this conversation in another thread for that set.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM   #218 (permalink)

I wish they could buy back sketches from artists like Len Bellinger ; Sean Pence; Katie Cook; Gary Kezele;Cat Staggs;Nina Edlund;Plunkett ;SONI ; Walks ;Kayanan;Sohn, etc.
Oh well, can't say I don't dream.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I'm actually not as upset as I was. a film cel instead of a medallion is a win in my book for two reasons: the cel is better; and that's less medallions.

the key is whether each case will have 7 common autos and one sketch or four autos and four sketches. If we get an even amount of sketches, it will be a good release. (the FIRST hit is the key here for me.)
I feel this way as well. I would much rather pull a film cel than a medallion and the film cels have sold well at release of previous products. Also, cels have not been in enough product to flood the market. If there are SP's then that is even more potential value added and if this put medallions down to 5-7 per case range then that will help their value as well.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #220 (permalink)

Gonna replace Medallions with film Cels I believe!
Wolf8MeVillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #221 (permalink)

Quote:
Topps Star Wars Brand Manager just confirmed there will be AUTOGRAPHED Medallions and Medallions too.

So the 2nd Hits are shaping up to be:

1.) Medallions

2.) Autographed Medallions.

3.) Buyback hits (HELLO Tim Rose!)

4.) Printing Plates?

5.) Film Cells

6.) ????

Wrong. No basic medallions, only auto medallions. Film cels replaced medallions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #222 (permalink)

I didn't think they meant medallions will be removed from the product entirely. Has there been further information posted since the above facebook post?
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #223 (permalink)

Default First Buzz: 2017 Topps Star Wars 40th Anniversary trading cards

Okay Varga, you were right. I guess that means my above posts were wrong. Very strange that they'd pull those and leave auto medallions. Hopefully it's for the best, we will see.

Last edited by joudenjouden; 03-20-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #224 (permalink)

Quote:
Wrong. No basic medallions, only auto medallions. Film cels replaced medallions.

Actually, Darth Van Ohlen (topps product manager) on Twitter confirmed on twitter that there will be both autographed medallions and medallions. Check his Tweet at 1:43 PM from today.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM   #225 (permalink)

Quote:

The way I read it.... they ADDED Film Cels in addition to the Medallions. But instead of the box having a 3rd hit... the Film Cel will replace the Medallion in the box. But not REPLACE Medallions.

So it's either less Medallions... or ramped up production... and same number of Medallions with Film Cels added.
Ferg1945 is offline   Reply With Quote