Blowout Cards Forums
Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2016 Topps Doctor Who The Tenth Doctor Adventures Widevision

Haven't seen anything posted about this new Doctor Who set, but I saw a link for it in today's e-mail I received from Topps. It's a new set now available on the Topps website (so I assume it's an exclusive set only available direct from Topps?):

2016 TOPPS DOCTOR WHO: THE TENTH DOCTOR ADVENTURES WIDEVISION

88 base cards tell the story of The Tenth Doctor, covering episodes from Doctor Who Series 2-4 including the specials on beautiful Widevision cards

Each set contains 2 autographs from the cast in Blue # to 50, Bronze # to 25, Silver # to 10 or Gold 1/1! All autograph cards are sequentially numbered!

Signers include David Tennant, Billie Piper, Alex Kingston, Freema Agyeman, Noel Clarke, John Barrowman and many more with 38 signers total!

Price is $99.99.

Assuming every one of the 38 signers has autos numbered to 50, 25, 10, and 1, that comes out to 1634 sets. That's kind of a weird number, so I wonder if some of the top autos don't have a #/50 version. Then the number of sets might be 1500. Btw, I just checked, and there are currently 1499 sets available. So the print run is probably 1500.

Will be interesting to see how this set does. And hopefully Topps has learned something from their Star Wars products, and they will pull back on the number of Doctor Who sets they release next year, and not flood the market.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Seems like a pretty high print run, since the latest SW product can't even sell that many.
This set will be discounted in the near future!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think they're just trying to clear out some of the remaining stickers for the autos. Many of the modern signers had appearances in series 2-4, and I think Tennant is the only modern Doctor that has signed.

Based on how poorly Extraterrestrial Encounters seems to be doing, I can't see them selling that many boxes of this.

Here's the auto list from another forum:

WA-DT David Tennant as The Tenth Doctor
WA-BP Billie Piper as Rose Tyler
WA-FA Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones
WA-AK Alex Kingston as River Song
WA-NC Noel Clarke as Mickey Smith
WA-JB John Barrowman as Jack Harkness
WA-BC Bernard Cribbins as Wilfred Mott

WA-JS John Simm as The Master
WA-DJ Derek Jacobi as The Master
WA-BE Barnaby Edwards as Dalek
WA-CCH Chipo Chung as Chantho
WA-SP Sarah Parish as Empress of the Racnoss
WA-SF Simon Fisher-Becker as Dorium Maldovar
WA-GW Gabriel Woolf as The Beast From The Pit
WA-SM Sarah Louise Madison as Weeping Angel
WA-WT Will Thorp as Toby Zed
WA-AH Anthony Head as Mr. Finch
WA-GP Geoffrey Palmer as Captain Hardaker
WA-EL Eric Loren as Diagoras
WA-Pd Peter de Jersey as Androgar
WA-CH Clare Higgins as Ohila
WA-DC Debbie Chazen as Foon Van Hoff
WA-NB Nicholas Briggs as Dalek Voice
WA-ABA Annette Badland as Blon Fel-Fotch Passameer-Day

WA-JRE Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart
WA-RT Russell Tovey as Alonso Frame
WA-CC Camille Coduri as Jackie Tyler
WA-AA Adjoa Andoh as Francine Jones
WA-TK Tommy Knight as Luke Smith
WA-JBA Jonathan Bailey as Psi
WA-JK Jacqueline King as Sylvia Noble
WA-TL Trevor Laird as Clive Jones
WA-BR Ben Righton as Oliver Morgenstern
WA-SD Shaun Dingwall as Pete Tyler
WA-TB Thomas Brodie-Sangster as Tim Latimer
WA-JD Joe Dempsie as Cline
WA-CR Claire Rushbrook as Ida Scott
WA-GM Georgia Moffett as Jenny

Basically only Tennant and Piper will probably sell for the cost of a box, if you can even find a buyer. I would guess that the top 7 there at least will be short printed.
jade2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'd definitely be interested, but at half that price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just for fun I decided to see how big an order they would accept. I got it to 1236. As there are 'only' 1500 boxes to begin with, I think it would be fair to say they aren't exactly flying off the shelves
Qexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
Just for fun I decided to see how big an order they would accept. I got it to 1236. As there are 'only' 1500 boxes to begin with, I think it would be fair to say they aren't exactly flying off the shelves
And somebody else tried to buy a box while you had them all in your cart and was like, "huh? how can this dog be sold out?"
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
And somebody else tried to buy a box while you had them all in your cart and was like, "huh? how can this dog be sold out?"
That is remotely possible as I did keep that total in my cart for a good 5 seconds, or less, before immediately updating it to zero. But I seriously doubt I stopped anyone from placing an order. Sorry if you found my little investigation to be out of order.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Definitely not worth buying at full price, but I'm a little surprised so few have been sold after all the sales they have had the past few weeks (including at 50% off last week). Wonder how much lower we will see Topps price them at to move them?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
That is remotely possible as I did keep that total in my cart for a good 5 seconds, or less, before immediately updating it to zero. But I seriously doubt I stopped anyone from placing an order. Sorry if you found my little investigation to be out of order.
You can't possibly have thought that was a serious criticism of your actions and not a joke? The only people trying to put that item in their cart were doing the same thing you were.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You can't possibly have thought that was a serious criticism of your actions and not a joke? The only people trying to put that item in their cart were doing the same thing you were.
Late afternoon having spent some time wrestling with a few little 'quirks' in Excel washed down with only one cup of tea so my caffeine levels were low plus I've been working on my end of year tax return so my sense of humour was away on holiday....plus, like me, you forgot to include any smileys
Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

They were on sale several days ago for $50. Got one box & got the Kingston auto.
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

These are on sale again at 50% off, probably another 24 hour only job though.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

I like the vertical design for the autographs. I don't remember Topps ever doing a vertical design for widevision autos before. It lets them use a nice big picture of the character that the sticker doesn't obscure and no wasted space around the auto sticker.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

So anyone else surprised that Topps has not put these back up for sale?? I bought 2x boxes at the 60%, and looked to see if they were on sale and there's none up. Aggie mentioned to me that they hadn't put them up a week or so ago, but thought by now they'd be listed. I highly doubt they sold out, but perhaps they did?
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, about a week and a half ago, all of the non-sports online exclusive products disappeared from the Topps website (SW AOTC widevision, Doctor Who 10th widevision, Rocky), but all of them were relisted after a couple of days, with the exception of the Doctor Who sets. So wonder if it's an oversight, or wonder if they clearanced them out to someone like BO or DACW, like they did with the football HOF auto packs. I definitely was hoping they would relist them, and then put them back on sale so I could pick up a couple more...
Old 02-15-2017, 11:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

they probably sold out all of the widevision ones after two half off sales. There were only 1500 boxes total after all.
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote