Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Riz Ahmed joins signers for Star Wars Rogue One Series 2

Riz Ahmed joins signers for Star Wars Rogue One Series 2 >> BlowoutBuzz.com

Old 01-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Riz Ahmed, who portrayed Bodhi Rook in Rogue One, will have his first autographed trading cards appear in the March release. Ahmed joins a group of new signers for Topps Star Wars Rogue One Series 2 including Derek Arnold (who portrayed Pao) and Aidan Cook (a creature and droid puppeteer).

Ahmed, who was recently nominated for a Golden Globe Award for his role in The Night Of, has starred in a number of television shows and movies. Topps is thrilled to add the Ahmedís autographed cards to Topps Star Wars Rogue One Series 2, which is shaping up to feature an impressive list of signers.

His autographed cards join an already great group of signers for Topps Star Wars Rogue One Series 2 including Rogue One stars Felicity Jones, Forest Whitaker, Donnie Yen, Genevieve OíReilly, Paul Kasey and Nick Kellington.

So we have two new signers. Bodhi is at least part of the main crew, but hopefully we have another big name coming...

Also Aidan Cook needs to stop signing, Bobajo and Stronto and now another alien who they didn't even mention.

The good part is they kept all the big names from S1 but it seems they didn't cut the low end people either so it'll be more watered down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its' pretty safe to say that this product will be over ordered. Has Topps stated for sure that all Series 1 Signers will be back for series 2?
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

This stuff is going to be sooooo watered down. 1500+ cases probably. Rogue One was fantastic, this will be the opposite IMO.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
This stuff is going to be sooooo watered down. 1500+ cases probably. Rogue One was fantastic, this will be the opposite IMO.
Agreed. I'll do a case to build my mixed set then just finish off with singles. Plus I'll have a ton tied up in ANH 40th (probably watered down like crazy too)
Old 01-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Its' pretty safe to say that this product will be over ordered. Has Topps stated for sure that all Series 1 Signers will be back for series 2?
Yes. The top chunk of my post above is from their new flash about Series 2.

I will not be buying any boxes of Series 2 due to the projected overproduction and expanded signer list.

With a movie that has nearly all new characters you'd think they could get rid of some of the minor aliens and get a few different low level signers for cheap then. What about Warwick Davis at least? He was a background alien, or Edrio's brother? Any of the rebel pilots even would be better than Bastian.

I'm happy they're keeping in the big names, but definitely should've left off the small names for the 2nd wave.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Quote:
This could be true but it's worth mentioning that distributor orders had to be placed before 11/16/16, a full month before series 1 released. Obviously, Topps could print as much as they want but if they are printing based on orders as it has been reported then the success of series 1 would not affect the production of Series 2. Now, if we see 1500 cases we will know that all the feedback that Topps received about overproduction last year did no good. We shall know soon!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Topps can get the actors hard-sign the photos/non-trading card items for the memorabilia brand, but not for the trading card brand?
bjho852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If the sketches for Series 2 were completed in tandem with Series 1, then that would be a huge draw for this release. If they did a second wave of sketches with plans to bump up production, then we may see a flooding of more lower quality sketches.

Other than past experience with Topps overproducing subsequent releases of a title, is there any evidence this release will be treated in the same manner?
slidethefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjho852 View Post
Topps can get the actors hard-sign the photos/non-trading card items for the memorabilia brand, but not for the trading card brand?
I suspect it's a matter of production logistics. Having hand-signed cards means locking down the design early so you can print cards to have the actors sign, locking you into a layout and possibly wasted multiples if another actor falls through. Stickers mean you can lay out the card however you want, change it however late in the game you need.
RonimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonimusPrime View Post
I suspect it's a matter of production logistics. Having hand-signed cards means locking down the design early so you can print cards to have the actors sign, locking you into a layout and possibly wasted multiples if another actor falls through. Stickers mean you can lay out the card however you want, change it however late in the game you need.
Does anyone know if Jones autos will be on-card? Also, will they be redemptions in the packs, or the actual signed card?
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anyone looking forward to series 2?

Hopefully will see on card autograph's this time around.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Decided to skip this one. Will look forward to watching from the sidelines.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidethefive View Post
If the sketches for Series 2 were completed in tandem with Series 1, then that would be a huge draw for this release. If they did a second wave of sketches with plans to bump up production, then we may see a flooding of more lower quality sketches.

Other than past experience with Topps overproducing subsequent releases of a title, is there any evidence this release will be treated in the same manner?
There will be a TON more cases of this, and you'll be lucky to get 1-2 good sketches per case. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

The last release had an estimated 670 cases or so, that's actually where most releases should be to ensure the product isn't watered down with lots of disappointing cases, but sadly I think it's probably likely we'll get more cases this time as Cujo says. I hope I am wrong, but we shall see.

I learnt a lesson some years back that it's generally sound advice not to order the set that follows a hit!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
There will be a TON more cases of this, and you'll be lucky to get 1-2 good sketches per case. Hope I'm wrong, but doubt it.
I've received word that Topps has sold out of Rogue One Series 2, so maybe that's a good sign.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

^ If they are limiting cases of future releases to ensure a fair and decent distribution of quality, than that would be a good thing. Am sceptical, but let's see.