Blowout Cards Forums
17 mega march

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 03:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with how to move low pop PSA 10's

I sent off some of my better condition non-sports cards and was really surprised with how many 10's came back. I'm a complete noob when it comes to actually selling graded low-pop cards. I know eBay is normally the way to go, but is it always the best? Because guessing a price is hard for some of them.

Cards I got back:
Trump - has a pop of 4, one sold on eBay with an accepted best offer, was listed for $11,000. That can't be anywhere near a real number, right?

Adam West - Pop 2
Burt Ward - Pop 1
West/Ward dual - Pop 1

These three are tough because it's three 10's that seem to be better off being sold as a group. Again, pricing on eBay would be next to impossible.

Tyson/Douglas - Pop 1

Again, who knows.

a few random other 10's:

3 Charlie sheens (one auto/relic), 1 Lindsay Lohan, 1 Trump JR, Christian Slater. With those, I'm sure guesswork would be done even though they are all pop 1's (I think one is a pop 2?).

Long story short... HALP!

thanks =D
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with how to move low pop PSA 10's-west.jpg   Need help with how to move low pop PSA 10's-trump.jpg  
derium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Not to rain on the parade but as an observation, the majority of non-sport collectors don't seem to give a hoot about grading/chasing graded cards and see little to no extra value in them than an ungraded equivalent.
They also like to break them out of the slabs!

As for all this 'population' business, is it some sort of competition? So you may have the only one graded on some database most non-sport collectors don't even use. Is it the best compared to all the other 10s that may be floating out there that will never be sent in for grading?

Low population counts for many non-sport cards is less an indicator of potential value but rather an indicator that non-sport collectors simply don't bother with grading.
MisterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

What's with the anomaly of non-sports grading? Weird since sports cards, video games, comic books and all CCGs are heavy into grading. Wonder why it's the odd man out.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derium View Post
What's with the anomaly of non-sports grading? Weird since sports cards, video games, comic books and all CCGs are heavy into grading. Wonder why it's the odd man out.
Can only give you my personal preferences bur eager to hear others opinions too:
- extra text/garish colours at top diminishes overall visual appeal
- easier to store in binders (without top loaders/cases)
- grading is subjective opinion
- grading companies have been known to grade fake cards
- not interested in whether my card is an 8, 9 or 10. "Near-Mint" with no obvious defects is good enough for me
- unless you're buying a card already graded, the inconvenience, expense and possible damage/loss of sending rare cards through the post to an overseas US grading company when a lot of collectors are based internationally
- ultimately why pay more when you can have the same for less?

Last edited by MisterX; 02-04-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

I get that opinion against not wanting graded cards at all. That's fine! I just mean I wonder why as you said most non-sports collectors don't care about graded. When most other cards/games do care. Even in Pokemon, I've been selling all last month $25 Charizards from Evolutions at $160 PSA 10. I personally don't want Pokemon cards to be graded just like you said, but I know a PSA majorly bumps the value up. Was just interesting to head that it's not like that in non-sports, when it is always the rule elsewhere.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Double post!

Last edited by MisterX; 02-04-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

First of all, there are some non-sport collectors that do grade their cards. There are exceptions to every rule.

The biggest things collected in non-sports are authentic autographs and artist sketch cards. At the end of the day, most ns collectors are interested in the art or the signature, and the fact that it's graded doesn't add any value to them. Often it's a hindrance, actually, because they either break it out of the slab or have to find some way to store it outside the way they are storing the rest of their collection.

Vintage non-sport collectors, on the other hand, are big on graded cards.

You have to consider non-sports is very different. It's a catch-all. Comics, television, animation, scifi/fantasy, pop culture, movies, politicians, hot chicks, parody, etc... The collector base is highly varied and most are pretty specialized. There are no rookie cards. Sometimes a premium is placed on the first authentic signature, but more often the premium is based on property or card design. Also, its just a smaller number of people in each little niche. Even if ns collectors had a total boner for PSA 10 cards, the population of people looking for a specific card is so much smaller than a sports card.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derium View Post
I get that opinion against not wanting graded cards at all. That's fine! I just mean I wonder why as you said most non-sports collectors don't care about graded. When most other cards/games do care. Even in Pokemon, I've been selling all last month $25 Charizards from Evolutions at $160 PSA 10. I personally don't want Pokemon cards to be graded just like you said, but I know a PSA majorly bumps the value up. Was just interesting to head that it's not like that in non-sports, when it is always the rule elsewhere.
I suppose the type of item is the most important factor with these things and the ease with which you can find good examples of what you want to buy.

With Pokemon/CCG cards I could easily see collectors willing to pay a premium if they want the reassurance of knowing a card hasnt been handled to death, assuming they don't want to play with the card!

Same with comics that are fragile and condition can deteriorate dramatically and easily. Or circulated (battered) vs. uncirculated coins. All things designed to be handled a lot.

Sports cards and non-sports cards that live their lives in binders or boxes are just not going to suffer much, if any, wear and tear. And with everyone treating things as collectibles these days, everyone is more careful from the get go. With modern cards you'll never have much problem finding high quality ungraded examples and I think most non-sports collectors can see that.

Grading can be a very useful means of showing you have something that warrants more money if good examples are legitimately rare. Simply grading something otherwise fairly obtainable to inflate the price tag is not the same thing at all.

Last edited by MisterX; 02-05-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm one of those people who do in fact get their cards graded. Never understood why others don't care about doing it but to each their own. The way I see it, you have invested money in that card. Why not protect it? Once its slabbed, that its going to take a lot of effort to damage that card. Getting it back in a high grade is an added bonus. People may say that Non-Sports collectors are more into just getting a signature, but see how many people actually buy a card that has dinged corners as opposed to the same card with a BGS 10. Of course that would be irrelevant if they are buying that card to make a custom card.
dukestr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'll add a few points to this. Just my personal perspective.

- grading seems to be judging how well the card is made by the card company, not how well I have taken care of my card
- for vintage, grading makes more sense to me. A beautiful card from 1960 that still looks pack fresh gets a high grade. That makes sense to me. for non-sport, I am pulling these things from the pack into a penny, into a toploader. That is WAY more than we used to do when I was a kid. It's essentially encased immediately, so at this point, grading as I said is not judging me but judging Topps (etc.). So what's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
Can only give you my personal preferences bur eager to hear others opinions too:
- extra text/garish colours at top diminishes overall visual appeal
- easier to store in binders (without top loaders/cases)
- grading is subjective opinion
- grading companies have been known to grade fake cards
- not interested in whether my card is an 8, 9 or 10. "Near-Mint" with no obvious defects is good enough for me
- unless you're buying a card already graded, the inconvenience, expense and possible damage/loss of sending rare cards through the post to an overseas US grading company when a lot of collectors are based internationally
- ultimately why pay more when you can have the same for less?
xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Whenever I end up with a graded card I immediately go for the hammer and screwdriver haha. I just like having all my cards in an organized binder where I can easily flip through them.

Also, sports fans and other hobbyists are looking to grading for future re-sale value. However us non-sports geeks are passionate about their shows and are probably collecting the cards because they are devoted fans. Yeah many decide to sell later on. But most aren't exactly planning to sell. They just wanna enjoy their cards because they love the film/tv show. It's just easier to admire them without a brick of plastic haha.
robomole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukestr89 View Post
I'm one of those people who do in fact get their cards graded. Never understood why others don't care about doing it but to each their own. The way I see it, you have invested money in that card. Why not protect it? Once its slabbed, that its going to take a lot of effort to damage that card. Getting it back in a high grade is an added bonus. People may say that Non-Sports collectors are more into just getting a signature, but see how many people actually buy a card that has dinged corners as opposed to the same card with a BGS 10. Of course that would be irrelevant if they are buying that card to make a custom card.
In your analogy of course everyone would rather have a mint card than one with dinged corners (but some people will buy cards with more noticeable defects if the price is right. A rare card is a rare card afterall).
Plenty of people would also be happy with a non-graded card that doesn't have dinged corners...

You can spend money on things like cards without it being an investment, even if it has resale value. As robomole has said, many collectors buy cards because of fandom, and a plastic holder with a number at the top doesn't add anything to their appreciation of the item itself.

What are you doing to your cards to need that level of protection? But if it really is about protecting your cards, toploaders are enough, or a screwdown/ magnetic case if you need something harder still.

Last edited by MisterX; 02-05-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't know why but as an avid grader of both sports and non sports cards, non sports do not sell well graded. You will eventually find a person to buy it, but 99% of offers will come in around raw values. The fact that pop reports are so low will tell you that people who collect non sports rarely grade.
Branesergen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
The collector base is highly varied and most are pretty specialized. There are no rookie cards. Sometimes a premium is placed on the first authentic signature, but more often the premium is based on property or card design.
If you have a PSA 8 Harrison Ford Star Wars auto card and a PSA 10 Ford Ender's Game auto card, and price them both to grade, you'll leave a bundle on the table with the SW card, and your heirs will be stuck with the Ender's Game card.
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

[QUOTE=MisterX;11917593]In your analogy of course everyone would rather have a mint card than one with dinged corners (but some people will buy cards with more noticeable defects if the price is right. A rare card is a rare card afterall).
Plenty of people would also be happy with a non-graded card that doesn't have dinged corners...

You can spend money on things like cards without it being an investment, even if it has resale value. As robomole has said, many collectors buy cards because of fandom, and a plastic holder with a number at the top doesn't add anything to their appreciation item itself.

What are you doing to your cards to need that level of protection? But if it really is about protecting your cards, toploaders are enough, or a screwdown/ magnetic case if you need something harder still.[/QUOTE

Like I said, to each their own. If you feel Top Loaders are all you need for your collection, I'm not going to say that its wrong. I know when I've purchased items that were sent to me in top loaders, they sometimes managed to slip out and were damaged. To me, the equation is simple. Damage=Worthless. Sure you can always turn a damaged card into a cut piece. But unless you have mad skills like Steve does, you are going to pay more money to get this done. But to my point - I have the only two Emilia Clarke PSA 10 Game of Thrones graded autographed cards. I'm willing to bet that if I had put them on the market for the amount of money that others are asking for them, I would be more likely to sell them before they would.

Last edited by dukestr89; 02-04-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default Need help with how to move low pop PSA 10's

I could care less if a card is graded. In person I would be able to tell if a card would grade a 6 as opposed to a 10. No one wants damage. But the rarity of some of the cards supercedes that of a grade. Generally if a card has a sticker auto it is going to be in better shape since it didn't have to be handled by the celebrity.
I have some graded cards in my pc and they stick out like a sore thumb. I don't need a slab to protect them as a magnetic works just fine and it is uv protective as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by geoffyb; 02-04-2017 at 01:44 PM.
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

im fine with getting autos or vintage cards graded but IMO the stupidest thing is to get a sketch graded. when I see a painted card bleed through the back I know that artist worked their butt off on it...there's is no way a card comes back a PSA 9 or 10 as the card is most likely frail, warped and rippled. So to devalue a sketch of art b/c the condition of a card or comic is garbage and makes no sense.
RIP4CASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
If you have a PSA 8 Harrison Ford Star Wars auto card and a PSA 10 Ford Ender's Game auto card, and price them both to grade, you'll leave a bundle on the table with the SW card, and your heirs will be stuck with the Ender's Game card.
I have to say, I'm very confused by your quoting me with what you've written. Either you've misunderstood my post, or you're giving an example of what I was saying, but in a very awkward manner.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I could care less if a card is graded. In person I would be able to tell if a card would grade a 6 as opposed to a 10. No one wants damage. But the rarity of some of the cards supercedes that of a grade. Generally if a card has a sticker auto it is going to be in better shape since it didn't have to be handled by the celebrity.
I have some graded cards in my pc and they stick out like a sore thumb. I don't need a slab to protect them as a magnetic works just fine and it is uv protective as well.

I get the rarity argument. Let me give you a scenerio. I'm sure that we all can agree that the Jessica Alba Dark Angel autograph card is pretty rare. We are also fully aware of what they sell for on average. Some one put that card on sale with a $400 price tag. That would be a great price for that card. However, the card has one dinged corner. Would you buy it or hold out for a card in better condition and slightly more expensive?

Last edited by dukestr89; 02-04-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I have to say, I'm very confused by your quoting me with what you've written. Either you've misunderstood my post, or you're giving an example of what I was saying, but in a very awkward manner.

I was referring to "the premium is based on property or card design."
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #21 (permalink)

If the ding on said card was horrible I would pass on the card completely. If it was a normal near mint card with a touch of white on the corner I would but it without issue. I am not going to pay a premium for a psa 10 vs a card that looks near mint raw.

geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
If the ding on said card was horrible I would pass on the card completely. If it was a normal near mint card with a touch of white on the corner I would but it without issue. I am not going to pay a premium for a psa 10 vs a card that looks near mint raw.

Fair enough
Old 02-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branesergen View Post
I don't know why but as an avid grader of both sports and non sports cards, non sports do not sell well graded. You will eventually find a person to buy it, but 99% of offers will come in around raw values. The fact that pop reports are so low will tell you that people who collect non sports rarely grade.
When buying cards if there is a graded and a non-graded I usually choose the non-graded. Saves me the hassle of having to break them out since I like having my cards in a binder
tvd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

I'd love to say there is some complex reason that I don't collect graded cards, but it just boils down to... I don't care.
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

All it takes is one person willing to pay more for a PSA 10 to give it a premium.