Blowout Cards Forums
Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg
Default Thoughts on ink color variations for autos?

I'm really interested in what you all think about different ink colors on autograph cards. I was a fan of the red ink variants in Parks & Rec, but thought the number of colors in Bates Motel was overkill. But that's just my opinion and I am just one person.

I ask because I just reached an agreement for my second signer in a set I am releasing this summer. I'll be shipping everything off next week and am contemplating some different ink colors.

On one hand, it's a simple (and inexpensive) way to add limited variations. On the other hand it makes putting together a true master set more difficult and costly.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I like the concept of ink variations for sure and think it's a good route to go as long as you don't overdo it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not a fan of it. I prefer uniformity. I like the regular blue marker that Rittenhouse uses. The black that Crypto uses is OK but tends to streak too much for my liking.
StevieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joudenjouden View Post
it's a good route to go as long as you don't overdo it
Unfortunately IMHO Breygent ruined the Grimm and Dexter sets with too many color autograph variations and inscriptions

Color and inscriptions used to be something rare and special but now not so much.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not a fan of it. Make the card itself different in some way. Change the image, etc. If I were building a set, I'd much prefer to spend extra on a physically different card rather than having to shell out more just to have a different ink color.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I appreciate the feedback so far. I will have some SP with completely different images. I'm thinking that may be enough. Unless there is a flood of support for ink colors.

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

As a rule of thumb, I generally don't care much about different ink colors on the same card and won't pursue variations to complete a set unless there was some reason behind the ink variations. For example, if Amell signed for Arrow and did some in green. But, just making blue, red, green for the sake of making them that color. Meh...

Now, I would like it if cards were designed differently to take the use of a different color ink like the Shield silver signature ones. Absolutely love that style. Although still, that is more a design difference than ink.

If you are going to design cards differently for the signer, at least make them noticeably different. I hate the upper deck design differences where it is person looking left, person looking right, person looking ahead.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Different color ink is cool as long as it isn't overdone, like Parks & Recreation, and especially if you keep track of the number signed each way like with P&R. But you want a decent amount signed in each color so that set collectors can make sets without it being way too hard... don't make one color for example mega short printed to 1 or 5 or something really low. If you want really low numbered parallels, a different card design is preferred instead of just a change in ink color.

But using different color inks can go wrong if you do too many colors, like with several Breygent sets, which is made even worse by half the colors being too light to look good on the cards. While I understand trying to add value, and that using different color ink can add value at a very low cost to the manufacturer, I personally have passed on several Bree Turner Grimm autographs because the autographs look bad to me because of the ink colors chosen, where the autograph looks mega faded or mega light. And haven't picked up many of the Grimm S2 wardrobe autos because of some of the weird color choices for those autographs.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

I liked it in Grimm season 1 because it wasn't over-done (I'm currently working on a master set with ink variations; I've documented 59 variations and have 48). Grimm season 2 got a little silly with the inks.

Last edited by Wyrm; 02-10-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it's a cool variation where it gives the people who want it something to chase, and the ones who don't aren't upset because it's the same damn card. That said, it can be very easily overdone. I'd keep it simple, 5 gold and the rest black, or something good like that.

I always thought having different autograph cards for the same signer was dumb. Sure having a Tony stark and an iron man card is cool, but having two Tony starks was always stupid to me.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Don't like em. I did complete a parks and recreation master set--all ink variants included. The bates motel ones were def a different story. The pens were generic and ink see through on most but the black. Those autographs will fade away if left out for even a short time. I would say putting together that parks and rec set was the most fun I've had in card collecting.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

I prefer just one ink color in a set because it keeps it uniform. Now if the cards are a different color than a second ink would be fine so for example the base card has blue ink and a black parallel of the card has a silver ink.
I am a player collector focusing mainly on Ken Griffey Jr. but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. My secondary collection includes Seattle teams as well as University of Arizona players in the collegiate uniforms.
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks all. I wasn't sold on the idea and wouldn't have even considered it if Press Pass hadn't knocked Parks and Rec out of the park (geez, I wish they were still around). One color it is!

Thanks again for taking the time to chime in.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

I wish they would all use those prismacolor pens that work so well with on card autos
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Blue as the norm with a red varient. That's plenty.
Ty Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
I wish they would all use those prismacolor pens that work so well with on card autos
I have used sharpie ultra durable for years. They are black (ink holds ten times longer than blue unfortunately), when getting things signed at cons. The only thing more permanent is paint, but obviously can't b used very well for big stacks of trading cards. I actually did a study with various pens by writing on a paper and putting said paper in my back window for almost a year. Every color but black sharpie faded away by the end. The ultra permanent was still black, the normal black had faded to light gray. This is marketed as industrial as well, capable of writing an unbroken line even over oily surfaces (states on the pen anyhow). yeah, I take my con autographs seriously lol. This would only matter if u were going to display the cards, but worth noting to op.

Breygent had some horrid ghost whisperer autographs in the past because of the gloss not holding the ink good.