Blowout Cards Forums
2017 topps her bb

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why no Izombie or The 100 sets??

hello, just throwing this out there....

Why are there no Izombie or The 100 sets?

It seems most new sets have have been either star wars or super heroes, not many other shows getting new sets lately.

Im not saying that's bad, I love the Arrow sets.

Maybe most companies are minimizing risk?
smackedsillyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

If a set doesn't exist for a show, probably just one of 4 options.

1. No company has pursued it
2. Company has determined there is no profit to be made in getting the license
3. Show isn't interested in licensing cards
4. Set is in motion behind the scenes.
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Very small fan base. Smaller even than Orphan Black. I would love those sets (The 100 especially).
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cryptozoic was really the one taking risks, and they have cut back big time on the number of sets they are producing to focus on other parts of their business.

Besides CZE, you are primarily looking at Breygent or Rittenhouse, which take on much fewer licenses. Then you're left with really small press, who probably can't afford the minimums.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

All makes sense. Always great to hear the input.

Would others be interested in these sets as I would be?
Only curious cause The 100 just start up again.
smackedsillyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just cross your fingers I win the lottery.....Then we'll get these sets out to the public
Old 02-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

*fingers double crossed*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceGambit3 View Post
Just cross your fingers I win the lottery.....Then we'll get these sets out to the public
BlueForTheVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't seen either of these shows, never heard of them until now either. So I guess the popularity or marketing is just not there for a set to be profitable.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma34 View Post
I haven't seen either of these shows, never heard of them until now either. So I guess the popularity or marketing is just not there for a set to be profitable.
Because *you* never heard of the?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

At the end of the day, it's not really about demand or a publisher having the money. It's about making it worthwhile for the license holder.

License fees are on average 10%. Say the wholesale price for a box of cards is $65, which puts $6.50 in the pockets of the license holder for each box. Leaf produced 300 cases of Family Guy for a total of 3,600 boxes. At $6.50 a box, the total in licensing cost would have been about $23,500.

Many companies use a licensing company to handle merchandising. Those companies keep about 25% of income as their cut. So now the license holder is making about $17,500. I don't know about you, but I am surprised that set was even made. Why would Fox care about $17,500?

And it's not even passive income, they have to work for that. License holders approve every image of every card and every word of copy. Add together base cards, inserts, autographs, etc and you're well over 100 cards. That's less than $175 per card they approve.

When you look at it this granular it's surprising we get any sets. Take a third of those numbers (what the licensing company makes) and you see why many pitches never even make it to the decision makers at the property.

This is why almost all the card sets you see now are part of a franchise. A single set isn't worth it, but if you can release 10 Star Wars or Marvel sets a year it may become cost efficient for the license holder to do trading cards. But for a single show like The 100, it's just not worth the hassle.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

I would b all over izombie.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

iZomobie please! I wouldn't think it would cost a lot for Cryptozoic or Rittenhouse to get most of the actors to sign for the autograph checklist and with the show based on a comic book there are plenty of sketch card subjects.
I am a player collector focusing mainly on Ken Griffey Jr. but I also collect Jay Buhner, Steve Largent and Ryan Bader. My secondary collection includes Seattle teams as well as University of Arizona players in the collegiate uniforms.
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Because *you* never heard of the?
My point was I have never seen shows like Gotham, Arrow, Doctor Who but I have at least heard of them through marketing and people talking casually. The shows in the OP are either too new or maybe don't have a big enough following to get the word out.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
My point was I have never seen shows like Gotham, Arrow, Doctor Who but I have at least heard of them through marketing and people talking casually. The shows in the OP are either too new or maybe don't have a big enough following to get the word out.
Still not true. Both have been on for like 3+ years. You must just run in tv-less circles.

I would love an izombie set. Crypto should hold the licence for that already since it's under the DC Umbrella. I'm hoping season 3 does well. Maybe they'd consider a set then. But rose mciver is probably not the cheapest auto to get. Aly and Anders might not be either. I wouldn't think the others would be too bad. I want a Robert Buckley auto really bad!

For now I'll just collect izombie customs and sketches and other merch. There's not a ton. But there is some.
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #16 (permalink)

I think manufacturers are reluctant to take on new properties because they could get cancelled at any time. There are some sure things, but it seems there needs to be some proven performance before they take the chance. If both of these shows mentioned have been around for a few years, it may happen. I've never heard of The 100 before now, and only know of iZombie because I think the title is stupid.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I think manufacturers are reluctant to take on new properties because they could get cancelled at any time. There are some sure things, but it seems there needs to be some proven performance before they take the chance. If both of these shows mentioned have been around for a few years, it may happen. I've never heard of The 100 before now, and only know of iZombie because I think the title is stupid.

The 100 is in its 4th season.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmallvillelvr View Post
Still not true. Both have been on for like 3+ years. You must just run in tv-less circles.

I would love an izombie set. Crypto should hold the licence for that already since it's under the DC Umbrella. I'm hoping season 3 does well. Maybe they'd consider a set then. But rose mciver is probably not the cheapest auto to get. Aly and Anders might not be either. I wouldn't think the others would be too bad. I want a Robert Buckley auto really bad!

For now I'll just collect izombie customs and sketches and other merch. There's not a ton. But there is some.
I'm going to a con in May and Robert Buckley will be there. I can get you an auto if you want, but the prices there are pretty steep.
tvd2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

Dang you guys are a touchy bunch in here, what the heck is wrong with what I'm saying? Haha please tell me. There is a big thread in the off topic section about tv shows and I have never seen anyone mention these shows.

Just Google'd "Izombie" and see its on the CW channel, that is probably why I haven't seen it.

Edit: Now I'm gonna watch an episode.

Last edited by tacoma34; 02-17-2017 at 08:23 PM.
tacoma34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I just think your ego is a little out of control. If you don't watch the CW, you're not going to see commercials for these shows. Just because they aren't mass marketed doesnt mean they dont have strong followings. Plenty of sefs for niche shows have been successful. I had no idea what adventure time was, and people went nuts for that set. There are plenty of shows and movies I only hear about through people on this forum wanting sets, and I would never have the audacity to say they aren't getting sets because I havent heard of them.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just think your ego is a little out of control. If you don't watch the CW, you're not going to see commercials for these shows. Just because they aren't mass marketed doesnt mean they dont have strong followings. Plenty of sefs for niche shows have been successful. I had no idea what adventure time was, and people went nuts for that set. There are plenty of shows and movies I only hear about through people on this forum wanting sets, and I would never have the audacity to say they aren't getting sets because I havent heard of them.
I think you are reading too much into my comment. I'm just using myself as an example of a potential consumer that they aren't reaching. I'm not saying I am 'too good' to watch this tv show. I mean I watch the SyFy channel on a regular basis so I'm a viewer of pretty dorky shows. As far as marketing goes, it is the shows own prerogative to target the masses or not. But I would think that if a card company were to pick a series up they would want a diverse following, but I might be wrong? Believe me I'm not the type to refer to a movie as a "film" and talk down to what others like.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I think you are reading too much into my comment. I'm just using myself as an example of a potential consumer that they aren't reaching. I'm not saying I am 'too good' to watch this tv show. I mean I watch the SyFy channel on a regular basis so I'm a viewer of pretty dorky shows. As far as marketing goes, it is the shows own prerogative to target the masses or not. But I would think that if a card company were to pick a series up they would want a diverse following, but I might be wrong? Believe me I'm not the type to refer to a movie as a "film" and talk down to what others like.
Sure but you still think if *you* haven't heard of something it doesn't warrant a set, so...

"Diverse" following? I'm not exactly sure what that means, but very few mainstream dramas or comedies have gotten card sets. These things tend to appeal to sci-fi and fantasy fans, and both those shows fit the mix, regardless of whether or not you're familiar with them.

I think they're a lot more likely to get a set than, say, Law And Order SVU or Modern Family or whatever today's critically acclaimed prime time programs are. Yeah those shows have huge followings and you'd have to live under a rock not to have heard of them, but they probably aren't even on a trading card companies radar.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
iZombie is based on a comic book of the same name. While the show is pretty much nothing like the comic, the basic idea was taken from it.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
I've never heard of The 100 before now, and only know of iZombie because I think the title is stupid.
I hadn't heard of either before. A quick Wikipedia glance and The 100 seems interesting. I agree that iZombie has a stupid title, but even an awesome title wouldn't overcome a premise that involves a zombie by the name of Liv Moore. Ouch. But to each their own and I'm glad there's such a variety of shows out there for all of us.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
I hadn't heard of either before. A quick Wikipedia glance and The 100 seems interesting. I agree that iZombie has a stupid title, but even an awesome title wouldn't overcome a premise that involves a zombie by the name of Liv Moore. Ouch. But to each their own and I'm glad there's such a variety of shows out there for all of us.
The show is full of a lot of quirky puns in their names, but I'm not sure how that or even the title make it a bad show. I thought it sounded dumb at first too, but it's awesome. She has to eat brains to stay functiining, but she inherits personality traits and memory flashes from them. Which may sound silly, but while the show is fun it's not silly stupid or anything. It makes it really interesting and she uses to help solve the murders of the victims.