Blowout Cards Forums
2017 nt fb

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would you do with a case of 2002 SW Attack of the Clones Widevision? Frank Oz..

I have a case of the 2002 Star Wars: Attack of the Clones Widevision coming my way. I tried to do a good chunk of research on the set and I believe I got a really good deal. This is the only set with Frank Oz autos and boxes (let alone a case) is extremely rare nowadays.

I have a few options:
Open all the boxes and sell the autos and base sets

Sell individual boxes

Sell the case

If you were in my situation, what would you do? I love cracking packs, but these might be a better sell unopened?

Thanks for your input.
GFD18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would open them. Isn't that the reason you bought the case in the first place?
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd open it and keep all the autos I don't already have but I suppose it depends on the price you paid for the case. The Frank Oz autos seem to not sell for what you'd expect them too.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-17-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ahmad Best also signed for this set. Everyone love Jar Jar
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

The last Frank Oz card sold for $250 BIN, and someone just put up another one on Ebay with a BIN for $275 . . . I would love to get it, but I can't really afford that kinda money right now.
fastfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

How much was the case$$???
daviswr7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Isn't Sam Jackson in this set, too, or is that Revenge of the Sith WV?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

He's in Sith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Isn't Sam Jackson in this set, too, or is that Revenge of the Sith WV?
xtwinstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

There are a lot of unique signers in this set. I would open it! But I'm also chasing a few anyhow. What kind of deal did you get?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Encase it in lucite and bury it in a time capsule so future generations can ponder : Open or Sell?
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
How much was the case$$???
I paid $400 with free shipping for the case.

I plan on selling everything, but would just like to maximize value. I'd LOVE to open packs, but I'm seeing a sealed box that sold on ebay for $133.43 shipped on 2/23. Heh.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post
This is a very good deal!
Archifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFD18 View Post

I plan on selling everything, but would just like to maximize value. I'd LOVE to open packs, but I'm seeing a sealed box that sold on ebay for $133.43 shipped on 2/23. Heh.
If you are just looking for ROI and that's the typical box price, I would sell by the box. Oz is the only autograph that will fetch more than that. I don't think the base sets sell for much and there are no other inserts.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Have fun and open it and hope to make a little money but have a lot of fun. Of course that is just what I would do!
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Actually, the Baker is a nice auto from that series too. I bought my Oz about 2 months ago for $200 from the Bay. Many of the "commons" go for $50+ as well. At least 11 first and only signers in that set.

At any rate I'd be interested in a few autos out of that case! But I can tell you not at $133 / box. You also have to consider how many people are even interested in that set too. I've been chasing since November, and I can tell you MANY of those autos have been on eBay since then. Some for price, but I think more for demand. I've got a lot of best offer action because of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
Oz is the only autograph that will fetch more than that. I don't think the base sets sell for much and there are no other inserts.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Keep the case sealed and sell it. It's worth more sealed because it's so rare to find unopened boxes/cases of older sets. The odds of hitting a Frank Oz are something like 1 in 25 boxes or so, since he is one of the harder to hit group 2 autos. While it would be fun to open, especially since you got the case so cheap, I personally would sell it, and buy something else to open with the profit.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sell enough boxes to recoup your $400 investment and open the rest.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
^^ This.
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

If money is the bottom line, then sell the sealed boxes and make your money that way. Better to make $250-300 selling 8 things that only cost you an hour of your time than make (or lose) ??? and spending 10 hours sorting, packing, listing, opening.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Autographs in that set are 1:24 even though there are 36 packs per box, right?
If that's true, every other box has two autographs, by the odds, so the entire case would yield a pretty nice stack of them. By listing that many singles at once, I think it helps to raise the final value on all of them, as there likely will be people looking to get more than one of them, which can really help with bids. Good luck, whatever you decide...
Old 03-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

I do really like this idea. Thanks! Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Autographs in that set are 1:24 even though there are 36 packs per box, right?
If that's true, every other box has two autographs, by the odds, so the entire case would yield a pretty nice stack of them. By listing that many singles at once, I think it helps to raise the final value on all of them, as there likely will be people looking to get more than one of them, which can really help with bids. Good luck, whatever you decide...
Autos are 1:36 with 36 packs per box
Old 03-20-2017, 04:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think selling the case sealed would bring you the most money.
StevieV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieV View Post
I think selling the case sealed would bring you the most money.
If it was the one sold on Ebay, it wasn't sealed. Was opened. (Which.. can't blame a seller for 2002 product just to make sure it was truly 8 boxes and not resealed with something else)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 AM   #24 (permalink)

I bought a couple of boxes when newly issued and both boxes had two autographs, no big names, but a couple of years later I sold the Ayesha Dharker for about $40, pretty close to the cost of one box 15 years ago. I still have the other three autos I pulled, plus, with the NPN offer, I actually was sent a Frank Oz Yoda, so I have very fond memories of that set.

I double-checked the wrapper and it's definitely 1:24 packs for autographs. It also reminded me that I was disappointed there were no other chase cards of any kind in that set, haha. Beyond that, check the vintage breaks of it at the NSU board, and while it's not a giant sample, you'll see that most of the boxes cracked there had two autographs per box.

The card with the longest odds was Daniel Logan as young Boba, but he's continued to sign as have Bonnie Piesse and Silas Carson who were just as hard to find as the Yoda card. From the lesser known names, Joel Edgerton (as young Owen Lars) has distinguished himself with excellent work since then, so his autograph must have gone up in value from its days as a common. The Jar Jar card will always have camp value, I think, and the on-card full signature Kenny Baker will only continue to gain popularity.

I think there's a full set of these autos listed now that could be had for $1,000, and there's no way to pull all of that from one case, so definitely, to, say, double your money, it's selling the sealed boxes one by one all the way. If opening them, by the odds, you should get 12 autos including 1-2 of the tougher ones, but even with that many, it's hard to see any combination worth $800 (or more). Too bad there weren't variations or parallels of these autographs (or various inscriptions from Frank Oz on the Yoda cards!), as that might make them more tempting to open, which of course, is the most fun.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Here's the particulars:

I did include the NPN offer in the picture as it hits my happy spot every time I'm reminded my Frank Oz autograph cost me only 8 stamped envelopes and a little bit of handwriting. I'm also a big Muppets fan, and I love his movies as director, particularly "Little Shop of Horrors". It was instantly one of my favorite cards and remains so. Thanks again, Topps!)

Last edited by jdandns; 03-21-2017 at 02:04 AM.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote