Blowout Cards Forums
2016 international shipping

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Local auction win - Star Trek Pinball Machine

There's a small auction company in my general area that just turns over stuff from estates and commercial businesses. They had basic pics of the machine and added, "plugged in doesn't power on". Looked worth the gamble after some research.
Won it for $275
Got it to my garage, flicked the switch underneath (they missed that), works okay. Not sure about the transporter graphics yet in the main window. Too cold to keep playing with it. Will need some cosmetic restoring but well worth the gamble.
1991 Data East Star Trek

Vinny
Attached Thumbnails
Local auction win - Star Trek Pinball Machine-img_2274.jpg   Local auction win - Star Trek Pinball Machine-img_2281.jpg   Local auction win - Star Trek Pinball Machine-img_2277.jpg  
VinnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default It works

Old 03-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

LOVE mechanical pinball machines! Congrats!
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

My cousin would be jealous, he has 11 machines right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want sell it, my cousin would pay you $500 for it

gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
If you want sell it, my cousin would pay you $500 for it

Today I would take $1000 but really planning to clean it up and restore it to get more eventually. I'm researching how to clean it up first to keep it as original as I can. If it's standard to use touchup paints on the black body I may do that. No rush, waiting for the next nice day here to open the garage door and start.

Vinny
Old 03-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

nice pickup, congrats!
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome! I would love to collect pinball machines from my favorite properties. But I need more space first.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Beautiful, especially at that price. It was barely over a dollar a pound!
Here's the specs and lots more pictures:

Internet Pinball Machine Database: Data East 'Star Trek'

Congrats!
Old 03-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Beautiful, especially at that price. It was barely over a dollar a pound!
Here's the specs and lots more pictures:

Internet Pinball Machine Database: Data East 'Star Trek'

Congrats!
Thanks, I saw that page as I Googled all I could right before committing to the project. There are a lot of pinball fanatics out there.

Vinny
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yup, I'm going to the Arcade Expo in Banning, California tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some pictures of some of the rarer machines. (The have hundreds of videos and pinballs there. It's like a museum but is only open for special events like these.)
Mostly, I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I played as a kid (late 70's and early 80's) and haven't seen since.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

That is cool
TimBuckTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

They opened a classic arcade and pinball place near me. I took the kids there 2 weeks ago and had a ball. He said he has tons of other games that he switches out every so often.
He had a Star Wars Pinball one with a video screen that you tried to destroy ships.
There was a Family Guy one with a bonus level that had a mini pinball game of Stewie within the regular game.
I told the owner that I would love to play the Mario and Adams family ones. They remind of the summer trips up to Okoboji lake. That and the WWF game from the 80's whatever that was called.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
They opened a classic arcade and pinball place near me. I took the kids there 2 weeks ago and had a ball. He said he has tons of other games that he switches out every so often.
He had a Star Wars Pinball one with a video screen that you tried to destroy ships.
There was a Family Guy one with a bonus level that had a mini pinball game of Stewie within the regular game.
I told the owner that I would love to play the Mario and Adams family ones. They remind of the summer trips up to Okoboji lake. That and the WWF game from the 80's whatever that was called.
I see what you did there!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

great pickup! I would love to have a pinball machine, but I have too many cards
HiltonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
Yup, I'm going to the Arcade Expo in Banning, California tomorrow. I'm going to try to get some pictures of some of the rarer machines. (The have hundreds of videos and pinballs there. It's like a museum but is only open for special events like these.)
Mostly, I'm looking forward to seeing the ones I played as a kid (late 70's and early 80's) and haven't seen since.
Cool! I have been to the last two arcade expos. This is my third visit to the Expo, was there last night and just got back from Day #2. Going back tomorrow for Day #3. Got the three day pass. Between the Expo and seeing Duran Duran in concert last night, I've probably been standing on my feet for 20 hours the last three days. My feet are absolutely killing me. lol

It's worth it just for the new 60's Batman and Ghostbusters Pins. Oh and they have an absolute pristine Firepower machine. Probably my favorite pinball ever. Have fun!!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks! Had a blast there today. Got in around noon and toggled back and forth between the video and pinball rooms until they cut the power at 7pm to get everyone out of there. What an amazing collection of games there, basically a museum where you get to play the exhibits.

Great day, a lot of memories. They're doing something in October. We might head back out there for that. Helps that it's only about a half an hour drive from our house.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Nice! I plan to buy a machine for a rec room eventually, but it's hard to pick just one! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

Insane steal! Any working themed machine for under $500 is a great deal. But Star Trek is nearly Tops. Even non-pinball collectors would take a flyer at it for their man room.

I have a about a dozen arcade games and pinball is the biggest pain in the arse to move and it always seems like something is going wrong with one of them. You mentioned it was cold by you, leaving that machine in the garage will kill it.

The rubber bumpers can get brittle and crack in the cold, and dont get me started on the solenoids!

As for cleaning it up, slide out the top glass and give the playfield a nice cleaning with Milwax. Then a nice carnuba for waxing. Apply either of them to a cloth and not directly on the field. I wouldn't fart with any of the components if you dont understand them.

If some light wont go on, just look for a loose wire or clip. These heavy animals get banged around when moving, so it might be an easy fix.

Most of your body is black, I wouldn't bother filling or repainting anything unless you really want to spend some time. I have a "Comet" pinball machine thats mostly black, and a black sharpie really did the trick well to hide anything.

Last edited by Grid; 03-20-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
Insane steal! Any working themed machine for under $500 is a great deal. But Star Trek is nearly Tops. Even non-pinball collectors would take a flyer at it for their man room.

I have a about a dozen arcade games and pinball is the biggest pain in the arse to move and it always seems like something is going wrong with one of them. You mentioned it was cold by you, leaving that machine in the garage will kill it.

The rubber bumpers can get brittle and crack in the cold, and dont get me started on the solenoids!

As for cleaning it up, slide out the top glass and give the playfield a nice cleaning with Milwax. Then a nice carnuba for waxing. Apply either of them to a cloth and not directly on the field. I wouldn't fart with any of the components if you dont understand them.

If some light wont go on, just look for a loose wire or clip. These heavy animals get banged around when moving, so it might be an easy fix.

Most of your body is black, I wouldn't bother filling or repainting anything unless you really want to spend some time. I have a "Comet" pinball machine thats mostly black, and a black sharpie really did the trick well to hide anything.
Thanks for all the info. I tend to be hesitant to drastic fixes. My first move will be a nice cleaning.
I'll post more info soon. It's 45 today so I may start the basics. Hopefully Spring arrives soon because it's gonna be in the garage for a while.

Thanks,
Vinny