Blowout Cards Forums
Trade In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #76 (permalink)

There is of course a further option of nothing. lol.

I have a feeling GF Reborn might be quite good. Nothing in particular to shape this, just a feeling.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
There is of course a further option of nothing. lol.

I have a feeling GF Reborn might be quite good. Nothing in particular to shape this, just a feeling.
I vote nothing lol.

Honestly, if people stopped blindly pre-ordering without more info and made Topps give us a checklist first that'd be a huge plus, but it will never happen.

Luckily prices don't tend to swing too much after the checklist if you act quick, it's more after print run is confirmed and there's a mad rush on the market like with R1S2.

The advantage of MW3 is 3 new signers confirmed. However, Tudyk could've also signed for GF Reborn, but we won't know til July most likely. Same with the other signers.

If Topps was smart they'd have made a big deal about new signers in the sell sheet since that's a big draw, especially with 2 bigger names joining.

I'm already calling a FPJ/SMG dual and a Jango/Boba dual. Not sure how they'll run the R1 signers, but I can only assume a multi-auto for them too.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #78 (permalink)

Topps announce today that they have landed Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma for this set.

They also previewed a triple auto that has Snoke, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma.

Now that is a sweet triple!

From the preview it looks like she will have a bigger and badder part for Episode 8.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post
Topps announce today that they have landed Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma for this set.

From the preview it looks like she will have a bigger and badder part for Episode 8.
I'm curious how many actors didn't sign earlier due to Topps delaying them to keep adding 1 big person every so many sets versus quality lineups each set :/

If Upper Deck can land damn near full cast for GotG, no reason Topps couldn't land these new Star Wars actors.

I'm betting Poe is around the corner with TLJ S2 or something.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhaugh11 View Post

That's a welcomed addition. I had hoped that since she signed for GOT topps would be able to snag her as well.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:38 PM   #81 (permalink)

I literally JUST put in my pre-order through Blowout. Awesome. This has me even more excited! So glad they managed to get Phasma!
BlueForTheVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #82 (permalink)

Interesting news. I wonder what they meant by saying they inserted 'a couple'. Sounds ltd...
Old 05-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #83 (permalink)

Topps is obviously adding 1 new big name to each set.
They could have got them all or most of them right away if they wanted, but they also want to keep interest and pump out more product!

We are all suckers because we want to be! LOL
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:14 AM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Honestly, if people stopped blindly pre-ordering without more info and made Topps give us a checklist first that'd be a huge plus, but it will never happen.
Not going to happen this year. Look how Topps rewarded people that preordered cases upon cases of 40th and S2. BO hasn't sold a box of S2 in weeks yet the price is still $140. Why? Who knows. S2 and 40th are not worth over $100 a box but the distributors are playing games with Star Wars boxes this year. It's a good year for distributors and case breakers but fans buying single boxes are getting owned.
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Not going to happen this year. Look how Topps rewarded people that preordered cases upon cases of 40th and S2. BO hasn't sold a box of S2 in weeks yet the price is still $140. Why? Who knows. S2 and 40th are not worth over $100 a box but the distributors are playing games with Star Wars boxes this year. It's a good year for distributors and case breakers but fans buying single boxes are getting owned.
Cypher, do you understand the difference between DISTRIBUTOR and RETAILER?? We have discussed this ad nauseam.

If you must insist on speaking your voice on these boards, do some research and educate yourself on the difference.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:

S2 was a very solid release, worth $110 range, $140 is excessive.

40th on the other hand is like a $85 box at best, and that's being generous based on the breaks we've seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2017, 05:01 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Cypher, do you understand the difference between DISTRIBUTOR and RETAILER?? We have discussed this ad nauseam.

If you must insist on speaking your voice on these boards, do some research and educate yourself on the difference.
What do you consider Blowout? No reason to get upset. If you can afford to preorder cases months before release Star Wars has been good this year. Single box buyers are mostly getting owned. A lot of the product threads this year have been hyped up by people that only buy star wars as an investment.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #88 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Quote:
What do you consider Blowout? No reason to get upset. If you can afford to preorder cases months before release Star Wars has been good this year. Single box buyers are mostly getting owned. A lot of the product threads this year have been hyped up by people that only buy star wars as an investment.
Like any product or cards the prices are set by the market. If people are willing to pay x amount then that product is worth x amount. If they don't pay x amount then the value will drop. It happens everyday. Also if the value drops below cost are you going to say Topps is punishing those who preorder?

You and everyone else had a chance to preorder but you didn't. So either pay x amount or wait and hope it goes down. There is no reason to get upset and accuse others of playing games. I guarentee if you had a ton of 40th you wouldn't be selling at preorder prices either.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
This HAS been discussed a lot but here goes again...

I believe this is the proper breakdown "tier-wise"

Topps Direct Accounts: Everyone gets it at cost who has those accounts

Brick & Mortar Distributors: GTS, Southern Hobby, ect, who sells to brick and mortar shops and some of the big online breakers or people with a TaxID #. They get at slightly above cost.

Online Distributors: BO, DA, Steel, ect. There prices are slightly above those "Brick & Mortar Distributors". And you don't need a TaxID# to purchase from online Distributors.

Dealers and Retailers and everyone else: Your LCS, Card Show dealers, online breakers who are selling to everyone at what is usually the "secondary market"/eBay pricing. Usually this price is reflective at what it's going for AFTER release.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Like any product or cards the prices are set by the market.
Tell me another card product this year that has doubled presale price before release? There is something shady going on with star wars this year. The only people buying at these prices are case breakers.

It's interesting and worth looking into.

Last edited by cypher; 05-14-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Tell me another card product this year that has doubled presale price before release? There is something shady going on with star wars this year. The only people buying at these prices are case breakers.

You are taking one product out of context and making a generalization.

Star Wars 40th was a huge question mark from day one. I know breakers who sat out because they thought it would be the most massively produced SW product in history. Distributors were shy about releasing all of their inventory with so many question marks. As the release got closer, everyone pulled it down from sale creating an illusion of scarcity. Prices naturally went up. Cases were selling easily at $900+ on eBay, so clearly there were buyers at that rate.

Now that the product is released, it has settled to a price that the average Joe is apparently willing to pay. My LCS sold out quickly and he ordered his max allocation. Boxes are still flying off of eBay at the higher price point. You may disagree that the product is worth $125 a box, but the market of buyers disagrees with you. They are willing to gamble on a top autograph even if the odds are against them.

ROS2 is priced exactly where it should be for a product that was under 400 cases. That one was sill available for $1050 the day before release. It was driven solely by low production and being loaded with great sketches. People are still paying for the improved odds of hitting a 1/1 or top sketch.

Galactic Files and Journey are both still pre-selling at normal prices. If you want those products, lock them up now. Pay your deposit and wait. Worst case scenario you can forfeit your deposit if either release turns out to be horrid. You could have done the same with ROS2 or SW40th.

The point is, all of these products were reasonably priced at one point. You are complaining about something that happened after the fact. Go and lock your product up now so that we don't have to hear you complain in July or September when those other two are $1,300.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm guessing that you haven't been paying attention to most Topps Baseball products this year lol. It's not only Star Wars- try finding Flagship,Heritage or Bowman anywhere near presale pricing. As others have stated, this is driven by simple supply and demand.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
There is something shady going on with star wars this year. The only people buying at these prices are case breakers.
Why is it shady if the market is supporting a price increase? There are plenty of box breakers buying this at $125+. It's not a very solid investment at that price, but it's selling. If dealers are still sitting on a lot of this after the "May the 4th" and "40th Anniversary" hype die down you might see prices lower back to around $100. But this looks to be a product general fans are gravitating towards, so it's popular.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Why is it shady if the market is supporting a price increase? There are plenty of box breakers buying this at $125+. It's not a very solid investment at that price, but it's selling. If dealers are still sitting on a lot of this after the "May the 4th" and "40th Anniversary" hype die down you might see prices lower back to around $100. But this looks to be a product general fans are gravitating towards, so it's popular.
In one of his earlier posts he claimed that "BO hasn't sold a box of ROS2 in weeks". That's the problem right there. Some people believe that BO will keep their prices high even if an item isn't selling. That's not how you run a business. I think cypher assumes that all customers are avoiding at that price when in fact many are still buying.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
How can you know what Blowout has sold of a single product?
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
In one of his earlier posts he claimed that "BO hasn't sold a box of ROS2 in weeks". That's the problem right there. Some people believe that BO will keep their prices high even if an item isn't selling. That's not how you run a business. I think cypher assumes that all customers are avoiding at that price when in fact many are still buying.
Doesn't matter if they have or haven't sold any, the market remains high for that set no matter where you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
How can you know what Blowout has sold of a single product?
Wondering that myself, unless they have the specific quantity listed as they do when it gets limited.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:34 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
You are taking one product out of context and making a generalization.

Star Wars 40th was a huge question mark from day one. I know breakers who sat out because they thought it would be the most massively produced SW product in history. Distributors were shy about releasing all of their inventory with so many question marks. As the release got closer, everyone pulled it down from sale creating an illusion of scarcity. Prices naturally went up. Cases were selling easily at $900+ on eBay, so clearly there were buyers at that rate.

Now that the product is released, it has settled to a price that the average Joe is apparently willing to pay. My LCS sold out quickly and he ordered his max allocation. Boxes are still flying off of eBay at the higher price point. You may disagree that the product is worth $125 a box, but the market of buyers disagrees with you. They are willing to gamble on a top autograph even if the odds are against them.

ROS2 is priced exactly where it should be for a product that was under 400 cases. That one was sill available for $1050 the day before release. It was driven solely by low production and being loaded with great sketches. People are still paying for the improved odds of hitting a 1/1 or top sketch.

Galactic Files and Journey are both still pre-selling at normal prices. If you want those products, lock them up now. Pay your deposit and wait. Worst case scenario you can forfeit your deposit if either release turns out to be horrid. You could have done the same with ROS2 or SW40th.

The point is, all of these products were reasonably priced at one point. You are complaining about something that happened after the fact. Go and lock your product up now so that we don't have to hear you complain in July or September when those other two are $1,300.
VERY good post.

Also, he cannot know what Blowout sells, Chris and blowout sell direct to a LOT of people that does not affect what the site states is "in stock" etc. Also, they change that daily.

Also Cypher, as Jack pointed out, what about the other 90% of the products that go way down after release? What's the conspiracy there?
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 PM   #98 (permalink)

Yep I agree with the original post & Cujo above. At the end of the day, if you are nervous you might miss out, then just preorder a case early. Everybody is generally on the same page that over the last few years it's got too risky to preorder large volume with the increasing risk of getting stung, but as we start to see the odd good release creep back in, then if you like the look of a release you might as well preorder a case if you are going to get really upset about missing out or rising prices on the cusp of a release.