Blowout Cards Forums
2017 April Shower

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unannounced TOPPS Star Wars Stellar (HIGH price point!)

Talking with a TOPPS employee at the booth, looks like they're doing a set featuring "top 40" signers only, very limited run (can't remember if he said 100 card set or only 100 sets made) and it's like $6,500 to distributors per box.

Whether or not details change, who knows, this was all from a TOPPS employee and I have no clue where in the chain of operations he falls.

He also said they're having most/all the people at Celebration signing for upcoming sets. Didn't specify if they'd be on card autos or just sticker sheets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
Talking with a TOPPS employee at the booth, looks like they're doing a set featuring "top 40" signers only, very limited run (can't remember if he said 100 card set or only 100 sets made) and it's like $6,500 to distributors per box.

Whether or not details change, who knows, this was all from a TOPPS employee and I have no clue where in the chain of operations he falls.

He also said they're having most/all the people at Celebration signing for upcoming sets. Didn't specify if they'd be on card autos or just sticker sheets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow... intere$ting price point!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

If true, I'm guessing collectors top 40 is very different from Topps top 40.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

For 6500/box, you'd hope they'd be on card autos.
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ford, Lucas, Ridley, Hayden Christiansen, Hamill, Boyega, John Williams, Felicity Jones, Rian Johnson. Who else at celebration would be a top signer? Even this list of names is pushing it
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdelan1 View Post
For 6500/box, you'd hope they'd be on card autos.
You open the box, and it's a folded piece of paper with 40 stickers on it.
Malavon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Who wants to speculate on a card for card breakdown. I'd assume for the Ford and Lucas, that would have to be $3-$4,000 together. If they could get Sam Jackson to sign and maybe (gasp) Portman, the price is definitely worth it.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
Ford, Lucas, Ridley, Hayden Christiansen, Hamill, Boyega, John Williams, Felicity Jones, Rian Johnson. Who else at celebration would be a top signer? Even this list of names is pushing it
You can get great 8x10s of ALL these people for a lot less than $7K total.
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

After their baseball success I expected they would go this route with their other licenses.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

At that point youre just buying them, no chance of a bigger name for lower price.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'd do that much for a screen used panel from the Falcon signed by all 40.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
gdelan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
At that point youre just buying them, no chance of a bigger name for lower price.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
I'm actually ok with that approach. Maybe not for Star Wars, as this price point is a little rich for my blood. But, I wish that mfrs would release complete sets for smaller licenses.

It would be nice, as a collector, to get the set directly and remove the gambling component.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Group break thoughts? Let's say they sell it for $7,500 (might be high). 40 signers so about $188 a spot. Worth it? Short answer, no. Long answer, nope. I still can't believe I have a nice, framed, full signature of Daisy Ridley for under $500 from Steiner. I love cards but yikes, after that, it's been difficult to justify buying wax for a chance at her or others.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Maybe I misinterpreted, but when I read "featuring only the top 40 signers", I did not assume they would all be in each box.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Maybe I misinterpreted, but when I read "featuring only the top 40 signers", I did not assume they would all be in each box.
It should be like Transcendent. They will probably include a sealed set /40 /50 etc and an auto of each signer. /25 /10 /5 etc...

Possibly an invite to something SW related... doubt it would be for The Last Jedi Premiere... but maybe 2018 Celebration VIP Party
Ferg1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

You might as well just buy a Ford Auto for $5,000.00 or so and skip this. top 40 signers. Honestly, there are about 6 or 7 signers in the Star Wars Universe that may make this worthwhile, and unfortunately one of them is deceased.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Count Me in. If I can finally get ALL the big names in the same design then I am happy
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

they could easily do a similar thing to transcendance and include things like super high quality sketches, heaps of 1/1s, dual/triple/quad+ on card autos maybe even a 1/1 redemption for a screen used lightsaber? I could definitely see there being interest in this, especially for the group break scene
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

There is certainly a way Topps can make this a homerun like they did with the baseball version. They can also make it so that it is a dumpster fire and boxes will be half the price in a month.
I will hold my judgement until I hear more. Obviously I will not be buying a box, but if it looks decent, I will get into a group break.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

I didn't really get in to cards for this sort of product. If I really wanted to get high end cards for that money, I would just buy them directly from eBay. I like the fun of opening boxes and sometimes winning. Maybe a group break is an option for me, but I wouldn't buy a box.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
I didn't really get in to cards for this sort of product. If I really wanted to get high end cards for that money, I would just buy them directly from eBay. I like the fun of opening boxes and sometimes winning. Maybe a group break is an option for me, but I wouldn't buy a box.
At that sort of price point very few people are going to be buying boxes, same with the $27K box of cards that Topps did, however it will still move as there will be lots of people that want a chance at a really high end card and most of the card companies have recognised the breaker market
Xazark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Not a fan of this from what little we know, but will be interested to learn more about it.

But I think people are probably setting their expectations a little high. When Topps says "top 40" autographs, I assume they are talking the top 40 autographs they currently can get and have had in their products this year. I would not expect Lucas or Portman, etc. If they did get some new bigger names, of course that would make it better. But I'm sure they are looking at the breakdown like:

Original trilogy - 15-20 autos - worth $3000-4000 (that might seem high, but Ford + Hamill + Fisher is already like $2000-2500).
Force Awakens - 10 autos - worth $2000 (assuming Ridley is still worth $1000+)
Rogue One - 5-10 autos - worth $1000
animated series - 5 autos - worth $500 (assuming Gellar is part of this)

That's already getting to the type of value Topps is likely thinking about putting into these boxes. This is assuming that every box will have a complete set of 40 autographs. If it's like Transcendent, then there will also probably be a handful of additional parallel autos per box. So IF Topps does get some "new" signers for this set, at best I would guess it would be bringing back people like James Earl Jones; and assuming they've signed Sarah Michelle Gellar to a contract, adding her. And those would be good adds; but not like Lucas or Portman.

The biggest reason I'm not a fan of this set is that dropping 100-125 Ford and Ridley autos (and all the other big names) on the market at one time will probably have a big negative effect on their card values. Great if you just want to pick up one of the autographs on an official Star Wars card (and great if you want an easy way to have a complete auto set). But bad for those who already own their autographs.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Not a fan of this from what little we know, but will be interested to learn more about it.

But I think people are probably setting their expectations a little high. When Topps says "top 40" autographs, I assume they are talking the top 40 autographs they currently can get and have had in their products this year. I would not expect Lucas or Portman, etc. If they did get some new bigger names, of course that would make it better. But I'm sure they are looking at the breakdown like:

Original trilogy - 15-20 autos - worth $3000-4000 (that might seem high, but Ford + Hamill + Fisher is already like $2000-2500).
Force Awakens - 10 autos - worth $2000 (assuming Ridley is still worth $1000+)
Rogue One - 5-10 autos - worth $1000
animated series - 5 autos - worth $500 (assuming Gellar is part of this)

That's already getting to the type of value Topps is likely thinking about putting into these boxes. This is assuming that every box will have a complete set of 40 autographs. If it's like Transcendent, then there will also probably be a handful of additional parallel autos per box. So IF Topps does get some "new" signers for this set, at best I would guess it would be bringing back people like James Earl Jones; and assuming they've signed Sarah Michelle Gellar to a contract, adding her. And those would be good adds; but not like Lucas or Portman.

The biggest reason I'm not a fan of this set is that dropping 100-125 Ford and Ridley autos (and all the other big names) on the market at one time will probably have a big negative effect on their card values. Great if you just want to pick up one of the autographs on an official Star Wars card (and great if you want an easy way to have a complete auto set). But bad for those who already own their autographs.
I agree with this. Top 40 is highly likely to be existing signers, and there is a danger this could harm the strong Ford and Ridley prices if they dropped a few hundred boxes. The other thing to note is that this product could eat up stocks of Carrie Fisher autos which means future sets are likely to have only a few of these autos at best.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #24 (permalink)

For Topps Transcendent Baseball they did only make 65 boxes, so even if they did make a full set of autos per box, it would not be that many for each signer.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

I think this would be a decent idea if they follow something similar to Transcendent
Include a give a way trip (similar to bryant meet and greet)
a 40th anniversary special base set (# to 65)
have a cut in each box
parallels
Solid signer list if they get 40% of this it is a win. (wishful thinking I know)

Ford, Hamill, Kath Kennedy, JJ, Rian, Liam, Sam Jackson, Ewan, Hayden, Felicity, Daisy, Boyega, Driver, Serkis, Anthony Daniels, Mayhew, SMG, Freddie, Forest Whitaker, Lucas, John Williams, Billy Dee, Frank Oz, Ian Mc,Gwen Christie, Yen, Lupita, JEJ, Prowse, Portman, riz ahmed, Diego Luna, Jiang wen, Alan Tudyk, Mendelshon, Mikkelsen, Oscar Isaac, Gleeson, Max Von Sydow
DarthRogahn is offline   Reply With Quote