Blowout Cards Forums
Trade In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
If there are that few sets then the base sets themselves will not be cheap.
yea i agree its all guesses i am throwing out there

I dont ship outside the USA
nera20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:17 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
That's what I was trying to say before, its like a mini sugar free.

However sugar free had a lot more signers and undisclosed amount made, not sure if anyone ever ran the odds or not to determine print run.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
I think it's the autograph list that makes the difference. It *seems* like much better odds to get a main cast signer in the May 4th set, but of course the odds could be the same at the end of the day. I also like the cards better.

I don't think the two are similar, but just my opinion.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think it's the autograph list that makes the difference. It *seems* like much better odds to get a main cast signer in the May 4th set, but of course the odds could be the same at the end of the day. I also like the cards better.

I don't think the two are similar, but just my opinion.
True, hopefully the odds are better of getting a top name than Sugar Free.
I guess this set will be 90% boxes get $30 worth of cards and 10% doing very nicely.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:

However sugar free had a lot more signers and undisclosed amount made, not sure if anyone ever ran the odds or not to determine print run.
Based on the parallels, I think we determined there were about 2,050 sets of Sugar Free, of which 800 or so are left. Not bad, considering the only price breaks on it so far have been free shipping with pre-order and the 25% off we just had for May the 4th.

That sale is pretty much what caused me not to get the May the 4th set, since I opted for Sugar Free first and by the time I replenished my funds, the OnDemand set had sold out. We'll see how that turns out, but no sour grapes whatsoever from me. I hoping to see some great stuff come out of those sets for you guys.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #130 (permalink)

I hope the packaging is sealed with some type of security seal and not just in plastic cases.
Sapphire Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Sports View Post
I hope the packaging is sealed with some type of security seal and not just in plastic cases.
Right! If it only has the round Topps sticker over the edge like the other products Topps has sold in plastic cases then I would not touch these on the secondary market. I'm still hoping that a few sets come available at the last minute due to credit card failures or whatever but if not I'll be content picking up a set without the auto. Can't wait to see what you guys pull out of multiple sets, there are sure to be some winners in the group.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #132 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Right! If it only has the round Topps sticker over the edge like the other products Topps has sold in plastic cases then I would not touch these on the secondary market. I'm still hoping that a few sets come available at the last minute due to credit card failures or whatever but if not I'll be content picking up a set without the auto. Can't wait to see what you guys pull out of multiple sets, there are sure to be some winners in the group.
I wonder if the parallels will be bonus cards like in Sugar Free or if they'll be part of the 20 you get and it may take 2 sets to have a full base set.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #133 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if the parallels will be bonus cards like in Sugar Free or if they'll be part of the 20 you get and it may take 2 sets to have a full base set.
This thought crossed my mind, and I would hope they'd be bonus cards. It'd be nice to get a parallel, but if that means I don't have a full base set, that kind of stinks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Zeldafanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #134 (permalink)

Quote:
I really doubt if they take away a base card and replace it with a parallel card.
It should be a 99.9% chance you will get a full 20 card base set.
jdhaugh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #135 (permalink)

So I thought they pulled the product page because I could not find it advertised on the main page or on the Star Wars page like I had previously, but it is still there, just specifically have to click on Topps on Demand to get to it.

Countdown timer still in effect and still sold out: 3 Days; 2 Hours; 26 Minutes; 14 Seconds

According to the description, assuming there are no delays, this product should ship in 10-13 business days.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGhostbuster View Post
So I thought they pulled the product page because I could not find it advertised on the main page or on the Star Wars page like I had previously, but it is still there, just specifically have to click on Topps on Demand to get to it.

Countdown timer still in effect and still sold out: 3 Days; 2 Hours; 26 Minutes; 14 Seconds

According to the description, assuming there are no delays, this product should ship in 10-13 business days.
I can only assume Tim Rose and Mike Quinn are like the women being milked in Mad Max Fury Road, and are chained to desks signing sheet upon sheet of stickers for this release haha.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #137 (permalink)

I have no idea how I missed this set, but with my luck, Topps will do something insane and have equal distribution for all signers.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:31 PM   #138 (permalink)

Regardless of the autograph - the fact that these are on vintage style card stock is a big +++ for me ... I wasn't interested in the sugar free set as it was just another set, but those vintage borders get me every time. (Yes, I bought a full run of the Rogue One cards from Topps too).

And I know they won't be quite so uber-limited, but the money that was being paid for those four 40th promos from Orlando suggests that the base sets will have decent resell value.
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #139 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
Regardless of the autograph - the fact that these are on vintage style card stock is a big +++ for me ... I wasn't interested in the sugar free set as it was just another set,
Sugar Free was a reprint of a vintage set of gum wrappers.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #140 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:
Regardless of the autograph - the fact that these are on vintage style card stock is a big +++ for me ... I wasn't interested in the sugar free set as it was just another set, but those vintage borders get me every time. (Yes, I bought a full run of the Rogue One cards from Topps too).

And I know they won't be quite so uber-limited, but the money that was being paid for those four 40th promos from Orlando suggests that the base sets will have decent resell value.
1977 -1978 STAR WARS Sugar-Free Bubble Gum Sealed Wax Box | eBay
Old 05-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:

Orlando was /200, unannounced, and of top 4 characters. Only way to get those was to go and spend $50 for one of them. A lot more work involved there.

There's gotta be at least 1,000 or more of these made I'd bet. At a minimum 500. And they were online for anyone to buy for that while. Now there will be a few people who may panic, but I'd guess base sets will be $20-$40 after a week or so.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2017, 06:14 PM   #142 (permalink)

My guess for Topps' packaging of these sets:

Set and auto packaged in the plastic slider box shown on the web site, possibly a round "Topps" sticker sealing each side, with the autograph visible on the top or bottom of the set in the plastic box.

Last edited by Dewman; 05-08-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #143 (permalink)

The autograph shouldn't be visible at all. Couldn't it get cherry picked out. Sounds worrying.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richo View Post
The autograph shouldn't be visible at all. Couldn't it get cherry picked out. Sounds worrying.
Yeah, that's why I guessed Topps would package them that way.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman View Post
My guess for Topps' packaging of these sets:

Set and auto packaged in the plastic slider box shown on the web site, possibly a round "Topps" sticker sealing the sides, with the autograph visible on the top or bottom of the set in the plastic box.
If the Topps Now Chicago Cubs world series set is any indication, this is how it will go. You can't buy these on the secondary market without the seller telling you who the auto is, otherwise it is too easy to get taken advantage of. If you didn't purchase directly from Topps, I think you've missed your window. Buying a pre-sale set from a seller will allow them to cherry pick for sure.
mlbexpert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:56 PM   #146 (permalink)

Right, at this price, if its blind packaging, these sets are getting opened by the original buyers of them, pretty much all of them. Who wants to open 19 of the 20 sets they bought (for example), sell one sealed for even multiples of the purchase price, only to learn that buyer found a Harrison Ford in it? These will be instantly cracked, I think. I'm excited for the breaks, and I didn't even get any.

What was a real plus for me about Sugar Free was that the autograph cards were in the same style as the original wrappers, but presented largely new cards of characters who hadn't been featured in the original wrapper series, since most of the signers weren't. I hope they do that for these and use the same vintage starfield graphics for the autographs, thereby expanding the size of subjects in the set to collect.

Last edited by jdandns; 05-08-2017 at 07:53 PM.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Sugar Free was a reprint of a vintage set of gum wrappers.
Where I was coming from is, I still have my vintage cards and that was what I collected as a kid. It's teal nostalgia for me. Same with the Heritage set and the JTTFA set.

I never collected / cared about the wrappers. I didn't even remember what they looked like; in fact I'm not even sure they sold the sugar free packs in the UK.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #148 (permalink)

Just to prepare you guys how they could ship. The Cubs world series sets that came with an autograph were just in a 20 count 2 piece plastic box. No seal or anything, just small piece of foam over the auto card.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #149 (permalink)

Anyone think that they will restock prior to the end of the sale?
slidethefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidethefive View Post
Anyone think that they will restock prior to the end of the sale?
As someone that has bought a few sets, I sure hope not.

But honestly, I don't think they will. With just two days left, I feel it would have already.

It would be amusing if they opened it back up again for the final hour.