Blowout Cards Forums
Trade In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

I think Topps is a fairly disgraceful trading card company, they are milking Star Wars to death, and for the most part their sets seriously lack imagination.

So I went into this thread rolling my eyes at yet ANOTHER Star Wars set, but was pleasantly surprised to see both Alan Tudyk and Temuera Morrison on the signers list. Particularly Morrison: a key prequel signer who has been missing from Topps cards for 15 years since Attack of the Clones was released.

They always churn out the same names for the auto lists in every set, but for some collectors, the sticker autos may as well not exist. More on-card autos from the likes of McDiarmid, Whitaker, Daisy and Felicity is fantastic news (assuming they are all actually on-card this time).

Some landscape autos is a nice and unexpected touch for Topps as well. A simple change but unexpected.

As for the rest, the usual boring parallels and medallions nonsense. And no doubt the ever lingering hope the sketches will be amazing across the board, but no doubt end up being mostly crap.
MisterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterX View Post
I think Topps is a fairly disgraceful trading card company, they are milking Star Wars to death, and for the most part their sets seriously lack imagination.

So I went into this thread rolling my eyes at yet ANOTHER Star Wars set, but was pleasantly surprised to see both Alan Tudyk and Temuera Morrison on the signers list. Particularly Morrison: a key prequel signer who has been missing from Topps cards for 15 years since Attack of the Clones was released.

They always churn out the same names for the auto lists in every set, but for some collectors, the sticker autos may as well not exist. More on-card autos from the likes of McDiarmid, Whitaker, Daisy and Felicity is fantastic news (assuming they are all actually on-card this time).

Some landscape autos is a nice and unexpected touch for Topps as well. A simple change but unexpected.

As for the rest, the usual boring parallels and medallions nonsense. And no doubt the ever lingering hope the sketches will be amazing across the board, but no doubt end up being mostly crap.
Disgraceful? Kinda harsh. I'm sure we all wish that there were fewer releases per year but with the cost of the license I understand the need to pump out product. The issue with repeat signers is going to be a tough thing for Topps to figure out as we go forward- I see no way for them to win going forward with auto checklists unfortunately.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
Disgraceful? Kinda harsh. I'm sure we all wish that there were fewer releases per year but with the cost of the license I understand the need to pump out product. The issue with repeat signers is going to be a tough thing for Topps to figure out as we go forward- I see no way for them to win going forward with auto checklists unfortunately.

Simple, less signers per set. Stop Rose and Quinn for a solid year, at least.

More art sets with sketches, sign new smaller people. Lots of ways around this.

Hell, even just getting all autos on card would add more value than stickers.

Bring back a lot of those who only signed 1-3 sets, don't let someone sign in 6 sets a year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #29 (permalink)

Sounds like you've got it all figured out
Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like you've got it all figured out

There's so many small changes that'd make a huge difference.

They're also running this set type into the ground. With the 2nd set they added wood inserts and removed acetate but nothing different this time than base card colors.

High Tek 3 better be after TLJ.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

What they should do is make it where you can trade in those common autos like tim rose into topps for a inscripted on card of tim rose on a nice design that be more fun to own. I don't know the number, like 15 -20. Then they can take those , mark them somehow so caqnt be traded again, and donate them children hospitals and places where star wars fans cant always get stuff. Gets a lot of autos out of circulation and his autos still can bring enjoyment.

I know probably alot of problems and cant be done. But its an idea, albeit likely impractical.

Last edited by Sharard; 05-09-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Sharard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

It'll never be perfect. I still think that from what they've shown so far of this set, it looks like they've learned from last year's release and fixed some things. I like the addition of Rogue One characters. I also think the landscape autographs look like a nice change of pace. I'm going to be buying a box or two of this no doubt.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargaman View Post
There's so many small changes that'd make a huge difference.

They're also running this set type into the ground. With the 2nd set they added wood inserts and removed acetate but nothing different this time than base card colors.

High Tek 3 better be after TLJ.

Tek 3 will be same day as TLJ 1, in my view. Heavy with Rogue One characters since last time there were only two, and loads of FA.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
jamesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #34 (permalink)

I hope this is a good set again, especially if Topps can fix the sketch issue from MW2. From all indications (more recent sets), it seems that they have a better handle on having nice quality sketches. If there do have to be low end hits, I will say that I like the design of the film cards and would prefer those to yet more medallions.

However, does anyone else think that the cards are kind of... well... ugly? The autographs just don't look good. The weird cloud background and borders don't help. Really bad pic to use for Felicity too.
Darth Smittyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
[*]Alan Tudyk confirmed! Only new signer shown so far
Sarah Michelle Gellar and Temuera Morrison?

This set already looks killer.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smittyous View Post
I hope this is a good set again, especially if Topps can fix the sketch issue from MW2. From all indications (more recent sets), it seems that they have a better handle on having nice quality sketches. If there do have to be low end hits, I will say that I like the design of the film cards and would prefer those to yet more medallions.

However, does anyone else think that the cards are kind of... well... ugly? The autographs just don't look good. The weird cloud background and borders don't help. Really bad pic to use for Felicity too.
Not keen on the landscape Jyn.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Sarah Michelle Gellar and Temuera Morrison?

This set already looks killer.
My bad. So we're at 3, two are bigger names, and Alan fans had been asking for since R1 came out so nice to see him finally.

I wish they'd get Cassian and Baze autos as well. A rogue crew multi auto book would be amazing!

We still need Krennic autos and you'd think they could easily get the Vader double guy to sign as well, but who knows.

I do like the landscape autos for some signers, but I wonder how many will have this style. My OCD would want a 9-card page to have all landscape style which may or may not happen haha
Old 05-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I do like the landscape autos for some signers, but I wonder how many will have this style.
I really like the horizontal layout. Especially with the autos being on-card (that we've seen so far), there's a LOT of real estate for the signer.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #39 (permalink)

The Felicity auto leaves a lot to be desired. Should only increase her Series 1 autos.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #40 (permalink)

Did pre-sale pricing go up on this? Compared to last go around?
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
The Felicity auto leaves a lot to be desired. Should only increase her Series 1 autos.
Yep, I dont think we will ever see a full auto from her again.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #42 (permalink)

I am wondering if there is holo foil on the autograph cards. Some of the pictures kind of look like it. If so, I think the cards will look much better in hand. It is hard to capture the holo foil look in a scan or photo.
Dewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviswr7 View Post
Did pre-sale pricing go up on this? Compared to last go around?
I was thinking it did last night when I looked over the solicitation but honestly cant remember preorder pricing on 2016
Old 05-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I was thinking it did last night when I looked over the solicitation but honestly cant remember preorder pricing on 2016
I swear it was cheaper then $150ish per box /$1200 per case...I could be wrong but that just "felt" high to me..
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
I swear it was cheaper then $150ish per box /$1200 per case...I could be wrong but that just "felt" high to me..
Newp. $1156 were the last 2x set's preorder price, coming from 3 different distributors.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you saying MW3 is $150 or MW2 was?

I believe I paid SolarFly (RIP) ~$160/box last year.

I'm going to wait to see more info/signers before buying any future Topps sets. They're also promising 2 autos per master box, which isn't a good thing usually. I'd be fine with that if they promised 1 sketch also I guess, but I feel it'll be film strips and medallions galore, with animation cels being more limited out of the 3.

I probably shouldn't have chased down a lot of cheap auto signers because it makes each set have less and less new cards for me to hit that aren't big names.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #47 (permalink)

Guaranteed sketch plzkthx.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
insanepjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

There 148.50 a box for me...
kyle1707 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
There 148.50 a box for me...
whelp, I'm out haha.

At least until more signers come out, we get clarification all autos are on card, and maybe see some odds.

Topps Started this year so well with only a few sets, but now they keep adding more in here and there and packing the 2nd half of the year with at least 4 sets (GFR, JTTLD, MW3, TLD S1). I'd still bet on seeing a Tek 3 and some online product before the end of 2017 as well.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
whelp, I'm out haha.

At least until more signers come out, we get clarification all autos are on card, and maybe see some odds.

Topps Started this year so well with only a few sets, but now they keep adding more in here and there and packing the 2nd half of the year with at least 4 sets (GFR, JTTLD, MW3, TLD S1). I'd still bet on seeing a Tek 3 and some online product before the end of 2017 as well.
Out? When were you ever "In"?? lol
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote