Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Will 2008 Rittenhouse RDJ as Ironman Auto be the first MCU to hit $1000

I think I'm going to try and collect a pack pulled auto of each of the Avengers and Guardians. I guess I've been out of the loop with the 2008 Rittenhouse Iron Man set that started it all. All of the Robert Downey Jr. autos listed on ebay are for crazy money. I know the last one sold for $750. How long do you think it will be before this is the first $1000 MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) auto?
Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Evans memorabilia card sells for over $1k and his regular auto sold for over $1K initially, but has dropped. Believe Saldana's GOTG auto was over 1k also initially, but has dropped.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's a good idea man! That'd be cool!

Anyone see or know of any recent sales of the Saldana GOTG Auto? Other than Bryansj14 selling his set recently.
ChrisST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Man, I regret selling my RDJ (as Iron Man) auto a few years ago. I thought $475 was such a big sale considering the print run was at least 200+. Should've just kept it. It was one of his nicer full signatures too! Ugh

Last edited by cardbooker; 05-20-2017 at 11:52 AM.
cardbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottagitdemjs View Post
I think I'm going to try and collect a pack pulled auto of each of the Avengers and Guardians. I guess I've been out of the loop with the 2008 Rittenhouse Iron Man set that started it all. All of the Robert Downey Jr. autos listed on ebay are for crazy money. I know the last one sold for $750. How long do you think it will be before this is the first $1000 MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) auto?
I sold mine for 1100 in December and I still regret it.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm not much of an autograph collector, but I was very excited to pull a Jackman autograph out of a loose Wolverine box. Not quite as valuable as the others mentioned here, but I only see its value increasing over time. I've received many unsolicited offers over the year but have no interest in selling it. He has been such a significant part of that franchise, it's one of the few autographs I'm pleased to have for my collection. RDJ, Hemsworth, Pratt, and Evans would be great additions but I haven't been lucky enough to pull any of those yet.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

No one really knew that "Iron Man" would end up being the birth of the MCU. That only happened when the movie did so incredibly well at the box office, and that was only because it was better made than any longtime comic fan could've dreamed of. Just to help underscore how out of the blue the success of it was, I can tell you it was very, very easy to get into the Hall H panel for it at Comic-Con, even though it'd been announced in advanced Downey would be there. Favreau hilariously trolled the audience with some "exclusive advance footage" and when he ran it, it was from that crudely "animated" 1966 cartoon series. He then showed the real stuff, and man, the crowd was buzzing, but even so, no one really saw the success of Iron Man coming.

I got my pre-order case of the Rittenhouse cards because I was already a big fan of Downey and Bridges and was hoping for an autograph of either. A couple of boxes in, and I hit this, which I still have and have never considered selling:

(sorry for the crappy scan. It was made using a flatbed scanner that was already ancient in 2008).

A few months later, I got another case (at discount!) figuring I'd get the Bridges (or at least another Downey, and I could then trade that one for the Bridges, haha).

Nope.

Good luck on your quest, OP!
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm looking for a downey if anyone is interested in selling =)
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Bought one for $225 at auction and sold it for about $300 kicking myself now.

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is offline   Reply With Quote