Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Magic the Gathering

Anyone on here play? I do not play but I was talking to my lcs about "investing" into something and he mentioned how magic cards are a good investment...just buying boxes and keeping them sealed. They were telling me if I were to hold onto them for 3-5 yrs I would make money off the sealed boxes.

Anyone have any insight into this? I'm talking purely investment...reselling the boxes to an lcs or "ebay" kind of thing. I do not play the game nor do I understand it...they gave me an example of a recent box...WorldWake with Jace the Mind Sculptor...MTG decided to end that set early and it made the whole box almost double in price and they don't see it going down any sooner because that "set" is a good one to have with Jace and other cards you can get. I only know Jace because that's what they told me about.

Any ideas/thoughts?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I used to play in my early teens, and I say if you want a LONG Term investment, this wouldn't be a bad idea. However, 3-5 years could easily become 5-10 years, and the capital might be better off elsewhere...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I played from alpha/beta through Mercadian Masques -- that was actually the last pre-release tourney I was in. I was very lucky to earn a college scholarship through the "Junior World Open" in 1998.

I often times miss the game concept, but no longer have the time. That, and so much has changed since the familar days of my friends the Power 9, or Dwarfish Demo Team -- or what have you. My favorite expansion overall was Alliances. Age had a fantastic story as a main set -- and the best overall story done in an "exapansion" is hands-down done through Arabian Nights. That said, I loved the idea of the "aftermath" of the ice age and what they were trying to do.

All that said, much better things to invest in long term; however -- and, there's always the slim chance this can go the way of the Pokemon, Chron X, Wyvern, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., etc. If you REALLY just wanted to have some exposure, buy a sealed Beta starter deck (just one, they are expensive) or Booster Pack, and just hold it. There are very, very, very few left out there.

ES
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaslo View Post
I played from alpha/beta through Mercadian Masques -- that was actually the last pre-release tourney I was in. I was very lucky to earn a college scholarship through the "Junior World Open" in 1998.

I often times miss the game concept, but no longer have the time. That, and so much has changed since the familar days of my friends the Power 9, or Dwarfish Demo Team -- or what have you. My favorite expansion overall was Alliances. Age had a fantastic story as a main set -- and the best overall story done in an "exapansion" is hands-down done through Arabian Nights. That said, I loved the idea of the "aftermath" of the ice age and what they were trying to do.

All that said, much better things to invest in long term; however -- and, there's always the slim chance this can go the way of the Pokemon, Chron X, Wyvern, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc., etc. If you REALLY just wanted to have some exposure, buy a sealed Beta starter deck (just one, they are expensive) or Booster Pack, and just hold it. There are very, very, very few left out there.

ES

A) I have no idea what the heck you just said LOL
B) $500+ for a booster pack? WOW!

I'm talking about just buying 1 box for every set that comes out, including boosters...you can get a box pre-release for about $90...come out to $270/year.
I don't need the $270...I figure it's another option...I already do stocks, 401K, silver/gold...sports cards (more for my pc now)...so I figure it's another venue. Plus if my kids ever decide to play then I would have a ton of cards for them!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
A) I have no idea what the heck you just said LOL
B) $500+ for a booster pack? WOW!

I'm talking about just buying 1 box for every set that comes out, including boosters...you can get a box pre-release for about $90...come out to $270/year.
I don't need the $270...I figure it's another option...I already do stocks, 401K, silver/gold...sports cards (more for my pc now)...so I figure it's another venue. Plus if my kids ever decide to play then I would have a ton of cards for them!
I would have to be swayed, big time. I think it's a bad idea. You have nothing to lose if you decide to let your kids play with them though. From my understanding though, they "outlaw" cards from tournament play - and when they do this, it loses value. It's almost like getting shunned. Eh, I don't play though - so what the hell do I honestly know on this subject.

For me though:
I like what what esalo said. I know they are already expensive, but if I could get my hands on some sealed Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited packs or boxes - that's like the holly grail right there.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)

Last edited by Zerokruel; 02-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Miracle View Post
I used to play in my early teens, and I say if you want a LONG Term investment, this wouldn't be a bad idea. However, 3-5 years could easily become 5-10 years, and the capital might be better off elsewhere...
I don't mind waiting 5-10 yrs...I mean I not expecting 1000% return but a 200-300% wouldn't be bad for a tiny investment option!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
For me though:
I like what what esalo said. I know they are already expensive, but if I could get my hands on some sealed Alpha, Beta, or Unlimited packs or boxes - that's like the holly grail right there.
Exactly. Beta is actually doing the best, and is the rarest -- still a lot of both Alpha and Unlimited held out there, as the actual production runs were larger than most people thing.

That said, buying the new sets/boxes, etc., won't be worth the investment you're thinking. Buying a $500.00 booster pack or a $1250.00 starter (my recommendation is the starter), is much better in the short to mid term. They go up every year. Your individual boxes won't go up at all for years, and many (i.e., fallen empires, etc.) will actually go down until they're "vintage"

All that said, just something cool to own.

ES
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I would have to be swayed, big time. I think it's a bad idea. You have nothing to lose if you decide to let your kids play with them though. From my understanding though, they "outlaw" cards from tournament play - and when they do this, it loses value. It's almost like getting shunned. Eh, I don't play though - so what the hell do I honestly know on this subject.

For me though:
From my understanding they have all different kinds of tournaments...ones where you can use any card from all previous sets, etc...

Also how do you know one of these alpha or beta packs have not been resealed?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Jace was freaking crazy. He peeked at around $80-100. That card is just way insanely powerful and tournament players needed 4 for each deck, sometimes having multiple decks running him. He was the first planeswalker and the only planeswalker during that time to have 4 abilities. Nothing will ever come close to the hype Jace was getting. I actually pulled 3 Jace cards myself all 3 from fat packs from Wal-mart. One was even foil. Sold those puppies during it's peak knowing I wasn't going to be around that game for very long.

I played and collected last year but gave it up the same time I joined these forums and picked up collecting football cards again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaslo View Post
That said, buying the new sets/boxes, etc., won't be worth the investment you're thinking.
Sadly, this is the truth.

Last edited by ManInTheMirror; 02-10-2011 at 01:50 AM.
ManInTheMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
From my understanding they have all different kinds of tournaments...ones where you can use any card from all previous sets, etc...

Also how do you know one of these alpha or beta packs have not been resealed?
I can't answer about the resealing. I think you would have to buy from a trusted seller to be honest. Like most anything we deal with in this hobby of ours.

I'm not sure about the tournament thing. I was almost positive that some cars have been banned. Then again, maybe there are some tournaments where anything goes. But I thought they made limits.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi all, current Magic player and dealer here. My own opinion is investing in boxes is a bad idea. There are 4 tournament formats. Standard, Extended, Legacy, and Vintage. Standard is strictly new sets. Extended is new sets plus 2 years, I think. Legacy and Vintage are the "Eternal" formats. Legacy has a banned list and Vintage has a banned and restricted list. Players don't buy old boxes. They buy the single cards that they need for their decks. The game is getting more expensive to play, and players won't buy boxes just to pray they get what they need. If you want to invest in Magic. Buy boxes of the new sets as soon as they come out, crack the packs, and get them on the bay as soon as possible. Mythics or rares as singles, uncommons and commons as playsets(4 copies). Prices will slowly drop as it's determined what is good for tournament play and what isn't. Keeping track of rotation is also important. Prices will really drop when sets rotate out of Standard unless the cards are being played in Extended or Legacy. Legacy is the true indicator of value. If a card like Jace is seeing play in Legacy It will drop in value when it rotates out of Standard, but the drop won't be as severe. This post was kind of long so if you have any questions please pm me or post a reply.
oakland76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

So then why are Alpha and Beta packs so in demand? If they have been "expired" for play then wouldn't they be worthless since you can't play any cards from those two sets?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

You can play cards from those sets in Legacy and Vintage, but in The US you can play with proxies in Vintage, so the real cards are not necessary. People will buy Alpha and Beta packs, but the packs can be searched due to being pretty much see through. Alpha boxes were not sealed and allegedly only the last 10% of the Beta print run were sealed. Hence the risk with buying those packs. I've looked at several online dealers and right now they don't have any sealed Beta booster boxes. As for the starter decks. If I bought any, they would definitely stay sealed. Cracking them could result in a severe loss if you wind up with 2 crap rares.
oakland76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
So then why are Alpha and Beta packs so in demand? If they have been "expired" for play then wouldn't they be worthless since you can't play any cards from those two sets?
Guys play with their friends with no rules and you can use any cards. Those cards from Alpha/Beta are the diamonds and if you have them you are on a completely different pedestal. Having an Alpha Black Lotus (or any of the Power9) is like having a Honus Wagner.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

I wish I had my MTG collection. Sold it 5 years ago and got 12k and got my wife a engagement ring and some other stuff. I had 130 dual lands, Power 9, Mishra's Factory, etc. If I would have broke it up, easily 45K.
My-Coolectibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Guys play with their friends with no rules and you can use any cards. Those cards from Alpha/Beta are the diamonds and if you have them you are on a completely different pedestal. Having an Alpha Black Lotus (or any of the Power9) is like having a Honus Wagner.
Understandable that friends want to challenge each other...but isn't it about the tournament play...getting points, etc. Are Alpha and Beta cards still playable in tournament play? IF those two sets are allowed...why wouldn't the other sets be allowed to?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

John, this should make for a good read:

Banned / Restricted Lists for DCI-Sanctioned Magic: The Gathering Tournaments : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Thanks for the link...it looks like the Black Lotus is banned. So why would anyone want to own a banned card that they can not play...isn't that the whole point of MTG? Why would owning the POWER9 be good if they can't play it...just to look at, nostalgic? I can see why vintage sports cards are valuable...but vintage magic cards you can't even pay with anymore? Doesn't make sense to me...lol, maybe investing in these vintage cards isn't a good thing!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the link...it looks like the Black Lotus is banned. So why would anyone want to own a banned card that they can not play...isn't that the whole point of MTG? Why would owning the POWER9 be good if they can't play it...just to look at, nostalgic? I can see why vintage sports cards are valuable...but vintage magic cards you can't even pay with anymore? Doesn't make sense to me...lol, maybe investing in these vintage cards isn't a good thing!
95% of the people who play just play with their friends. When your just playing the game for fun, having cards like these helps accomplish two goals...

1. Impress Your Friends
2. Beat Your Friends
Old 02-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
They are in demand because those packs are so rare. The game was brand new, so the print run wasn't that large until they saw the game take off. Alpha was the first print run of the first set, beta the second print run, unlimited was the third print run. On the newest sets, I am sure the print run is at least 100 times larger (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 1000 times larger). Also the game was so popular and there were so few packs available at the time, that most got opened. So sealed packs are hard to find.

Also, the most powerful and most expensive cards from those sets can still be used in the vintage format. Pretty much to be competitive in that format, you have to have a black lotus and set of moxes. And those cards were only found in Alpha, Beta, and unlimited.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Miracle View Post
95% of the people who play just play with their friends. When your just playing the game for fun, having cards like these helps accomplish two goals...

1. Impress Your Friends
2. Beat Your Friends
This is all correct except for the fact that I may go so far as to say 96 or 97% of the people just play with their friends. Yes alot of people play in tournaments but for the most part guys just play to play. Having a Black Lotus makes you a god in their world. I don't know how else to put this for you to understand...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #22 (permalink)

I only feel like the alpha and beta stuff could be a investment and imo unless Magic gets more popular I don't see how they can go higher.

Now unopened boxes of the first pokemon set on the other hand can go up big time in 20-25 years when people like me who grew up with it have gone to college and have the money to blow on this kind of stuff because its from our childhood.
soonerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

Magic simply cannot and will not get more popular. It is all downhill from here and they will be out of business within 5 years. 10 years for sure, mark my words.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Magic simply cannot and will not get more popular. It is all downhill from here and they will be out of business within 5 years. 10 years for sure, mark my words.
I hope that's not the case...everything I've read about them shows they have a great business model...

Even the smallest lcs near me has magic tourney's...and more than 1/2 their business consists of magic sales!
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
No they will keep getting a new generation of players, weather the cards go away and it goes all digital is another thing.
soonerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote