Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #26 (permalink)

ANywhere to see how many are left..I can't order a set until a week from today

Hope theres still 1 left
WhacksPacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhacksPacks View Post
ANywhere to see how many are left..I can't order a set until a week from today

Hope theres still 1 left
I had a link that used to show amount left. For some reason, just today, I notice it no longer shows this. I will give a guarded guess that you should be safe if you order in a week.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

fellow Blowout Cards member Bum Dawg pulled the holy grail of sketches from this series, Major Winters himself.

Last edited by Nicnac; 08-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Nice!

Just ordered mine...wish me luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Nice!

Just ordered mine...wish me luck!
Good luck. Can't wait to see what sketch you pull.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #31 (permalink)

iCardz has started a facebook page for this product. If you have an account, please check it out.

My WW2 Blog

My Bucket

-

Last edited by Nicnac; 04-29-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #32 (permalink)

I believe they have around 80 sets left, based on their eBay listing, and what I've heard on direct sales.

ES
Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #33 (permalink)

How long does it usually take to deliver to the states...I know its only been a few days..but I sho' am getting antsy to get mine in

Though, my sketch will probably be of Hanz Veenerschlitz , the Luftwaffe Hot Dog Supply quartermaster, I am more interested in the art and history on the cards themselves...and of course, having the autographs of a special select few of a generation that is leaving us VERY quickly...and way too soon.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
How long does it usually take to deliver to the states...I know its only been a few days..but I sho' am getting antsy to get mine in

Though, my sketch will probably be of Hanz Veenerschlitz , the Luftwaffe Hot Dog Supply quartermaster, I am more interested in the art and history on the cards themselves...and of course, having the autographs of a special select few of a generation that is leaving us VERY quickly...and way too soon.
Ahhhh I would kill for a sketch of Hanz Veenerschlitz. They say if it wasn't for his hot-dogs, the war would have ended 6 months earlier.

My set took over a week to get to South Florida. I'd say 10 days tops not knowing exactly when they shipped it.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

Just opened up the PKG! Arrived today.... #11/100
Sketch is Walter Gorden whom if I'm not mistaken, was an NCO featured in Band of Brotheers and was shot in the back in one of the episodes? I think....so though not a 'Big' name its still cool to get one of the guys featured in the series..the autos are beautiful and the cards are as well..it will take quite some time to go through and read each one..but I will!

All that being said...I am VERY dissapointed in how it was packaged and shipped...the COA was ripped from the binder rings in the top 2 holes (will they replace that?) And a good many cards were falling out the top of the binder.....for 500.00 I expect a little more protection than a sheet of bubble wrap in a cardboard box....my main concernm againm being the COA being ripped in the top 2 holes

Still beautiful set and glad I got in while I could!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #36 (permalink)

And it also appears Hardy misspelled Gordon's name on the card....that makes it a 1/1 of a 1/1 uber super rare....amIrite?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #37 (permalink)

Nice to find stories of these guys. You are right about the spelling and what happened to him:
Walter Gordon

in the series, he was played by Ben Caplan

Regarding the damaged COA, my set did come with some cards slipped a bit out of the pages but no damage otherwise. iCardz might be slow replying to your email but they will come through for you. PM sent with contact info.

-

Last edited by Nicnac; 05-06-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #38 (permalink)

More on Gordon:

Oil man fought with real Band of Brothers

The Advertiser | Lafayette news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Lafayette, LA | theadvertiser.com
Jim Bradshaw / Staff Writer
Posted on September 9, 2001

LAFAYETTE - On Christmas Eve 1944, Cpl. Walter S. "Smokey" Gordon Jr., was one of a ragged band of frozen, half-starved, ill-supplied and too-proud-to-quit GIs rushed in a blinding snowstorm to defend the Belgian crossroads town of Bastogne. Elite German units had overrun American positions in a last-gasp attempt to keep the Allies from crossing into the Fatherland, and Allied commanders were using everything and everyone they could to stop the enemy advance.

Gordon was a machine gunner for E Company, 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne, a company called at the time by some military experts as the best infantry unit on either side to fight in World War II.

They were the Band of Brothers that will be immortalized in the HBO series beginning tonight. After the war, Gordon came to Lafayette and worked as an independent oil and gas lease broker.

When the call to rescue Bastogne came, he and the rest of Easy Company were recuperating in France from months on the line in Holland. They grumbled, but they went once again into battle. Characteristic of the Easy Company spirit was the remark made by a medic as they began to set up a defense.

"What's the situation?" he was asked.

"Haven't you heard?" the medic replied. "(The Germans have) got us surrounded, the poor bastards."

It was bitter cold that Christmas Eve morning of 1944. Snow covered the ground. He sat on the edge of his foxhole behind his light machine gun. In an attempt to keep warm, he'd wrapped his head in a towel and set his helmet atop the towel.

He kept coffee grounds in his hand grenade canister and, as he recounted later, "I'd melted the snow with my little gas stove, and I'd brewed a lovely cup of coffee." As he started to sip, word came that a German force was attempting to get through the lines defended by Easy Company.

When his squad leader, Sgt. Buck Taylor, told him to "get on that machine gun," Gordon began to brush snow from his weapon and ammo box and prepare to go into action. Just as he did, a shot from a German rifleman hit Gordon in the left shoulder, passed through his body and exited from the right shoulder. It brushed his spinal column, paralyzing him from the neck down.

The war ended that day for him, but he had seen plenty of it.

The Jackson, Miss., native enlisted in summer 1942 and volunteered for the paratroopers. His elite unit was one of the first to go into action on D-Day, June 6, 1944, when it parachuted behind enemy lines and landed at Sainte-Mre-Eglise, the first town in France to be liberated after the German occupation. Gordon was wounded in the leg and shoulder June 13, but returned to Easy Company eight weeks later, just in time to jump into Holland.

Gordon described his experience in Holland in an interview with Stephen E. Ambrose, historian and author of the book upon which the Band of Brothers miniseries is based.

"We occupied various defense positions for over two months. Like animals, we lived in holes, barns, and as best we could. The weather was cold and wet. In spite of the adverse conditions, we held the ground we had fought so hard to capture," Gordon said.

His wound at Bastogne was more serious than the one he'd received in Holland, but after six weeks of hospitalization in England he began to again have feeling in his legs. By the spring of 1945 he was able to shuffle about on his feet and was shipped back to the States, where he recuperated in Lawson General Hospital in Alabama.

After the war, he acquired a law degree, but never practiced, going into the oil lease business instead. In 1951, he married Elizabeth Ball Ludeau of Ville Platte and they had five children. He died April 19, 1997.

This is from one of the Gordon daughters...

"As for Dad's injuries, he was shot in the left shoulder, and the bullet traveled across his body and came out his right shoulder. Apparently it nicked his spinal column which left him paralyzed from the neck down. After weeks of being in the hospital he started to get feelings in his lower body, and after many months of slow recovery, he eventually came back around but never the way he was before.

For the rest of his life, Dad constantly suffered with back and shoulder pain. As a matter of fact, when Ford came out with the Continental car line, he was the first one in line to lease one because that was the first car to have the multi adjustable driver seat. Dad had to travel extensively in his line of work (oil lease broker), and spent hours on the road driving, so any relief of the pain was worth the money to him.

The worst part about that near fatal injury was the fact that we never could give Dad a big hug around his neck, because we all knew the pain he would have felt, and whenever someone (unaware, of course, of his injury) would greet him and give him a hug around his neck or shoulders, you could see in his face the pain he felt, yet he would never say a word about it. Anyway, that's the long and short of it."

Walter Gordon and Francis Mellett on D-Day. Both men earned the rank of corporal. Photo by Forrest Guth

Following is a letter Walter Gordon wrote, in 1991, to the Mayor of Eindhoven who refused to meet with General H. Norman Schwartzkopf, claiming the general had "too much blood on his hands":

"On September 17, 1944, I participated in the large airborne operation which was conducted to liberate your country. As a member of Company E, 506th PIR, I landed near the small town of Son.

The following day, we moved south and liberated Eindhoven. While carrying out our assignment, we suffered casualties. That is war talk for bleeding. We occupied various defense positions for over two months. Like animals, we lived in holes, barns, and as best we could. The weather was cold and wet. In spite of the adverse conditions, we held the ground we had fought so hard to capture.

"The citizens of Holland at that time did not share your aversion to bloodshed, when the blood being shed was that of the German occupiers of your city. How soon we forget. History has proven more than once that Holland could be conquered if your neighbor, the Germans, are having a dull weekend and the golf links are crowded.

"Please don't allow your country to be swallowed up by Liechtenstein or the Vatican, as I don't plan to return. As of now, you are on your own".
Old 05-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

AWESOME! I love that letter. Proves what people who meet guys like Bill Guarnere say, that these men are still big imposing guys you wouldn't wanna mess with.

Such fire from a 71 year old.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

WhacksPacks:

We'd like to apologize for the damage to your COA. We are actively reviewing our shipping and packaging methods to avoid any future issues.

With regards to your COA, if you would kindly mail the damaged COA back to us, we will be more than happy to replace it for you. Our mailing address is

152 Kent Street
Charlottetown, PEI C0A 1H0
Canada

On a side note: this is a really great forum! Your enthusiasm and reverence for these real heroes is evident from the discussions. And finally, thank you for all your support.

iCardz
iCardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #41 (permalink)

Just saw the response...thanks for taking the time to sign up and respond.. I will be mailing the COA back to you for the replacement.. thanks again!

Hope you guys can get the Pacific set out in the near future!
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Hope you guys can get the Pacific set out in the near future!
Hah, you tell em!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #43 (permalink)

I liked the look of this set so I picked one up. Got it today 14/100. I really do like it. My dad served in WWII so it made it a little more meaningful for me. My sketch card was Frank Perconte. I believe he was the one that got shot in the ass. I buy and sell cards all the time, but this will be one set I will hang on to.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashdog5 View Post
I liked the look of this set so I picked one up. Got it today 14/100. I really do like it. My dad served in WWII so it made it a little more meaningful for me. My sketch card was Frank Perconte. I believe he was the one that got shot in the ass. I buy and sell cards all the time, but this will be one set I will hang on to.
Heh! He was indeed 'shot in the buttock' according to Wikipedia.

His autos come up often on feebay and seem to be quite affordable.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #45 (permalink)

Yeah, I picked one up on e-bay today. Had his signature, plus he added Band of Brothers on it. Since I got his sketch card, figured I might as well get his auto to go with it.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #46 (permalink)

I would consider pulling the trigger on this, if I wasnt two autographs away from the complete set already...
rudzud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudzud View Post
I would consider pulling the trigger on this, if I wasnt two autographs away from the complete set already...
I have all 7 in my trade bucket. What do you have for trade?

My Trades
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 AM   #49 (permalink)

A user on another forum said this:
Quote:
I received my set a month or so back and pulled a sketch of Private Joseph Lesniewski. I was wondering if Nicnac had any information on him? Thanks!
Aside from a short article on Wikipedia, which has the photo that your sketch is based on, I found this picture which contains a treasure trove of BoB vets:

(Sitting L-R): William Guarnere; Edward "Babe" Heffron; Lynn "Buck" Compton; William C. Maynard; Philip P. Perugini (holding the bucket?); Salvatore Frank Bellino; and Donald G. Malarkey.

(Standing, L-R): Antonio Garcia; Joseph A. Lesniewski ; Roderick G. Bain; John W. Martin; Frank J. Soboleski; Herbert J. Suerth; Paul C. Rogers; and Lester A. Hashey.

(Standing at the top): Forrest L. Guth and Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

This is pretty cool, an interview with him for World War II magazine:

http://www.menofeasycompany.co...index.php?page_id=40

Last edited by Nicnac; 08-28-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #50 (permalink)

I ordered the collection and got a few questions.

The Sketch card was missing but they were nice enough to send one out and let me pick which one I wanted (I picked Edward "Babe" Heffron, he was in 7-8 of the HBO Band of Brothers episodes.) Will post sketch once I receive.

The cards themselves are a little disappointing, I was expecting higher quality cards for $450 w/ shipping. I got the 18/100
The autographs are nice but again the cards are a little scuffed on the edges, is this normal?
Also I did not win the instant win cards, has anyone actually won anything or is this a scam of some kind?
Basically I hope the sketch makes up for the shortcomings and I might be willing to sell some of the auto's if anyone is interested.

hope these go up in value

Last edited by aks129; 07-31-2011 at 10:12 PM.
aks129 is offline   Reply With Quote