Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Should I buy MM3 or wait?

Marvel Masterpieces 3 will be coming out very soon. Series one was good and the unopened boxes keep pulling in $80-$100 on average. MM2 tanked and boxes are around $40. The question is should I buy my boxes of MM3 now or wait to see if they drop in price or not. I personally think that this last release will be better than 2 but I am not sure if it will be better than 1.
ifish73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is all my opinion. I think MM3 will come down after the initial hype. However I believe that MM2 will start to rise. The product got so cheap that it bottomed out and people have just ripped so much I believe the product started dry up.
I don't think any of them will ever be better than MM1. It just seems be regarded higher by collectors.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

I know I opened all of the boxes of MM1 that I got. I should have kept one unopened. I kept one unopened MM2 and will do the same for MM3. The parallels in MM1 are what I think keeps it strong. The gold set is undervalued. I probably spent at least the book value on that set just to finish it. $5-$6 a card on ebay when I was buying them and the book on the entire set is only like $300 or so, I can't remember. The retail release on MM2 killed it but the `C' of Hulk and Iron Man don't turn up very often and are worth a pretty penny. I don't know if there are Walmart packs out there that were never opened or they just didn't make very much but I haven't seen more than a dozen of each for sale in the last two months. I have personally never seen the Walmart packs/boxes in the three Walmart's near my house.

Has there been any early checklist of the autograph cards that will be in MM3?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

MM3 is a bit of a mystery and a lot of people are taking a "wait-and-see" approach, myself included. I've been weighing the pros and cons and still can't decide.

Cons:

1-The economy sucks right now and the lowest case price I've found so far is around $750.

2-The exchange rate is bad for me (I'm in Canada) making it even worse.

3-People who bought MM2 early might be feeling a bit burned as cases have dropped significantly, they are selling around $450 now and I've seen a couple end under $400

4- Typical lack of detailed info from UD, no artist list yet, no signers list yet or odds on the signers, no production numbers.

Pros:

1- I've seen a lot of very good sketches being posted by some artists, although the caveat is that only the artists doing decent work might be the ones willing to show off their work.

2- It's possible MM3 might be more limited and possibly loaded as UD almost certainly had to print to order as they officially lose the license for Marvel cards on Dec. 31 (Rittenhouse Archives will then get the exclusive license) and UD will have to destroy any remaining Marvel stock (UD may pull a Skybox* and backdoor remaing sketches and some quality sketches may appear out of nowhere at a later date). I guess that could add a potential "con" since anyone who gets a damaged card or a dud box will not be able to get a replacement.

*When Skybox lost the Star Trek license remaining stock was supposed to be destroyed but a glut of autographs (including unsigned autograph cards) and inserts hit the market in a short time temporarily flooding the market, although they have dried up long ago. In contrast when Inkworks lost the James Bond license nothing surfaced and some of the autos are extremely hard to find, especially if the autos were only available from redemption cards.

Last edited by Incarnadine; 12-08-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Marvel Masterpieces 3 is now out and I still can't find any good information. Upper Deck's phones have been down for two days so I can't ask them. Does anyone have any information about the production run, writer autograph list, and if they will release retail?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Marvel Masterpieces 3 is now out and I still can't find any good information. Upper Deck's phones have been down for two days so I can't ask them. Does anyone have any information about the production run, writer autograph list, and if they will release retail?
Boxes are not numbered. Writer autograph falls 4 per case, at least for mine. I don't have the autograph list though. And I don't think there's any retail release.

I'll post my break when I got home around 10:30 pacific time.

One more thing, all sketches I got has autograph, not like MM2

Last edited by JellyMolly; 12-16-2008 at 05:11 PM.
JellyMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

didn't look too good from the break at my shop. i'd probably hold back.
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think I will just buy 2 boxes. One to open and one to keep unopened. That way my son can open one while on Christmas break.