Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Default Has anyone ever heard of 1994 Marvel Masterpieces RED holo-foils?

Just saw an auction end for a 1994 Marvel Masterpieces red holo-foil. It went for way more than the bronze go for. According to the auction these are the most rare. This is the first one I have ever seen but I have not specifically searched for red holo-foils just the bronze which I thought were the hardest to get. Does anyone have any information on these. I have done Internet searches without any luck.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

1994 Marvel Masterpieces

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

What kind of prices are these going for?!?!?! I have like 10-15 of the red foil ones, and a couple that are solid red foil that I had when i was a kid, if they are actually worth something decent I might have to go spend a day and dig them out!
yourmyboyblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourmyboyblue2 View Post
What kind of prices are these going for?!?!?! I have like 10-15 of the red foil ones, and a couple that are solid red foil that I had when i was a kid, if they are actually worth something decent I might have to go spend a day and dig them out!
MARVEL MASTERPIECES 1994 - Holofoil RED War Machine | eBay
Old 06-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

wow ok, to the boxes i go, ive got that one :P
yourmyboyblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
I saw this reference but I don't know if they came from Wal-Mart or not. I have seen many Bronze and that War Machine was the first red.

Quote:
Do you remember where they came from? After you find them maybe I can get one from you.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you ever get the chance to look for these?
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Those red holofoil variants are almost certainly "homemade". If you look at the silver, gold, and bronze holofoils not the entire card is all silver, gold, or bronze - part of the card is without the holofoil, which indicates these red holofoils were not produced by Fleer. I wouldn't even consider these manufacture errors either because you wouldn't have the entire card with a holofoil finish. That "British collector" who supposedly obtained one or more of these is certainly the same guy who made them in his basement.
marvelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelmaster View Post
Those red holofoil variants are almost certainly "homemade". If you look at the silver, gold, and bronze holofoils not the entire card is all silver, gold, or bronze - part of the card is without the holofoil, which indicates these red holofoils were not produced by Fleer. I wouldn't even consider these manufacture errors either because you wouldn't have the entire card with a holofoil finish. That "British collector" who supposedly obtained one or more of these is certainly the same guy who made them in his basement.
When in doubt, always go to Allender's

Marvel Master 1994
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Or you could ask me, as I have provided much info to Jeff over the years regarding the MM series and MM related stuff.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Or you could ask me, as I have provided much info to Jeff over the years regarding the MM series and MM related stuff.
Did you ever get to see these in person? I remember when we talked before you had thought that it was some sort of UV issue that turned them red.

How about that white border Carnage that just sold. Did some make it out before they applied the foil or is this another home made card?

Not interested in either version since they are either printing errors or fakes. Makes it easier on my wallet!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

being that it's red, you could probably take one of the others, silver, gold, etc and color it red with a good quality marker and it would look the same. alcohol marker would apply smoothly and look authentic. they they probably finished it with a coating spray and called it a red holofoil.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
But you didn't link to it. He has a nice, short writeup at the top, and in the red foil section that addresses all the concerns the OP has.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Red Holofoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifish73 View Post
Did you ever get to see these in person? I remember when we talked before you had thought that it was some sort of UV issue that turned them red.

How about that white border Carnage that just sold. Did some make it out before they applied the foil or is this another home made card?

Not interested in either version since they are either printing errors or fakes. Makes it easier on my wallet!
Nice to see you around here.

I never did get to see the red holofoil in person. However, I do possess a silver holofoil card from MM 1994 showing the foil incorrectly applied (there were uneven streaks of foil printing). I also do have two MM 1993 cards of the X-Men 2099 subset where no foil (etching) was applied at all. Furthermore, there is no bleeding of colors on the card or signs of the foil having been there and then removed - that is, there is no residual foil stamping at all, which to me would indicate someone tried to take it off. Having a red holofoil with a completely even finish does not seem like it would be produced by the factory.

I can understand if the foil is applied unevenly or not at all, or even if the card is of War Machine but has the foil printing of the name "Daredevil" on it(however in the same color as the proper Daredevil card), but to have the entire card with a foil coloring not even used in the manufacture of the cards does not seem like factory made to me. I have several kinds of such cards, but to see a card that uses a completely different foil or etching color and all in one even color too, seems like homemade to me. It would not be difficult to pull this off. So, if I were to see a red holofoil where traditionally the foil should appear, and not on the character too, I would be more inclined to think of it as genuine.

The white border Carnage that sold on ebay is interesting and I would include that as an error card, simply because I know there are cards out there where the foil was not applied. It was my first time seeing a foil-less MM 1994 holofoil, but it has been known to happen in other MM sets. Unfortunately, I do not have the card and I am interested in what the person who bought it can assess from it by seeing it in person. The quality of the card stock should still be the same though, even without the foil. I just hope I don't see a "red holofoil Carnage" out of it!

That's my take on it.