Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

View Poll Results: What would you pay for that cut?
$0-499 15 15.96%
$500-999 14 14.89%
$1000-1499 12 12.77%
$1500-1999 9 9.57%
$2000-2499 13 13.83%
$2500-2999 5 5.32%
$3000-3499 4 4.26%
$3500-3999 2 2.13%
$4000 and more 20 21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 06:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What would you pay for that cut?

Thanks everyone for voting and letting me know what you think about it! I, for my part, got a general direction and that is all I wanted to have.
So again, thanks everyone!

Last edited by baskettrader; 10-23-2011 at 02:00 PM.
baskettrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

im interested in it at the right price
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you want to know how much we would pay for it or how much we think it's worth? Two different thoughts.....
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
Do you want to know how much we would pay for it or how much we think it's worth? Two different thoughts.....
He is specifically asking how much you would pay as he would like to get a somewhat realistic idea of it's worth...as we all know, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would recommend ebay instead of an auction house. Auction houses (in my opinion)are suited best for signed documents and photos and personal items, my friends who deal in that area think cut autos on trading cards are terribly ugly and a waste of a good whatever was cut up to put in the card. They are kind of snooty though, but they've convinced me to buy some real nice non trading card things.
coltsnsox07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

so beautiful.....words are failing me its so sweet. As a huge Beatles fan, I would say...ALOT. In a non recession world, I'd say well over 5K. But you can never tell these days. Certified autos of John and George are very very rare. I've seen single certified autos of George alone sell for over 4k.
CollectorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

First of all, thanks for your votes and your impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
He is specifically asking how much you would pay as he would like to get a somewhat realistic idea of it's worth...as we all know, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Absolutly right. Only if people tell me what they would actually pay for that cut, I can get an idea of what it is/could be worth.
With the outcomes of the poll you can calculate an average value of the card and you know what people would (maybe) pay at a max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
....Auction houses (in my opinion)are suited best for signed documents and photos and personal items, my friends who deal in that area think cut autos on trading cards are terribly ugly and a waste of a good whatever was cut up to put in the card....
This is nearly exactly what they told me (but they do not say it that honestly ), so I thought it would be a good idea to hold a poll in a cards forum to get another point of view for the value of the whole, actual card, which it in fact is, and not just for the autographs.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsnsox07 View Post
I would recommend ebay instead of an auction house. Auction houses (in my opinion)are suited best for signed documents and photos and personal items, my friends who deal in that area think cut autos on trading cards are terribly ugly and a waste of a good whatever was cut up to put in the card. They are kind of snooty though, but they've convinced me to buy some real nice non trading card things.
I fall into this category. I don't think certain items should be destroyed for the signatures to be trimmed into trading cards. Taking a signed 8x10 of a sports player is a lot different to me than taking a letter or, in this case, possibly a piece of work that was developed into a song... or who knows what... and trimming out the signature.

This is the kind of thing where I am 100% for a redemption card where the collector would receive the complete item.

I collect vintage hollywood signatures. Nothing bothers me more than the companies that trim parts of the signatures off to fit them into their cards. A signature collector knows that the value of an autograph is greatly reduced when parts are missing or trimmed off.

Not taking anything away from your card. It's still the first of a kind and would be highly prized in any collection.
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think asking people what they would pay for it is very smart. Certainly a card is only worth what people are willing to pay, but if people like myself don't have the money to buy a card like this, I would obviously only spend a couple hundred dollars. Your question should be, "If you had the money, what would you be willing to spend on this card?"

Because if anyone who has the money would only spend less than $499 for this (ie. 5 votes on the poll) they would have to be crazy.

I certainly dont have the money to buy cards like these, but if I was seriously looking to buy it, I would certainly get ready to spend at least $4000, though I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for double that estimate.

If you can find
snow3662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

This is exactly what I wrote (line 3 in the first post) - because I know this would be a problem for voting.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskettrader View Post
This is exactly what I wrote (line 3 in the first post) - because I know this would be a problem for voting.
Thought you worded it pretty good. Not sure why people are trying to pick this a part?
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Thought you worded it pretty good. Not sure why people are trying to pick this a part?
Thank you sir.
I tried to make my intension for this pull quite understandable so everybody can put his/her vote up here - no matter if he/she has the money or not to buy that card. Still think it is a good idea (not mine though ).
Old 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

The piece has one big thing going against it - they both didn't sign the same thing. Instead, it's two cut signatures put together to make a dual cut. My guess is that to some collectors, part of the lure of owning their autographs is to be able to have the paper or object that not only did they both sign, but they both at one point had actually touched in order to sign it, even if they didn't hold it at the same time. As a crude analogy, would you rather have a team signed poster, or a poster of the team with various cut signatures or sticker autographs on it?

These things being said - it's still a great piece that you should be proud to own and that you'd have no trouble selling for a great price if you're so inclined.
rizzeedizzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzeedizzee View Post
The piece has one big thing going against it - they both didn't sign the same thing. Instead, it's two cut signatures put together to make a dual cut. My guess is that to some collectors, part of the lure of owning their autographs is to be able to have the paper or object that not only did they both sign, but they both at one point had actually touched in order to sign it, even if they didn't hold it at the same time. As a crude analogy, would you rather have a team signed poster, or a poster of the team with various cut signatures or sticker autographs on it?

These things being said - it's still a great piece that you should be proud to own and that you'd have no trouble selling for a great price if you're so inclined.
I personally do not know any cut autograph card of any of those "big manufacturers" who brought up any dual cut consisting of one piece with two autographs on it. So nothing new to that, in spite of the fact they had to bring up "cuts", I get your point.

But this being said, of course it would be a bit nicer - if any collector really cares - that actually both artists touched the same piece. For me it is important - if at all - that the artist touced his own one. So nothing comparable with sticker autographs.
The area for the cuts to be put on the card is also very limited. It is possible, that UD did not find any suitable piece which a) had had an autograph of Lennon and Harrison this close together to fit on a card and b) had passed the PSA/DNA authentication.

But, like I said, I do not know how relevant this is for the value of a card, but of course every collector has his own gusto and his own preferences - I absolutly understand that.

Last edited by baskettrader; 09-21-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

The people who collect cards probably wouldn't pay as much for it as the people who collect the Beatles. That said, if I had deep pockets, I'd throw put 3-4 thousand on that, but I'm no die hard fan.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
He is specifically asking how much you would pay as he would like to get a somewhat realistic idea of it's worth...
That's really not the best way to go about it. For example, I'm not a Beatles or Lennon/Harrison fan so, even though I do collect cards, I wouldn't pay much for it. But I know it's worth far more than I am interested in paying. I would only pay far less than I know that it's worth because I would only be interested in reselling it.

Quote:
as we all know, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Right, what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what everyone is willing to pay for it or even what a bunch of people are willing to hypothetically pay for it. This isn't a commodity, it is a unique collectible.

The poll is interesting but it doesn't do anything to value the item.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
That's really not the best way to go about it. For example, I'm not a Beatles or Lennon/Harrison fan so, even though I do collect cards, I wouldn't pay much for it. But I know it's worth far more than I am interested in paying. I would only pay far less than I know that it's worth because I would only be interested in reselling it.

Right, what someone is willing to pay for it. Not what everyone is willing to pay for it or even what a bunch of people are willing to hypothetically pay for it. This isn't a commodity, it is a unique collectible.

The poll is interesting but it doesn't do anything to value the item.
You are definitely right saying that all it matters is one person who would pay the most for it in an auction. Yes, it is just like it is - I need one person, neither everyone nor a bunch of people.

So my expectation of this pull was not to know how much I would get exactly if I would put the cut on ebay the next day, but to get an idea of - again - someone would pay for it potentially, if he had the money and the interest to buy it.
If just one of those 11 people e.g. who claimed to pay more than $4000 really pay those $4K in an auction, I know that the value of this card is at the moment $4K.
But now I know, that $4000 or more is just an assertion, I do not know if it is true or not.

Therefore I would not say this poll does not do anything to the value, it just does not give me an exact value, but a first idea of what it may be worth and this is all I wanted to get.

Imo it is just a question how serious you take that poll as a voter and how much you read into this poll as a questioner.

Last edited by baskettrader; 09-21-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Not to nitpick, because as I noted in my previous response this is for certain a once in a lifetime pull, but the actual number of people who would pay a lot for this card might not be as high as you'd think. For one, whoever buys this could not add the signatures of the two living members of the band. Another issue is that it's such a rare, valuable card that the general collecting public likely would not be in the market for it. That leaves Beatles collectors, who for the reason I noted above plus the reason I indicated in my other post (i.e., it's an assembled card, as opposed to a card that was signed - and thus touched - by both of them), might not be as interested in it as you'd think.

My advice is if you can afford to be patient you should be able to eventually the right buyer at the right price. But it might take longer than you expect and if you don't wait then the price you end up getting might be a lot less than you'd hoped or imagined.

Last edited by rizzeedizzee; 09-21-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Not to nitpick, because as I noted in my previous response this is for certain a once in a lifetime pull, but the actual number of people who would pay a lot for this card might not be as high as you'd think. For one, whoever buys this could not add the signatures of the two living members of the band. Another issue is that it's such a rare, valuable card that the general collecting public likely would not be in the market for it. That leaves Beatles collectors, who for the reason I noted above plus the reason I indicated in my other post (i.e., it's an assembled card, as opposed to a card that was signed - and thus touched - by both of them), might not be as interested in it as you'd think.

My advice is if you can afford to be patient you should be able to eventually the right buyer at the right price. But it might take longer than you expect and if you don't wait then the price you end up getting might be a lot less than you'd hoped or imagined.
First of all, you are not nitpicking at all. I am glad to hear some serious and objectiv statements about the value, collectorship etc. this is why I started this thread and this poll.

Despite the fact, that it is never possible for any collector of a card to get a third man on an auto, which is only authenticated on the back for those two artists, the producer planed to have on this card, I surly get your point.
But I think if I would restrict my focus on Beatles collectors in a few years or decades, when selling the card, I would get problems because many of them just do not collect TCs. I think many fans who never collected any cards cannot really interpret the important meaning of a "1/1", etc. So I got to find a buyer who cares to get a card which is a one of a kind, etc.

You also have to consider, if any Beatles cuts are going to be produced and certified again, etc. which is also very important for the future value of the TC, which it indeed is. It is no simple autograph card imo, so there are difficulties in making comparison between TCs and simple autographs.

But there is absolutly no rush selling the card.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

It's definitely a key point that any item with both Lennon and Harrison's autographs on it will either be in the form of something that both of them signed before Lennon died, or something that consists of assembled cuts like you have. And I'd venture that the vast majority of items where the piece was actually signed by both of them are already in the hands of private collectors, or would have questions about their authenticity if they were to just now surface. In truth, assembled cuts like this will be able to be made for quite some time, as individual autographs of both are separately available.

Your card is key in that it's the two deceased members and it's got a "stamp of approval" from UD. Now we all know that UD has had several issues with authenticity and the like in the past, but despite that I think we can all agree that far more of their high profile autographs are likely 100% authentic than not.

I definitely do not suggest waiting too long, as I don't see what can be gained from doing so, plus the more time that goes by the more questions might arise as to UD's reputation. Plus, not to be morbid, but once Paul or Ringo die, then the attention will shift to them, and that fact that your card would not have the other deceased member on it would be seen as a drawback.

If I were you, I'd try to unload it by the end of 2012 and would take anything over $3000, perhaps even $2500. But again, that's just me.

Last edited by rizzeedizzee; 09-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
It's definitely a key point that any item with both Lennon and Harrison's autographs on it will either be in the form of something that both of them signed before Lennon died, or something that consists of assembled cuts like you have. And I'd venture that the vast majority of items where the piece was actually signed by both of them are already in the hands of private collectors, or would have questions about their authenticity if they were to just now surface. In truth, assembled cuts like this will be able to be made for quite some time, as individual autographs of both are separately available.

Your card is key in that it's the two deceased members and it's got a "stamp of approval" from UD. Now we all know that UD has had several issues with authenticity and the like in the past, but despite that I think we can all agree that far more of their high profile autographs are likely 100% authentic than not.

I definitely do not suggest waiting too long, as I don't see what can be gained from doing so, plus the more time that goes by the more questions might arise as to UD's reputation. Plus, not to be morbid, but once Paul or Ringo die, then the attention will shift to them, and that fact that your card would not have the other deceased member on it would be seen as a drawback.

If I were you, I'd try to unload it by the end of 2012 and would take anything over $3000, perhaps even $2500. But again, that's just me.
The authenticity of both autographs is not only guaranteed by Upper Deck, but, which is far more important for any serious collector, by one of the most reputable third partie authentication services called PSA/DNA (the certification is on the back of the card). I cannot remember they ever had any trust issues. So I think nobody has to worry about trust issues.

In my opinion (God forbid!) when time has come for Ringo and Paul, the attention for truely certified autographs will skyrocket - remember MJ (RIP!) collectibles.
But like I said, it is not about selling now, just an overview of people`s estimations.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Taking into account neither signature is a vintage signature and they both appear to be from their solo periods and not on the same item I would only go about 2,000 on this with the lennon being worth the most about 1500.00 max. a nice and rare piece with the right coa you could get more from around the world.
generallou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by generallou View Post
Taking into account neither signature is a vintage signature and they both appear to be from their solo periods
How do you make this out? Would be interesting to know.

Again, there is a COA from PSA/DNA on the back of the card. I think I cannot ask for more.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #24 (permalink)

I like how the poll is almost split between the lowest and highest option LoL
Old 09-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskettrader View Post
How do you make this out? Would be interesting to know.

Again, there is a COA from PSA/DNA on the back of the card. I think I cannot ask for more.
By what they signed in the cuts looks like a george harrison photo from one of his albums, lennon sig in the beatle days was different, and most people who are beatle collectors what the early stuff, you can find signature studies of the beatles if you search. Most autos of them out there today are fakes, and many from the beatle era are from their friend Aspinal who would sign cards photos and albums for them( and he was good but you can tell if you know what to look for). Not knocking your card its just not a 5000 dollar card like some think for that much money if you know where to look you could find a real nice signed item. And Psa is NOT the great authenticator people think they are mistakes are being found by the hundreds that they said were okay, Charlton Heston, Jimmy Stewart, Jerry Lewis to name a few an internet search will show that, When it comes to beatle autos Frank Caiazzo is the Number 1 Authority on Beatles Handwriting in the World!

Last edited by generallou; 09-22-2011 at 06:31 PM.
generallou is offline   Reply With Quote