Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default American Heritage Project

Hi Guys and Gals,

I just wanted to share what I'm doing with American Heritage. I teach Social Studies in a small town in North Dakota. I bought one box and gave each 8th grader in my history class one pack. The students get one day to trade with each other and pick one person to research and write a one page paper on the person. Tommorow we hit the lib. to research

I was worried if we hit a cut but my thinking was since I was buying it wouldn't happen HAHA

It was funny because one gal in my class hit a Babe Ruth serial # /80 so all the boys are trying to trade with her.

oh and our hits were a Harry Truman Relic and BB King Relic redemption. John Deere was also a hot tradedable card (must be a North Dakota thing)

I hope some students will then think about trading cards as a hobby
msu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm also a teacher in a small town. I think that is a great way to peak students' interests and motivate them for the assignment. This gives them a nice alternative to staring at the textbook for another day. Please let me know how it turns out. I might have to give this a try.

So, did you keep the relic cards or did they?
nephinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Great Idea...I love it! Very temped to pick some of this up myself given the history that on the card. Plus the old relics (uss constitution, etc) I think are very interesting...to bad I'm really trying to cut back. I need to get my garage built and a duck boat to put in it...so somethings to got give.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

That is a very good idea. I may have to recommend this to my dad so he can use it for his students. He used to put names in a hat for me when it came to doing a book report and I would pull out a name and do it that way. This sounds like a fun thing to do.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

HAHA I was going to keep the relics but decided that wouldn't be to fair. I was not happy that I had to explain what a redemption card was....

thanks for the feedback....I'll report back when were finished
Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Great Idea...I love it! Very temped to pick some of this up myself given the history that on the card. Plus the old relics (uss constitution, etc) I think are very interesting...to bad I'm really trying to cut back. I need to get my garage built and a duck boat to put in it...so somethings to got give.
Robert, don't start. I bought a box to get a base card of Mark Twain for my wife (related to him). I now have 2 more coming (BO $69 weekend special) and I am planning on getting a couple more when they go lower in price Bought the Constitution card on E-Bay and it is sweet(received it Saturday).
Magicman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicman32 View Post
Robert, don't start. I bought a box to get a base card of Mark Twain for my wife (related to him). I now have 2 more coming (BO $69 weekend special) and I am planning on getting a couple more when they go lower in price Bought the Constitution card on E-Bay and it is sweet(received it Saturday).
Magic...we may need to talk....let's just say "clemens" is about a branch away on my family tree. If I'm not mistaken Samuel is a 5th cousin.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Magic...we may need to talk....let's just say "clemens" is about a branch away on my family tree. If I'm not mistaken Samuel is a 5th cousin.

That's a little crazy. I am not sure her connection, but I think it is cousins as well. I know that it is on the Clemens side as well. I know that any card that comes out of his, I have to get at least one for her... I have like 6 1 of 1's out of Cuts last year.
Magicman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

At least you guys are related to someone like that. My mothers side of the family is related to the Booth family. That's right John Wilkes Booth.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

I'm related to no one famous or infamous that I know about...My Dad's Mom's side or my Grandma's family is related to the Braun family, so we are checking into Ryan Braun as a cousin of somesort or such..(that would be sooo cool even if I am a Cubs fan)
Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

That is a neat idea! I'm sure you've got the students full attention with this project...and the students will benefit from it too-great!!
Highcheese4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

According to my Grandfather, I'm a descendant of William De Warren, aka William the Conqueror. Maybe that explains my bad attitude.
IndySportsCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Well, the papers were due on friday and I just finished going through them.

I would have to say that the project was a success!

Of course some kids didn't like the research......but not to bad

I think I'll do it again next year....
Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Glad to hear it went well. I was wondering how the project was going. No surprise the kids didn't like the research...my students don't like it much either. At least you provided them with a fun start to their projects.

Ever since I read your first post about this, I've been trying to figure out a way to incorporate it into my 6th grade classroom. Did you buy a hobby or retail box? I'm assuming hobby since there were two hits, right?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, it was Hobby. I would think Retail would work as most of the students don't really know what a "Hit" is.

I would think for 6th grade you could just get some of the cards and have put them together in like a timeline sort of thing. Maybe groups of three and they use the cards for their timelines---then hang them up around the room.

as you know group work is a royal pain in the ....... but sometimes it can work out.

How many kids in your room?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I might have to give some of this a try. I was thinking retail might work just as well.

Last year there were 27, this year I have 24 in my room. Needless to say, it's crowded. How about you?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah retail would work--less hits more base.

I have 22 8th graders in North Dakota History, 2 sections of World History one with 14 students and the other 22, 1 section of Psychology 9 Students, 1 section of Intro to Social Studies with 3 students, and 1 ITV class with 6 here and 10 other students at 4 other schools. So my class sizes are good.

24 6th graders is about 7 too many!!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu29 View Post
Yeah retail would work--less hits more base.

I have 22 8th graders in North Dakota History, 2 sections of World History one with 14 students and the other 22, 1 section of Psychology 9 Students, 1 section of Intro to Social Studies with 3 students, and 1 ITV class with 6 here and 10 other students at 4 other schools. So my class sizes are good.

24 6th graders is about 7 too many!!
You said it! Once in a while, I try to rearrange their desks and switch seating assignments. What a nightmare! There is just no room left in the classroom with all those desks & chairs. I'm sure you experience a similar situation.

I teach everything except Social Studies...but I have two sections of Science (that's where I thought the American Heritage cards might come into play). I shared your idea with my fellow teacher who teaches the Social Studies and she was interested in putting something together. If we do, I will be sure to let you know how it goes.

Do the students from other schools come to you or do you have to go to them?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm at my school and they are at theirs. It's a new grant with Interactive TV and all assignments are done over the Internet via e-mail which is nice because I don't have to mail anything.

The Itv is pretty sweet two huge flat screen tv's which can then be split four ways so I can monitor all the students. The big problem is how do you get 5 HS to have the same schedules or when 3 have snow days and 2 don't
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

That's a good point...schedules are always a problem. The ITV sounds like a great way to teach the classes. I hope our school gets something like soon. We have some rural schools that are affiliated with us. Sometimes, communication is not the best and different curriculum alignments can create problems.

Back to the schedule issue: Our school is trying to finalize next year's and they are running into conflicts between the high school and middle school. What's new? We go through that every year. Lol.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Yeah I like when the admin. asks for our feedback (on next years schedules)and then do what they want anyway.....

I'm like why did you ask?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu29 View Post
Yeah I like when the admin. asks for our feedback (on next years schedules)and then do what they want anyway.....

I'm like why did you ask?
DING! DING! DING!

Gee, that sounds SOOOOOO familiar.