Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The death of a non-sport company, Inkworks goes under

The non-sport card boards have been speculating on the demise of Inkworks for weeks, it was obvious something was very wrong but the official announcement came today, "Inkworks has ceased normal business operation.".

While the announcement came today, it was obvious it was going to happen, their last few releases were dismal failures, with the exception of Twilight which was fuelled by tweens driving boxes to absurd levels (close to $300 for a box that has no autographs and just 1 costume card). They've sold off their remaining stock and several "unreleased" autographs as well as some of the tougher autographs are already starting to hit ebay in quantity, with more to come soon I'm sure.

In addition to poorly performing licenses their last few sets were full of redemption cards, some entire autograph runs were redemptions but one of the keys to their demise was when they officially switched to sticker autographs, the backlash was severe. A lot of us were very vocal in out displeasure of stickers, I personally never bought another Inkworks box after that and have none of their sticker autographs. The backlash was intense enough to get noticed by the other non-sport companies and Rittenhouse Archives formally announced they will NEVER use sticker autographs, even putting this nice logo on their website:

I have fond memories of Inkworks from way back and a good portion of my collection is Inkworks Buffy autographs as well as a few Serenity, Smallville, Veronica Mars and Charmed autos. I'll miss the way Inkworks was in the past but at the end they weren't the same and I won't miss what they became.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Bummer. My wife bought her first case of inkworks a while back (Charmed..unsure of which series), but really enjoyed their stuff.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

wow things are bad , even card companies going under. the only thing i bought from them were hellboy and the spirit and really liked them. very good quality cards.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tim

I just sent in 17 auto redemptions last Monday.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

strange is that they have no explanation on there site yet ?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Things just keep getting more and more interesting. After the literally 10's of thousands of "left over" autographs and costume cards Inkworks sold off to various buyers, including Razor who sneakily sold singles off through a different ebay account before their Razor Ink Archives cases hit the market, now we have a twist as several unsigned autographs are starting to hit ebay now from 1 seller who purchased a portion of the Inkworks stock. So far it's just 8 Supernatural autos and the 2 Smallville multi case dual autograph incentive cards that have surfaced but who knows what else might surface next.

Here's a link to 1 of them

Supernatural Autograph Card A6 Marnette Patterson BLANK on eBay, also Other, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Trading Cards, Collectibles (end time 16-Apr-09 04:46:29 BST)

Last edited by Incarnadine; 04-10-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote