Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default New product idea for ITG horror fans

Okay, so I'm reading one of my Christmas presents (Zombies: An Illustrated history) and I begin thinking of what I feel would be another great ITG product non-sport wise like this past year's Hooray for Hollywood and Horrors of War.

Going to throw the initial idea here and everyone can chime in with opinions/additions/etc. Who knows, maybe Dr. Price needs another creative development/in-house legal counsel team member and i can shoot him my resume

Anyway, product I have in mind is...

Title: Late Night Double Feature Picture Show: The Horror Icons

Product Description; each pack/box contains a double autograph of two horror movie icons, becoming the first product in no-sport history to feature a double auto as a hit guaranteed....that's right a "double feature" in every pack.

Base cards (my favorite artist right now for horror is Joel robinson) or a possible sketch card fill out the rest of the pack.

The Product run major hits;

Lugosi/Chaney
Karloff/Lugosi
Karloff/Chaney
Christopher Lee/Gary Oldman
Stephen King/Clive Barker
Alfred Hitchcock/ Edgar Allen Poe

Subsets include;
Hunter and Hunted --ex. Browning and Julia Adams from Creature from the Black Lagoon, Englund and Langenkamp from Nightmare on Elm St, and tons of other villian/victim combos

Scream Queens -- Jamie Lee Curtis, Danielle Harris, and all your favorite screamers

Reincarnations --- the mutliple actor who have played Jason, Michael Myers, Leatherface, etc. on one card

What else we got BO members??....get creative!!!! Let's build a fun horror set up in our heads!
Rinkwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Horror movies might be too limiting given the size of Famous Fabrics 1/1 auto lots... Now, I could see a great subset in one of the Hollywood type products.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Where do I sign up?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Gotta include the 'B' movies too! I'd love an Ed Wood/Bela or Ed Wood/Maila Nurmi, and no, a Depp/ Landau or Lisa Marie won't do!
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Where do I sign up?
Oh don't you worry my friend. Your name popped up pretty early in my head when I thought this baby up. I'm thinking now the sketch cards are randomly inserted instead of the base cards every 3 or 4 packs putting a premium on both. So we'll put you in charge of building the sketch artist zombie army

Not sure if you know him, but Joel is an artist on the horror convention circuit and already has a Jason Voorhees card pack out there. artpusher.net I have a couple of his pieces signed by the actors. He does pretty fun stuff with the horror pieces.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Horror movies might be too limiting given the size of Famous Fabrics 1/1 auto lots... Now, I could see a great subset in one of the Hollywood type products.
I'll disagree here, horror fans and the conventions are riding the hot heels of the comic-con pop culture craze and the Walking Dead and other big Hollywood flix (RIPD coming next year, filming in Boston now) will only push it higher over the next couple years.

Horror also plays well into the canadian sub-culture (ITG target market) as the Rue Morgue festival is part of their Comic-Con every year. But if you go to a horror convention, the auto dealers are the same types who have 8x10s of everyone imaginable at their table (the same type of dealers you avoid at sports shows). You give me certified slabbed autos like ITG can deliver and that dealer will have lots of interest at his table.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkwraith View Post
Oh don't you worry my friend. Your name popped up pretty early in my head when I thought this baby up. I'm thinking now the sketch cards are randomly inserted instead of the base cards every 3 or 4 packs putting a premium on both. So we'll put you in charge of building the sketch artist zombie army

Not sure if you know him, but Joel is an artist on the horror convention circuit and already has a Jason Voorhees card pack out there. artpusher.net I have a couple of his pieces signed by the actors. He does pretty fun stuff with the horror pieces.
I love the all dual-auto idea! The possibilities are endless.

I'm planning a trip to Zombie Mecca in April - Evans City Cemetery and Monroeville Mall (plus hitting a Pirates game). I could scoop up some cemetery dirt for relics.

Impressive work! I've heard his name before, but don't remember ever seeing his stuff.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I'll disagree here, horror fans and the conventions are riding the hot heels of the comic-con pop culture craze and the Walking Dead and other big Hollywood flix (RIPD coming next year, filming in Boston now) will only push it higher over the next couple years.

Horror also plays well into the canadian sub-culture (ITG target market) as the Rue Morgue festival is part of their Comic-Con every year. But if you go to a horror convention, the auto dealers are the same types who have 8x10s of everyone imaginable at their table (the same type of dealers you avoid at sports shows). You give me certified slabbed autos like ITG can deliver and that dealer will have lots of interest at his table.
I'll agree with you. You could make 100 cards from a single movie easily with all the actor/director/writer/fx combinations - and every one of them would make a horror fan happy.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I wasn't talking about the fans. I was talking about getting 1600 autos just for horror.

Quote:
I'll agree with you. You could make 100 cards from a single movie easily with all the actor/director/writer/fx combinations - and every one of them would make a horror fan happy.
Goes against the 1/1 auto of recent FF releases.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the fans. I was talking about getting 1600 autos just for horror.

Goes against the 1/1 auto of recent FF releases.
But each one would be unique. You could have:

George Romero / Tom Savini
Tom Savini / Ken Foree
Ken Foree / George Romero

So then each one would be unique, true 1/1. I think the Hooray for Hollywood set had a few multiple autos of the same person, they were just in different subsets.

This set could be broken down into sub-genres: Zombies, Vampires, Psycho Axe Murderers.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to ceczerwonka Send a message via Yahoo to ceczerwonka

I would love to have a Bruce Campbell/Sam Raimi dual.
ceczerwonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Another thing, aside from huge names like Karloff and Lugosi, this product could support a nicer price point.

I did notice in the Hooray for Hollywood checklist there are quite a few actors that would leave many folks scratching their heads, like Jim Krut (Helicopter Zombie in Dawn of the Dead). Paying $150 to get that auto would probably disappoint just about anyone opening a box of HFH, but in a horror-specific set I think you'll be getting real fans busting boxes which would make someone happier to pull this. When you open HFH you're really looking for Elvis, getting an unbilled zombie pretty much sucks. But in a horror product, getting a zombie with a cult following in the genre is cool.

We can compare this to the Enforcers cards coming out. Most collectors might not buy into it because there's no Gretzky, Gordie Howe, etc. But I think it's going to be huge for the niche of collectors who are all about the tough guys. And the limited run pretty much ensures its value.

Horror just happens to be a niche that has found a significant spot in the mainstream lately, and could make for a big success if done well!
Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Money in the bank. dd316 and I could split the time periods (you want early - 70s or 80s- current dd?) and come up with droolworthy 800 combos for each genre.

Let alone the rare triple and quad inserts.....what? all the cennobites on one card? Malcolm McDowell and the droogies on one card?

I can't even imagine some of the horror guys dancing around a convention if they pulled one of these at the convo let alone a Lugosi.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Money in the bank. dd316 and I could split the time periods (you want early - 70s or 80s- current dd?) and come up with droolworthy 800 combos for each genre.

Let alone the rare triple and quad inserts.....what? all the cennobites on one card? Malcolm McDowell and the droogies on one card?

I can't even imagine some of the horror guys dancing around a convention if they pulled one of these at the convo let alone a Lugosi.
You could even have cards with multiple actors who played the same character. A card with 7 Jason Voorhees autos? Every Michael Myers? How about a Boris Karloff / Robert DeNiro duo - both played Frankenstein's monster.

Hell, Robert Englund tends to draw a little Freddy caricature when he signs, imagine how much one of those on an "official" sketch card could go for?

I don't need to list 800 combos to know that these cards would rock (nor do I have the time ! You can easily have tons of great names.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You could even have cards with multiple actors who played the same character. A card with 7 Jason Voorhees autos? Every Michael Myers? How about a Boris Karloff / Robert DeNiro duo - both played Frankenstein's monster.

Hell, Robert Englund tends to draw a little Freddy caricature when he signs, imagine how much one of those on an "official" sketch card could go for?

I don't need to list 800 combos to know that these cards would rock (nor do I have the time ! You can easily have tons of great names.
We'll call it one, two...Freddy's drawing for you. It's sure to be some of the most talked about non-sports sets in history. I saw Englund last year and he's coming to your neck of the woods in march this year. He'd be laughing hysterically drawing each one. I'd even make him draw a Zombie Strippers one (PC that one of course). Oh boy...a dual Englund/Jameson one...card number 1669 there....
Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
We'll call it one, two...Freddy's drawing for you. It's sure to be some of the most talked about non-sports sets in history. I saw Englund last year and he's coming to your neck of the woods in march this year. He'd be laughing hysterically drawing each one. I'd even make him draw a Zombie Strippers one (PC that one of course). Oh boy...a dual Englund/Jameson one...card number 1669 there....
I love it!

Don't know if you ever saw this, but I got Robert to sign a drawing I did a little while back:

Of course I also bought his book from him, and got his Freddy sketch in it.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Been thinking more about this and my cemetery dirt idea. How cool would relics be in this? Especially blood-spattered variants! Don't know if it's feasible, but I can see relics of Freddy's sweater going through the roof.

The relics in the Walking Dead set are very popular.