Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   NON-SPORTS (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/)
-   -   Oval office vs pennsylvania ave (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/260142-oval-office-vs-pennsylvania-ave.html)

kyle1707 02-20-2012 03:55 PM

Oval office vs pennsylvania ave

I'm buying one..... i'm leaning toward pennsylvania ave

because of the extra hits

Im thinking the base cards from pennsylvania ave could have a lot of value plus you get 2 cuts?

any other advice on which one to buy would be great

thanks klyle

coltsnsox07 02-20-2012 08:22 PM

I really like the look of Oval Office but I don't like that most of them are numbered 'up to 5', meaning probably 5 Fords, 5 Betty/Gerald Ford, 5 Ford/Carter(that's 15 boxes!), but of course 1 Washington etc. 1600 is all 1/1's plus the second cut could really be interesting, kind of a mystery of who could be in the diff. groups on the sell sheet. Doesn't matter that there are no George Washingtons. I'm getting one of each.

t2554 02-20-2012 08:44 PM

Not that I can afford either right now, but I would go with your gut and go with the two cuts plus 4 base cards, which will definitely have some value because there are only 10 of each base card.

mwheeler27 02-20-2012 08:52 PM

6 cards vs. 1.

2 cut autos vs. 1.

Both are guaranteed to give you a Presidential cut.

One is cheaper than the other.

Pretty easy decision if you ask me. :)!

Nicnac 02-20-2012 09:28 PM

Whichever one you decide on, make it quick so we can move on to Music Music Music :D

kajshack 02-20-2012 09:49 PM

The thing about it is that, at least in the United States, the Leaf brand name carries more clout. Despite what things Brian Gray has allegedly done in the past, if you go head-to-head, Leaf products retain more value (at least recently). Look at Metal or Valiant baseball vs. Heroes and Prospects baseball. One product held its value pretty well (at least in the form of sealed wax) and one didn't.

I think ITG/Famous Fabrics makes beautiful cards. I busted a case of Famous Fabrics series 2 and fell in love. Horrors of War looked great also. The problem is, as a seller, I've had a hard time getting anywhere close to a decent return on ITG/Famous Fabrics products. I've done much better with Leaf products.

My opinion only, take it for what it's worth.

dd316 02-20-2012 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=kajshack;2267307]
I think ITG/Famous Fabrics makes beautiful cards. I busted a case of Famous Fabrics series 2 and fell in love. Horrors of War looked great also. The problem is, as a seller, I've had a hard time getting anywhere close to a decent return on ITG/Famous Fabrics products. I've done much better with Leaf products.
[/QUOTE]

This set is going to appeal to those who collect beyond cards, which will help. I think a lot of that drove the popularity of Horrors of War to where they're already planning another set. These sets speak to people who don't even care about cards. It's probably why so many baseball sets now include Presidential and historic cards - Gotta get the guy that doesn't collect baseball cards... to buy baseball cards!

kyle1707 02-20-2012 11:48 PM

I'm going to go with Penn Ave..

Mainly becuase of the 6 hits

I think the base cards will do well

Will post results hopefully wed...

mwheeler27 02-20-2012 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=kyle1707;2268142]I'm going to go with Penn Ave..

Mainly becuase of the 6 hits

I think the base cards will do well

Will post results hopefully wed...[/QUOTE]

Easy, smart decision. :)!

Good luck!

kyle1707 02-21-2012 12:02 AM

I do agree with all the comments

I think oval office has a following even though it has only been a year and will resell better

I was really a big player in goodwin this year as was Wheeler

He made the president set and me and some guys opened 20 cases of goodwin

People went crazy over those president paintings

The base and the xtra cut is key

Because odds are so far against you in both products... In penn ave atleast you get 6 cards if you pull nixon

Thanks kyle

kajshack 02-21-2012 12:42 AM

Kyle, if I was buying one box for myself and didn't care about resale value, I'd make the same choice. Good luck.

Dobber2330 02-21-2012 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=kajshack;2268362]Kyle, if I was buying one box for myself and didn't care about resale value, I'd make the same choice. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

At least with Brian Price's products the hits make it out the front door and not into someone's hands who happens to be a friend. The first Razor poker had presidential cut autographs that never seemed to be hit when people ripped the hell out of them. The second Leaf poker product had the mysterious Stu Ungar cut that never saw the light of day. Most of Leaf's products that have held value contain cards from other companies that were already valueable. Keep being a sheep Kajshack - Brian Gray likes it better that way....

kajshack 02-21-2012 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=Dobber2330;2268394]At least with Brian Price's products the hits make it out the front door and not into someone's hands who happens to be a friend. The first Razor poker had presidential cut autographs that never seemed to be hit when people ripped the hell out of them. The second Leaf poker product had the mysterious Stu Ungar cut that never saw the light of day. Most of Leaf's products that have held value contain cards from other companies that were already valueable. Keep being a sheep Kajshack - Brian Gray likes it better that way....[/QUOTE]

You didn't read my post or my previous post clearly. I like ITG/Famous Fabrics/Sport Kings. I've bought plenty of it. It just doesn't have resale value. That's not disputable. It's simply not.

So if I was opening a box as a collector and not worried about resale, I'd absolutely go with 1600. That's a compliment to the product.

marino5084 02-21-2012 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=Nicnac;2267154]Whichever one you decide on, make it quick so we can move on to Music Music Music :D[/QUOTE]

I want to open some of that as well. Hopefully Dr Price took to heart some of the checklist suggestions. It should be a great product.

Zerokruel 02-21-2012 12:53 PM

IMO - I would go for Price's product over Gray's. The only thing that keep sticking out, is all the controversy that surrounded the first Oval Office release. I'm sure there has been better or more due diligence this time around - but that is an ugly stigma to have on such a high end product.

Plus like what everyone has already mentioned - 2 cuts, and 6 base cards do add value to this break. However, I don't like having both of these products released so close to one another. That doesn't help the secondary market at all.

edhou1 02-21-2012 01:53 PM

Presuming my understanding of the checklist is correct, I think the best pulls in Leaf are better however than the ones in Penn Ave. While you do have JFK/Marilyn in the Penn release, you do not have George Washington and quite a few nice dual cuts - such as Hitler, Churchill, Mandela to name a few.
I am getting a box of the Leaf this week.

ZappBrannigan 02-21-2012 02:54 PM

The base cards in the Famous Fabrics stuff is frightening. They need a new artist.
[url]http://famousfabrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/FF-Pres_Reagan.jpg[/url]

kajshack 02-21-2012 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=ZappBrannigan;2270338]The base cards in the Famous Fabrics stuff is frightening. They need a new artist.
[url]http://famousfabrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/FF-Pres_Reagan.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Evil Robot Reagan. "Tear down this wall...beep bop boop..00110011001"

dd316 02-21-2012 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=ZappBrannigan;2270338]The base cards in the Famous Fabrics stuff is frightening. They need a new artist.
[url]http://famousfabrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/FF-Pres_Reagan.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

Hopefully it's frightening enough to scare you off. :)!

kyle1707 02-21-2012 05:17 PM

I thought release was wed looks thur for me...

I agree the base cards are not the best.. But there is value there for sure...
there will be people making the set... Horror of war set sold for 1500 ish and i believe the presidents will do better

like i said if you pull Ford in oval office you get ford

If you pull Ford in Penn Ave. you get another cut and 4 base...

Dont know why Washington is not in Penn ave?

Oval office will sell better but i want to reduce risk a little.. lol

edhou1 02-21-2012 05:27 PM

[QUOTE=kyle1707;2271206]I thought release was wed looks thur for me...

I agree the base cards are not the best.. But there is value there for sure...
there will be people making the set... Horror of war set sold for 1500 ish and i believe the presidents will do better

like i said if you pull Ford in oval office you get ford

If you pull Ford in Penn Ave. you get another cut and 4 base...

Dont know why Washington is not in Penn ave?

Oval office will sell better but i want to reduce risk a little.. lol[/QUOTE]

Haven't seen a checklist for Penn Ave but I just don't know how the non-presidents will sell. I'd rather take the gamble on some better high end cuts versus an extra $100 or $150 value in each pack.

Reason why George W is not in Penn Ave?
Well, real reason is because the sig costs (relatively) too much, but the stated reason is that its based on the 'residents' of the White House, and as we know George preceded 1600 Penns Avenue.

kyle1707 02-21-2012 05:56 PM

thanks for the info...

I have not seen a full checklist of penn cuts either

If anyone has it please let me know...

From what i read... Penn Ave will have all presidents but Washington

So im not sure there is much a difference?

Besides the washington which is huge money... But it is such a long shot

edhou1 02-21-2012 06:49 PM

I personally would love to pull the Grant/Lee, Obama/Mandela, FDR/Hitler, FDR/Churchill, alexander hamilton or John Hancock. To me, there's about 20 cuts in this product that would be simply the centerpiece of my collection. ~20 out of 275 packs is approx a 1 in 13 shot of getting something really cool.

mwheeler27 02-21-2012 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=edhou1;2271289]Reason why George W is not in Penn Ave?
Well,[B] real reason is because the sig costs (relatively) too much[/B], but the stated reason is that its based on the 'residents' of the White House, and as we know George preceded 1600 Penns Avenue.[/QUOTE]

What are you basing this opinion on? Anything at all with substance?

kyle1707 02-21-2012 07:42 PM

Need BPrice to chime in

I'm paying 1400 dollars i would like to see a cut checklist :)