Blowout Cards Forums
Football promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lionsgate and eBay pulled my Hunger Games auction down (sketch available now)...

So I recently put up a sketchcard of Katniss on eBay for a 5 day auction and it sold well for $120. I thought since it did so well I'd draw another and see if I could get a good price for it. I set up another auction and put it up, it was up for 2 days with 6 bids; Today I got an email from eBay saying that lionsgate made them end my item (not only end it but erase all history of it, even the people who were bidding on it so I cant sell it to them outside eBay) because of copyright infringement, actually they called it "counterfeit items" which to that I said WTF!?

So now that I cant sell the card on eBay, I figured I'd show it on these boards and if anyone would be interested in owning it can send me a PM, or we can just bitch about eBay for a while, I know I will.

Last edited by G4RY; 04-02-2012 at 06:35 PM.
G4RY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

What on earth? Ebay is hilarious. So, does that mean we can get all ACEO cards pulled if we complain?
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
What on earth? Ebay is hilarious. So, does that mean we can get all ACEO cards pulled if we complain?
I dont know, it sounded to me like Lionsgate is removing a bunch of these, but they have no right to. Original (non-reproduced) artwork is protected, even if it is of owned characters. I sent Lionsgate an angry email, but I probably wont hear back. eBay was just complying with their policies but it was stated very clearly on my auction that it was original art, not a reproduction.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had this issue once in the past. It's actually a compliance violation and put my account in "medium" (yellow).

Sorry about your luck on that one. Great card and good luck on the sale.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yet another reason why ebay sucks the big fat hairy one.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Truth is I'd actually much rather sell it to someone on a forum like this, OUTSIDE of eBay and its fees and other policies.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

SOLD - thanks everyone!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

Card was pretty sweet looking. Glad you were able to still sell it

Maybe if Lionsgate would have been smart they would have hooked up with a major card company and did sketch cards, think they're just mad because they saw it and realized how stupid they were for not taking advantage of a great marketing opportunity.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Here's what I don't understand....

You make fantastic art and it gets pulled, however this sketch of Norman Reedus with Down's Syndrome is still up for sale. Where's the justice?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
The Madbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madbacker View Post
Here's what I don't understand....

You make fantastic art and it gets pulled, however this sketch of Norman Reedus with Down's Syndrome is still up for sale. Where's the justice?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
haha, I just face plain when my 'Walking Dead sketch' search is full of crappy attempts at art (there are some nice ones from real artists though).

You mean to tell me you wouldn't want to own one of these beauties?!

t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

That seller has the weirdest auctions I've ever seen.

As I wrote, glad you sold it. Not necessarily glad I didn't have funds for it tho! Lol. Awesome card!
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was another sketch artist who reported your listing and had it taken down.
My-Coolectibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #13 (permalink)

F*ck their policies...Ebay has become a communist auction site, they wont ban the sh*tty sellers or fake jerseys but they'll pull this.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My-Coolectibles View Post
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it was another sketch artist who reported your listing and had it taken down.
you think?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
haha, I just face plain when my 'Walking Dead sketch' search is full of crappy attempts at art (there are some nice ones from real artists though).

You mean to tell me you wouldn't want to own one of these beauties?!

Time for me to start some art cards. My ability is about par with those!

Hope I still remember what I learned from `Picture Pages'. Time to get my crayons and my pencils.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4RY View Post
you think?
No, the violation you received can only come from a company the company owning a trademark or license.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

More than likely, someone from NECA saw it and they complained to Lionsgate, forcing the takedown...maybe they should have just gave a damn and put out a set worthy of the property.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Same thing happen to me yesterday. I had done five Hunger Games related cards (none nearly as good as Gary's by the way) after seeing the movie opening night. Not surprisingly the only one that sold was the one of Katniss. I had done one of each of the main characters and relisted the unsold ones.

The second round of those ended yesterday around 2:00 pm. About 8:00 pm last night I received a notification from Ebay that Lions Gate had filed a complaint and they removed all of the unsold cards, citing them as "counterfeit products." Yes, they actually went to the effort to complain about and remove listings that had all ready ended. Perhaps they had filed the complaint while the listing was still active and it took Ebay some time to go through, verify and delete them though I have no idea how the process works.

Before yesterday there was a good dozen or so various Hunger Games related ACEOs for sale on Ebay. Last night there were none so it looks like they had all of them taken down. I just checked and there are currently only two up at the moment. The letter received from Ebay prohibits from relisting the items in question or advertising them on their site so I guess I'll just file the ones I did away for the time being.

I ran a search yesterday to find out if anybody else had been effected by this after I received the email and found this thread so I made an account to post here but only had the account verified for posting on the forums a little while ago. Sorry if this is a little late in the reply.
ChrisMcJunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

damn I just saw this,I wanted to buy it
beautiful sketch
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote