Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Big Bang Theory master set sells huge

I thought this sold for a lot more than I anticipated. Just curious as to all of your thoughts?

BIG BANG THEORY CRYPTOZOIC ULTIMATE MASTER SET | eBay
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd have bought that sucker if I had the coin.

Why? Right now the cheapest case on the Bay is going for around $1,400. Best case scenario, that gets me a Sheldon or Penny auto. I'd have to fork over another $900-$1000 or so for the rest of the top 5. So I'd have paid >$2,000 for a master set, and I'd be stuck with 10 bajillion base sets and Kripke autos.

Really, if you want master sets (and I do), the easiest and cheapest way is to just suck it up and buy the damn things.
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
I'd have bought that sucker if I had the coin.

Why? Right now the cheapest case on the Bay is going for around $1,400. Best case scenario, that gets me a Sheldon or Penny auto. I'd have to fork over another $900-$1000 or so for the rest of the top 5. So I'd have paid >$2,000 for a master set, and I'd be stuck with 10 bajillion base sets and Kripke autos.

Really, if you want master sets (and I do), the easiest and cheapest way is to just suck it up and buy the damn things.
Someone mentioned that they bought a master set for $800 in another thread. That's quite the bargain, and I'm guessing presell months ago.

The only advantage to having the case, and the extra's are to sell the extra's off, which are doing decently on ebay for this set (amazingly well for W.D.). I broke open my case of this for my b'day this past weekend. It was a really fun break, which I may post more about later tonite.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
Best case scenario, that gets me a Sheldon or Penny auto.
Not true, really. Every case break i have seen or read about had two big hit autos; some had three. Your scenario above would be a worst case scenario of epic proportions.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Not true, really. Every case break i have seen or read about had two big hit autos; some had three. Your scenario above would be a worst case scenario of epic proportions.
That's better than I thought, but it doesn't change the math much. If I found Sheldon + Penny in that $1,400 case, I'd still need about $700 to complete the set, or $2,100 total--about $200 more than the master set went for. Finding Sheldon + Penny + one other hit would be a dream come true--and make the bust vs. buy outlay a wash.

I guess it comes down to one's interest in moving dupes, which is minimal in my case. Plus, I have no track record selling cards, which doesn't help at all.
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

That seems like a reasonable price. Looking at recent sales just the 5 rare autos will cost about $1,400. Another $100 for the 2 uncommons and $50 for the rest.
The wardrobe cards are kind of crazy, the 3 Penny costumes cost roughly $225 (Penny's top alone goes for around $125) and the rest average close to $25 each for about $350.

That's already about $2,100 , add the binder with the exclusive costume card and the inserts and it's a good deal considering current prices.
Incarnadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with Tim, the only case break I have seen that only hit 1 big auto had the 1/25 redemption. Btw, Blowout has these cases for $1200ish, I'm tempted to buy another one as I had a lot of fun opening this set. I'll go post my break in the other thread now.