Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytowntex View Post
i cant wait for this set to come out, the mark hamill autograph advertised looks like a real nice design... i would like to pull a hamill autograph and ford autograph..
lol, I think EVERY Star Wars fan would like that as well. Good luck tho lol.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
harrison Ford
Carrie Fisher
Mark Hamill
James Earl Jones

odds of these being l short printed ??
My guess is that there would be less than 25 Fords, 50 or less Fisher and Hamill and 100 or less of Jones with the balance being much more available.

The Kirchners will have to be made into cuts as ESB 3D was a widevision set.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

So, who here has preordered any yet?? Just curious. I don't think I'll do a case this time around, instead just a couple of boxes. Pretty pricey for me right now.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

I'm down for 2 cases, might go another 1 ?
Cant wait
andrewm6691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #30 (permalink)

I've put in a good size preorder.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

^ I am hoping to get a couple of boxes just for the base set, but not a case.

A case of any cards for over $1000 is pushing it to say the least. Is there really going to be $100 worth of material in every box? I guess if you are just a collector and can afford the money, then it doesn't matter, but if you are buying to re-sell, then I think it's a whole different ball game...
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Tim

Have you guys seen the artist list and samples? Sorry, but it's the same crop of artists that do G7. Which is great - for a $55 box. This one will be a loser for breakers.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

Yeah I saw the samples, and they all look like much higher quality than G7. G7 didn't have 6 autographs per case, 6 manufactured patches per case, a base set that will have SOME value, or parallels that will sell well.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #34 (permalink)

I'd love for a Bulloch autograph :-) even tho they are on stickers :-(
NamesJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanjs14 View Post
Yeah I saw the samples, and they all look like much higher quality than G7. G7 didn't have 6 autographs per case, 6 manufactured patches per case, a base set that will have SOME value, or parallels that will sell well.
I agree to a point. The base set will indeed have some value but how much are customers going to pay for a base set that is time consuming to assemble and expensive to ship? I would have been much more sure on the base value if packs did not contain so many cards as fewer base sets = less dumped on the market.

The parallels will sell well but the I am guessing that the value on most of the secondary hits (auto/patch) will average about $15-$20...not too awe inspiring unless you get one of the big hits. There are also a number of samples that I have seen that I certainly wouldn't want to pull from a $90 box as they will sell for under $30. What we need to see is an announcement that names like Hughes/Brooks/Kayanan/Vanderstelt/Bellinger will be doing cards.

I will likely still pick up a case, but I am far from optomistic.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
What were you smoking when you looked at the samples? They are no better than G7.

And you really think manufactured patches and common autographs (which will comprise 99 out of every 100 boxes) are going to get you to a profit when your cost is 90 per box?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #37 (permalink)

My cost isn't $90 per box, and please, don't order any. Then Topps will lower production, increase hits, and you'll be left wishing you had ordered just like they did with other Star Wars sets.

The samples I have seen so far have all been of an overall higher quality than G7.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #38 (permalink)

The ONLY reason that I will get a case is taking a gamble that production will be cut.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
My cost isn't $90 per box, and please, don't order any. Then Topps will lower production, increase hits, and you'll be left wishing you had ordered just like they did with other Star Wars sets.

The samples I have seen so far have all been of an overall higher quality than G7.
You are selectively looking at the samples then or are not seeing the same ones as I am. If your cost isn't near $90 a box then you are direct with Topps and that would make a difference.

Agree Iggy, and I also think it will be a strong hold and flip as wax since Ford is signing. But breaking it will be a loser if you factor in time spent sorting and returns.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #40 (permalink)

My 2 cents... the signers are OK... it was mentioned on another board that anyone attending a Star Wars Celebration show can count on getting 30-40+ autographs. Why can Topps only muster 16 ? why are half of these repeats ? Stickers? Sketchgraphs are hard signed. Also, to sell me and many others on the sketch cards we need more HIGH-END artists that have not put pen/ink/acrylic to canvas lately.Star Wars is the most watered down sketch market out there. I believe this is the 10th set, including 30th Anniv., in the last 5 years and because of this the majority of sketches have declined in value. Hughes,Vandersteldt,Kayanaan,J Scott Campbell,Murphy, Grove etc etc etc and why not chase other HOT artists like NAR!,Hetrick,O'Connell,Tan,Axebone,ACAR etc etc etc How about those wonderful TOPPS GPk/Wacky Packages ? Manufactured patches? Really?! How about some REAL Star Wars material/prop cards? Marvel seems to give up a few awesome items to much smaller companies.

Anyhoo, I would think barring any real changes, maybe 3 HITS per box would make $1200 a case feasible for most . RANT over ;-)

Last edited by viperdays; 07-02-2012 at 10:41 PM.
viperdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #41 (permalink)

It's interesting reading this discussion and getting people's differing views. I have now had a look at some of the early samples that have been posted, and I don't really think its a step change from G7. What I would say is that there is more colour, which is a step in the right direction I guess.
I honestly don't buy the argument though about maybe getting a shorter run and more hits. I think this will be pretty strict to the two hits per box given the amount of parallels they need to disperse. I could be wrong though.
I do like Topps, and as noted I will be getting a couple of boxes for the base set, but there is just no way I can justify a case. I need to be honest to myself and say firstly what I could do with the additional $1000 if it wasn't spent on trading cards, and secondly what I might be able to buy on the after market for $1000, which I suspect is probably 2-3 very high end sketches or autographs of my choice.
richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdays View Post
My 2 cents... the signers are OK...
OK? You've got the big 3 in this set, the only main (living) actor missing is Anthony Daniels. As a Star Wars fan, there are really only 4-5 people out of that list that I personally wouldn't care for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdays View Post
it was mentioned on another board that anyone attending a Star Wars Celebration show can count on getting 30-40+ autographs. Why can Topps only muster 16 ? why are half of these repeats ? Stickers? Sketchgraphs are hard signed.
If you want 30-40+ autographs, you'll see the list become severely watered down. Then collectors will be complaining about that. Next to the Evolution set, this list is really the cream of the crop, and it's probably a step above with the inclusion of Ford.

Do people really think that Topps doesn't ask folks like Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Natalie Portman to sign? They must either want a ridiculous sum or flat out refuse.

Will it be tough to resell and make a profit off this set? Who knows at this point. But I think at $90-$100 a box, it looks like you'll get your money's worth. I think the manufactured patch cards are neat. Would I rather have an actual screen used prop card? Who wouldn't?! But I think it's cool they're trying something different. I'm honestly more interested in the monster base set.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #43 (permalink)

The base set looks awesome, I might buy my first ever box of Star Wars cards with this set.
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Do people really think that Topps doesn't ask folks like Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, and Natalie Portman to sign? They must either want a ridiculous sum or flat out refuse.
Get Natalie Portman to sign a Star Wars card? You'd have a better chance of buying 10 boxes and pulling 10 Fords!
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #45 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
OK? You've got the big 3 in this set, the only main (living) actor missing is Anthony Daniels. As a Star Wars fan, there are really only 4-5 people out of that list that I personally wouldn't care for.

If you want 30-40+ autographs, you'll see the list become severely watered down.

But I think at $90-$100 a box, it looks like you'll get your money's worth. I think the manufactured patch cards are neat. Would I rather have an actual screen used prop card? Who wouldn't?! But I think it's cool they're trying something different. I'm honestly more interested in the monster base set.
I think he meant "ok" b/c -- let's face it -- you are going to get the same 12 autos over and over and over and over again. You are speaking as a collector and that is great, Ted. But to us dealers who are considering spending thousands on a multi-case break, getting the same autos over and over along with dubious sellers like manufactured patches don't add up to profits. If I were a collector and were chasing a box or two, I'd love it!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I think he meant "ok" b/c -- let's face it -- you are going to get the same 12 autos over and over and over and over again. You are speaking as a collector and that is great, Ted. But to us dealers who are considering spending thousands on a multi-case break, getting the same autos over and over along with dubious sellers like manufactured patches don't add up to profits. If I were a collector and were chasing a box or two, I'd love it!
Thank you for the clarification. Sometimes our meanings are lost in translation. Certainly it is great for the collector but as a dealer who has seen the re-sale value of a Hamill and Fisher continue to tumble it is just OK for me. Ofcourse the FORD is exciting...but I would love to see many different signers and new artists added. Let's face it sketch artists can look to the bay and their commissions to see that the more they do the less willing people are to pay a certain price.
viperdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Gotcha, Tim. I can totally see where a dealer won't be making a killing, but in all honesty, wouldn't 1 Mark Hamill auto do better for a dealer than 15 random Jawa actors? I know that's exaggerated, but it's my logic. Instead of Topps spending the money on more filler, they subscribed to "less is more" and included better quality.

I did start to add to my previous reply about how I know dealers want things to be a certain way to guarantee ROI, but I deleted it because as I'm not a dealer, I don't and probably won't understand that mentality 100%.

I have to tell you I'm really torn between ordering a box of this. The price is high to not get a base set in a single box, but I'm justifying it with what I could probably move the inserts for (unless I pull an auto or sketch I really want to keep). As a dealer, this "breaking even" mentality won't fly. I think I get it better.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

has billie dee williams ever signed for a topps stars wars product?
cause i i have seen some leaf autos

:jedi::jedi::jedi:
natbornkiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #49 (permalink)

One thing that has not been addressed in this thread, and I hope that will change, is that Topps does NOT put sketch cards in the wrappers, so they're so easily searched. That was the stupidest idea I've ever seen. I'm sure some kid complained that his sketch card was damaged, but quite honestly (and if anyone from Topps happens to be reading this) that will lose you more customers than anything else. Knowing a box can be so easily searched is beyond ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
has billie dee williams ever signed for a topps stars wars product?
cause i i have seen some leaf autos
Yes, he signed on card for the first Evolution set but that is the only time. He would be a very welcome addition to this set even if its a sticker. The guy on NSU DID say there are a couple other signers on the fence right now, so who knows maybe we will get another big name.