Blowout Cards Forums
Shop for NFL Draft Class of 2014 Nike Jerseys and New Era Draft Caps at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #26 (permalink)

I was impressed with the opera contingent, some of whom go WAY back. The list includes Jules Benedict, who was Jenny Lind's accompanist on her US tour in 1850. It also includes Luigi Lablache, who gave singing lessons to the young Queen Victoria. Legend has it that his voice was so powerful, he could blow out a candelabra when he sang at full volume!

Among the active singers is Patricia Racette, who's now a major international star. I saw her in a Saturday matinee at the Metropolitan Opera 15 years ago, when she was still an understudy. Just like in the movies, she went on and wowed 'em.

There's a ton of classical/opera cuts I'd be delighted to pull (or purchase).
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
those rappers? WOW... no comment needed.
I picture a rocking chair and cobb pipe, "Dem damn kids and dere rap music!"

Obviously, they either had a certain list in mind or were unable to get certain autos. If you wanted to get crazy, there's a TON of "hip-hop" that could have been included. Afrika Bambaataa, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Puffy, RZA, GZA, ODB, Ghostface, Method Man, Snoop, etc. The list could go on and on and on.

They did get some really cool ones and as far as hip-hop goes, I will be looking for Dre, Eminem, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, and Slick Rick...aside from the 2Pac/Biggie sketches, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
I was impressed with the opera contingent, some of whom go WAY back. The list includes Jules Benedict, who was Jenny Lind's accompanist on her US tour in 1850. It also includes Luigi Lablache, who gave singing lessons to the young Queen Victoria. Legend has it that his voice was so powerful, he could blow out a candelabra when he sang at full volume!

Among the active singers is Patricia Racette, who's now a major international star. I saw her in a Saturday matinee at the Metropolitan Opera 15 years ago, when she was still an understudy. Just like in the movies, she went on and wowed 'em.

There's a ton of classical/opera cuts I'd be delighted to pull (or purchase).
This was the kind of info I was interested in having uncovered. Some details about musical talents that not only myself, but others may also be unfamiliar with. I appreciate it, thank you. This is very cool!

Last edited by YakuzaShoeii; 06-26-2012 at 09:23 PM.
YakuzaShoeii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

Vanilla Ice? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2: Secret of the Ooze era?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMonkey415 View Post
Vanilla Ice? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2: Secret of the Ooze era?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
those rappers? WOW... no comment needed.
Yes, those rappers. I was referring to specific people mentioned.

I just don't like rap, and I don't consider talking fast to be music. Just my opinion. I knew you guys would jump on me, that's why I posted what I did after my comment.

Back to my rocking chair...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post

I just don't like rap, and I don't consider talking fast to be music. Just my opinion. I knew you guys would jump on me, that's why I posted what I did after my comment.

Right with ya Ted - rap music is a paradoxical term - rap is not music.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Hey guys!

If anyone pulls a Glen Phillips or Liz Phair....please let me know! I'm definitely interested!
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Quote:

Wow... keep those comments coming. I do not like rap either but it seems like you hate it. Why, does someone force you to listen to those rappers? #@Saying rap is not music is ignorant. You can say its your opinion but your is opinion is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Right with ya Ted - rap music is a paradoxical term - rap is not music.
again see comment above.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Wow... keep those comments coming. I do not like rap either but it seems like you hate it. Why, does someone force you to listen to those rappers? #@Saying rap is not music is ignorant. You can say its your opinion but your is opinion is wrong.

uh, it's a message board - everything on here is an opinion unless we are talking statistics. do you really think we should stop talking like this:

"The Reds will win the central this year. Joey Votto is having an MVP-like season. The Reds are winning in spite of Dusty Baker. Chapman should be starting."

and start talking like this instead?

"In my opinion, the Reds will win the central this year. In my opinion, Joey Votto is having an MVP-like season. In my opinion, the Reds are winning in spite of Dusty Baker. In my opinion, Chapman should be starting."

Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
uh, it's a message board - everything on here is an opinion unless we are talking statistics. do you really think we should stop talking like this:

"The Reds will win the central this year. Joey Votto is having an MVP-like season. The Reds are winning in spite of Dusty Baker. Chapman should be starting."

and start talking like this instead?

"In my opinion, the Reds will win the central this year. In my opinion, Joey Votto is having an MVP-like season. In my opinion, the Reds are winning in spite of Dusty Baker. In my opinion, Chapman should be starting."

perfect comparison.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, then I hate it. You don't have to be forced into something to dislike it.

I have no doubt that it takes talent to write rhymes and speak them without messing up, but to me that's not music. That's poetry. Being able to project that poetry in melody is music to me.

Quote:
#@Saying rap is not music is ignorant. You can say its your opinion but your is opinion is wrong.
Well said, even if a little ignorant.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

How is Lemmy Kilmister not in the set?
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

i will be looking out for the Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. sketches
baytowntex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc15jrich23 View Post
How is Lemmy Kilmister not in the set?
they probably couldnt find his autograph
baytowntex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #40 (permalink)

This should sum up the conversation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuzaShoeii View Post
As many of you MAY have noticed, the cut-signature checklist for "Famous Fabrics - Music, Music, Music" has finally been released.
I have been over the list a few times and found approximately 150 names that stood out to me immediately. I am curious which names stand out to other people (as I'm sure I've missed a bunch.)
Quote:
Even though nobody has asked me what my opinion on rap music is, I feel the need to let everyone know I am not a fan, regardless. I could have easily left my opinion out of this, however, for the sake of argument I will not only submit this but I will also add a snide emoticon .
Quote:
I also could have left my negative opinion out of this thread, however, RIGHT WITH YA TED!!!! - rap music is a paradoxical term - rap is not music.
You will notice that the title of this thread is not, "Hey, guys! Music, Music, Music is coming out and I'm looking for everyone's individual opinion on which specific genres of music you do not enjoy!" Sooooo, why do you feel the need to state your opinion regarding music you don't like when nobody asked you for such information? Especially the need to be negative about something which people are OBVIOUSLY looking forward to.

Try focusing on things you DO enjoy instead of things you DO NOT enjoy. Also, keep your negative opinions to yourselves. Nobody cares.

BTW either the definition you have for "Paradox" is incorrect or the current Dictionary definition for "Music" is wrong:

Music - mu·sic - [myoo-zik]
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. an art form consisting of sequences of sounds in time, esp tones of definite pitch organized melodically, harmonically, rhythmically and according to tone colour.

...I'm done...can we just talk about the set now!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited by YakuzaShoeii; 06-28-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #41 (permalink)

No Bono

amazing!

Top 10 band lead group etc.. in music history...

geez

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. an art form consisting of sequences of sounds in time, esp tones of definite pitch organized melodically, harmonically, rhythmically and according to tone colour.

...I'm done...can we just talk about the set now!?!?!?!?!?
Well said. I don't like rock and roll... it's all noise. I don't like classical music. It's all screechy opera. I don't like jazz...
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #43 (permalink)

YazukaShoeii - Convenient for you to not misquote yourself.

So this is how you view my posts:
Quote:
Even though nobody has asked me what my opinion on rap music is, I feel the need to let everyone know I am not a fan, regardless. I could have easily left my opinion out of this, however, for the sake of argument I will not only submit this but I will also add a snide emoticon .
So I'm not allowed to defend myself when I'm called ridiculous, ignorant, wrong, and you making fun of me like I'm an old out-of-touch codger. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, and telling me why they feel the way they do (as I have). You can debate something without arguing.

Quote:
You will notice that the title of this thread is not, "Hey, guys! Music, Music, Music is coming out and I'm looking for everyone's individual opinion on which specific genres of music you do not enjoy!" Sooooo, why do you feel the need to state your opinion regarding music you don't like when nobody asked you for such information? Especially the need to be negative about something which people are OBVIOUSLY looking forward to.
So instead of listing 100's of names I'd be interested in, I mentioned the ones I wouldn't care for. And if you read the things I've posted about this set, I'm obviously looking forward to it.

Quote:
Try focusing on things you DO enjoy instead of things you DO NOT enjoy. Also, keep your negative opinions to yourselves. Nobody cares.
Because my opinion differs from yours, I'm negative?

Quote:
None of which define rapping. Melody? Harmony? Speaking does not include those qualities.

OK, the music bed behind the rapping is music, I'll give you that. But talking over the music does not make that voice musical. I like the Doors, but there are times where Jim Morrison is just speaking poetry over the music, and I hate those tracks. In those instances I'd rather just have the music with no vocals.

I'm done, too.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
Tim

[QUOTE=YakuzaShoeii;2890951]

Also, keep your negative opinions to yourselves. Nobody cares.

[QUOTE]

Thanks for the generalization and projection of your own likes/dislikes onto everyone else. If you want all positive comments, go to a Little Mary Sunshine board and leave this one.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
None of which define rapping. Melody? Harmony? Speaking does not include those qualities.

OK, the music bed behind the rapping is music, I'll give you that. But talking over the music does not make that voice musical. I like the Doors, but there are times where Jim Morrison is just speaking poetry over the music, and I hate those tracks. In those instances I'd rather just have the music with no vocals.

I'm done, too.
The issue here is the absolute that rap is not music. It's a tired argument to state that some art form or another is not art. Pop art is not art... it's drawing comics. Clothing design is not art, it's tailoring. Hard rock is not art... they use three chords and it's noise, etc. Is Mongolian throat singing, singing? How about medieval chant which can TRULY have no melody in sections?

Also, you are quite simply wrong about one detail. Just because rap doesn't have a full blown melody, it does not make it talking. Rap DOES have melody in the vocals. Sing some rap right now:

~You mistakin' me for somebody that you should be testing, You should be stressing I'm gonna f___ing teach you a lesson, RAP 101's in session~

Does it sound like normal conversation in rhythm or intonation? No, it sounds like singing. Flat yes, not hummable yes, but it's still singing.

Last edited by Nicnac; 06-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
The issue here is the absolute that rap is not music. It's a tired argument to state that some art form or another is not art. Pop art is not art... it's drawing comics. Clothing design is not art, it's tailoring. Hard rock is not art... they use three chords and it's noise, etc. Is Mongolian throat singing, singing? How about medieval chant which can TRULY have no melody in sections?

Also, you are quite simply wrong about one detail. Just because rap doesn't have a full blown melody, it does not make it talking. Rap DOES have melody in the vocals. Sing some rap right now:

~You mistakin' me for somebody that you should be testing, You should be stressing I'm gonna f___ing teach you a lesson, RAP 101's in session~

Does it sound like normal conversation in rhythm or intonation? No, it sounds like singing. Flat yes, not hummable yes, but it's still singing.
Fair enough, thanks for the well-thought out reply.

I still disagree on some points, but stating them will just brings the wolves back out on me. I will leave this as it stands.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks for the well-thought out reply.

I still disagree on some points, but stating them will just brings the wolves back out on me. I will leave this as it stands.
I wonder if there's any forum where art is off limits like sports and politics LOL.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
I wonder if there's any forum where art is off limits like sports and politics LOL.
The internet would be a boring place.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
The internet would be a boring place.
Are you telling me this is not music?

krispy kreme haters wanna be me - YouTube
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #50 (permalink)

Sade and any of Fleetwood Mac would also be cool. They didn't get Stevie Nicks though (I always picture the South Park episode with "Nicks" lol) They got Stephen Stills and Graham Nash but no David Crosby. Also, nobody from CCR

Last edited by YakuzaShoeii; 06-29-2012 at 05:22 AM.