Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg1980 View Post
Are you telling me this is not music?

krispy kreme haters wanna be me - YouTube
LOL thanks for that... although it might make me revise my stance on rap...

rap = music
redneck spoof rap = hilarious 'music'
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #52 (permalink)

How can they have Lennon and McCartney but not Ringo or Harrison? What a joke
mfisher27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
How can they have Lennon and McCartney but not Ringo or Harrison? What a joke
They're all on the quad cut.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #54 (permalink)

My bad. I didnt see multi cuts. That would be amazing. I can't even begin to describe how awesome that would be to own. Heck, ill settle for just seeing it before it gets buried in someones PC forever.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #55 (permalink)

Wow. My bad indeed, I only saw the OP and thought that was the complete checklist. This makes way more sense.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Fair enough, thanks for the well-thought out reply.

I still disagree on some points, but stating them will just brings the wolves back out on me. I will leave this as it stands.
Nah, you were correct all along.

Rap is not music

Playing instruments (you know, things that take talent to learn and play) together collectively to a beat, THAT's music

Not drum beat computers, and way oversynthesized voice overs and mixing

Flame on
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #57 (permalink)

Wow this is a really cool idea. I'd love to have these ones:

Elvis Presley
Frank Sinatra
Janet Jackson
Luther Vandross
Madonna
Mariah Carey
Michael Jackson
Nat King Cole
Prince
Quincy Jones
Whitney Houston

also I thought that Inspectah Deck was a VERY random add in this set. Yea he's from Wu-Tang but he's not the most popular/accomplished member of the group, hasn't had the solo success of someone like Method Man, as far as rappers go there's hundreds more accomplished. And Matisyahu too, he doesn't belong there imo.
n1nesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmaster View Post
Nah, you were correct all along.

Rap is not music

Playing instruments (you know, things that take talent to learn and play) together collectively to a beat, THAT's music

Not drum beat computers, and way oversynthesized voice overs and mixing

Flame on
the human voice is the most important instrument in all of todays music.. drum machines and synthesizers are also instruments ...
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #59 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I just don't like rap, and I don't consider talking fast to be music. Just my opinion. I knew you guys would jump on me, that's why I posted what I did after my comment.
Rap isn't talking fast lol. The voice has to flow on the beat rhythmically and the words have to be said with conviction and emotion. The lyrics (if the rapper is good), have to be very well thought out with a variety of schemes/stories/topics. People who hate rap and say it isn't music don't understand these concepts. Anyone can say it isn't music until their voice is gone, it doesn't change the fact that it's sold in music outlets, available in various audio formats, is constantly at the top of the billboard charts, is played on hundreds of radio stations, etc.etc.etc...... Let's see some famous musicians who have collaborated with rappers, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Marilyn Manson, Britney Spears, the list goes on.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #60 (permalink)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1nesports View Post
it doesn't change the fact that it's sold in music outlets, available in various audio formats, is constantly at the top of the billboard charts, is played on hundreds of radio stations, etc.etc.etc...... Let's see some famous musicians who have collaborated with rappers, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Marilyn Manson, Britney Spears, the list goes on.
Invalid arguments. Transformers has made millions at the box office - that doesn't make them good movies. Snooki is popular - does she have talent?

top of the billboard charts? lol, that has lost relevance since 1990 when rap emerged. Just like most radio stations have lost relevance.

All those musicians were/are great business people - of course they are collaborating with where the money is at. lol. What does that prove?

coffee is sold at borders - does that make it a book?

whether rap is music or not is strictly an opinion. nicnac's points were solid - i still hate rap but understand his logic. you, on the other hand, do not make very solid points. sorry.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuzaShoeii View Post
Obviously, they either had a certain list in mind or were unable to get certain autos. If you wanted to get crazy, there's a TON of "hip-hop" that could have been included. Afrika Bambaataa, Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Puffy, RZA, GZA, ODB, Ghostface, Method Man, Snoop, etc. The list could go on and on and on.

They did get some really cool ones and as far as hip-hop goes, I will be looking for Dre, Eminem, Inspectah Deck, Raekwon, and Slick Rick...aside from the 2Pac/Biggie sketches, of course.
I wouldn't put ODB up there just for the fact that the guy is dead, or Talib/Mos/Ghostface/Meth.
If I had to pick 10 rap artists, historically that have made the biggest impact on rap music in general I'd pick these 10:
Rakim (most mainstream artists refer to Rakim as their inspiration)
Nas (Illmatic is considered the best rap album of all time by most of the hip hop media)
Big Daddy Kane (same reason as Rakim)
2Pac (his life was cinematic, sold a ridiculous amount of records, died young)
Notorious BIG (one of the most accomplished lyricists before his passing)
Dr. Dre (NWA/Successful solo artist/most sought after producer in the industry)
Eminem (no explanation needed)
Run DMC (made rap really take off in the 80's)
Sugarhill Gang (creators of the first rap record released to the masses)
Jay-Z (mainstream golden boy)
Old 06-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Invalid arguments. Transformers has made millions at the box office - that doesn't make them good movies. Snooki is popular - does she have talent?

top of the billboard charts? lol, that has lost relevance since 1990 when rap emerged. Just like most radio stations have lost relevance.

All those musicians were/are great business people - of course they are collaborating with where the money is at. lol. What does that prove?

coffee is sold at borders - does that make it a book?

whether rap is music or not is strictly an opinion. nicnac's points were solid - i still hate rap but understand his logic. you, on the other hand, do not make very solid points. sorry.
"Invalid arguments" is not a bullet-proof statement that makes you right, you're not.
Nobody is saying anything about GOOD, that's subjective. We aren't talking about whether rap is good or bad.
You run around every point I make by focusing on one piece of the puzzle. Rap is music, love it or hate it. Snooki may not be talented to me, but she's still a celebrity. I don't care about billboards relevance to you, I'm stating the various places that house rap as music, because it is. Cry all you want about it, it's always going to be here and it's always going to be considered music by organizations that matter, not opinions of single people who hate it lol.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #63 (permalink)

these guys are just jealous of rappers..haha .. im an audio engineer and i know what music is... i am in fact open to all music genres
Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #64 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Jackg1980

Saying rap is not music is like saying the earth is flat. It is an ignorant statement that festers from deep inside. Krispi Kreme and Money Maker Mike should be in this set.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #65 (permalink)

does anyone know an estimate on how much the fab four autograph will sell for?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #66 (permalink)

Interesting debate on the rap subject. Having been in many bands in my younger days, I am NOT a fan as I appreciate people playing actual instruments (sorry, a drum machine is NOT an instrument...it is a bad replacement for one) that could actually be played live without having tons of computers and other equipment. I will definately give the synthesizer it's place as an instrument because someone actually has to play it (to ignote that would be saying that Herbie Hancock is not a musician, which I would have a serious issue with).

I would classify rap as a musical genre but IMO it pales in comparison to Rock, Blues, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Disco, R&B, Hip Hop, Regae, Ska, Blugrass, Country, Grunge, Punk and the like. I always subscribed to the George Clinton theory of "if you need more sound, add more musicians" as it was not uncommon for Funkadelic to have 20-30 people onstage playing actual instruments.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Interesting debate on the rap subject. Having been in many bands in my younger days, I am NOT a fan as I appreciate people playing actual instruments (sorry, a drum machine is NOT an instrument...it is a bad replacement for one) that could actually be played live without having tons of computers and other equipment. I will definately give the synthesizer it's place as an instrument because someone actually has to play it (to ignote that would be saying that Herbie Hancock is not a musician, which I would have a serious issue with).

I would classify rap as a musical genre but IMO it pales in comparison to Rock, Blues, Jazz, Soul, Funk, Disco, R&B, Hip Hop, Regae, Ska, Blugrass, Country, Grunge, Punk and the like. I always subscribed to the George Clinton theory of "if you need more sound, add more musicians" as it was not uncommon for Funkadelic to have 20-30 people onstage playing actual instruments.
A drum machine is an electronic musical instrument. I don't disagree that rap is nowhere near some of the genres you listed. In the end if someone likes the way the music sounds, that's all that really matters.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #68 (permalink)

A drum machine is as much of a musical instrument as one of those paper guitars that generate different notes when you activate it. Kinda like a turntable, while it can make interesting sound drops, it is NOT a musical instrument. It simply plays songs or portions of songs recorded by people before you. You wouldn't consider a DJ a musician, would you?

You want a drum sound? Hire a fricking drummer.

Last edited by Igman7; 06-29-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
A drum machine is as much of a musical instrument as one of those paper guitars that generate different notes when you activate it. Kinda like a turntable, while it can make interesting sound drops, it is NOT a musical instrument. It simply plays songs or portions of songs recorded by people before you. You wouldn't consider a DJ a musician, would you?

That's not how all drum machines work, samplers do that. I said a drum machine is an "electronic musical instrument", not a musical instrument. And there are rappers who do/have used live bands. I'll name a few: The Roots/Necro/Jay-Z/Benzino.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:

yes a dj would be considered a musician, anyone that works with music on such a level would be considered a musician.. probably not as talented as other but yes..i do not play any instruments but yes, i am a musician, since i am in tune on such a level,
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #71 (permalink)

Um, I'm sure there are music forums you all can join.... lol
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #72 (permalink)

oh another black vs white fight

grabs popcorn.

http://kobebryantautograph.weebly.com/
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #73 (permalink)

I would be tickled pink to pull

B. B. King
Billy Joel
Buddy Holly
Dolly Parton
Elton John
Hank Williams Jr.
Linda Ronstadt
Lindsey Buckingham
Martina McBride
Olivia Newton-John
Pat Benatar
Paul Simon
Prince
Ray Charles
Steve Martin
Tina Turner

and would S a Brick if I pulled one of these

Elvis Presley
Frank Zappa
Freddie Mercury
Janis Joplin
Johnny Cash
John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
Um, I'm sure there are music forums you all can join.... lol
we are arguing about a trading card set first... well, at least that's how it started. But someone always has to bring up the 'rap sucks' topic...
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #75 (permalink)

...this has officially gone from ridiculous ----> sad. This was supposed to be about the cards.

.....who cares!?!

Last edited by YakuzaShoeii; 06-30-2012 at 09:29 AM.
YakuzaShoeii is offline   Reply With Quote