Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Case breaks?

Need opinions on the best chance at a good money return looking for 60 percent or higher return with a chance at getting something good. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
letsgohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would suggest researching the products and doing the homework yourself. You know how most of us have a clue on what to buy and flip, by losing money on products in the past and learning from it. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of people who just want to pop in and be told where to invest their money.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Rant

Oh I invest about 2-4k a month on cases and sell between 25-30k a year but I'm was speaking solely on the non-sport items. I am not familiar enough with these products love the sketches just wanted a few opinions... Thought thats what these boards were all about...

Last edited by letsgohawks; 07-28-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: ....
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Walking dead season 2 if you can get any...
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Default Thank you

Thanka I appreciate you're input! My normal supplier has it.. I'm willing to win or lose on breaks just wanted good input. Ill pick up a few cases Tuesday hopefully he will have series 2 on time. I'm going to to try a couple series 1 as well

Last edited by letsgohawks; 07-28-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol Iggy.

Do you mostly buy sports stuff or what? And I agree, WDS2.
Cujobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the new Mars Attacks is a good investment. The gold parallels, sketches, printing plates all sell very well. If you hit a nice sketch in a case I think you can easily double your money off a case. Also, I agree can't go wrong with TWD.
HoopsieDoopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
I would suggest researching the products and doing the homework yourself. You know how most of us have a clue on what to buy and flip, by losing money on products in the past and learning from it. Sorry for the rant, but I am sick of people who just want to pop in and be told where to invest their money.
You should have told him to go all in on Music Music Music...
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

...or whatever is next from Famous Fabrics.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

I actually like FF's offerings, but yeah, they hold their value the way a sieve holds water....
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
You should have told him to go all in on Music Music Music...
Quote:
...or whatever is next from Famous Fabrics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aces View Post
I actually like FF's offerings, but yeah, they hold their value the way a sieve holds water....
FF haters are like Apple haters. Can't let a thread pass by without getting some digs in.

Truth is, the VAST majority of trading cards lose value over time. Check any sports, most Trek issues, Thor, Captain America and so on.

Last edited by Nicnac; 07-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess "over time" means as soon as the product hits the streets for some products. There are just an overwhelming percentage from this certain producer that do exactly that.

Yes, there are a few winners with products like Musicx3, but when the "average" box that costs $165 yields $40-$60 worth of cards, you can definately count me in as a hater.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'm more of a collector than a seller, and I like the Famous Fabrics stuff. Of course, I end up talking myself into dumping what I pull when it's not someone I like, but I do enjoy the thrill of slowly opening that box... Of course, I play the lottery also!

That being said, there's no way I'd consider a Famous Fabrics purchase an investment. Unless your idea of investing is a trip to Vegas.

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgohawks View Post
Need opinions on the best chance at a good money return looking for 60 percent or higher return with a chance at getting something good. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
It depends. What kind of non-sports are you looking at? Sketch cards? Autographs? Tv shows versus movies? Sci-fi versus more main-stream popular shows? There's products that will fit each of these niches. My advice would be to choose something you like. If you like Walking Dead, then go for it. I do think S2 will be big like S1, so if you can get a good price on boxes/cases, then you should do it. But maybe more so to resell sealed versus rip + flip. And I would caution you about buying any S1 boxes, they have gone up so much, you will need some luck to break even.

If you're just wanting to get into non-sports since you see a lot of others on BO busting it and thinking it's easy money, my advice would be to stick with sportscards. Since the cards a lot of times sell very differently than sportscards. If you are in a rush to get your stuff listed as quickly as possible as 1 day auctions starting at $0.99, most likely you will be dissapointed in the results.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BluesBroSJ

Benchwarmers

I'll let you know when I lose money on a case break, it hasn't happened yet.
BluesBroSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess "over time" means as soon as the product hits the streets for some products. There are just an overwhelming percentage from this certain producer that do exactly that.

Yes, there are a few winners with products like Musicx3, but when the "average" box that costs $165 yields $40-$60 worth of cards, you can definately count me in as a hater.
Yah okay. The same old tired arguments when Horrors of War was coming out. It's a matter of scale. A pack of Thor cost $3? You were overwhelmingly likely to get 25c of cards out of that pack. Probably not even that much. A box was $60 on release? Or what it $85? Now? $16. Neither this nor Captain America are particularly ancient. I can say the same for most Topps products.

You use Music as the current example and I don't dispute it. I dispute singling out then entire product of Famous Fabrics, when, as I said before, the vast majority of trading card products lose value 'over time'.

Horrors seems to have defied all the haters judging by base card prices on feebay. 1600 Penn Ave, the same.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathgate View Post
Unless your idea of investing is a trip to Vegas.
Welcome to collecting cards, that's what every "investment" in this hobby is when you purchase unopened product.

You want to invest in cards? Invest in high-grade vintage, not cases.