Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Garbage Pail Kids

As anyone busted GPK in bulk? Either the recent Flashbacks or the ANS sets from a few years ago. With the new set coming out in a month or so, I Was wondering how this does as a rip and flip.
rockholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I busted cases of FB1 and 2, being a huge collector of all things GPK... As a collector, I hated it; no sketches, three gold cards, several inserts for $300+. You'll likely get 8 full base sets ($10-ish), a one in three chance of a sketch card ($50-500 value; likely $100-$150), a few golds ($20-ish each), and misc. inserts (probably $30-50 total). That said, this was before the onslaught of GPK items. Interest has waned in the community.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did FB 3 last year and did very well. I didn't even get a plate but got an Adam bomb gold which went for $100 plus a sketch at $75 plus tons of silver, green, and pink parallels. They loaded hobby this year so should be a good flip
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

boxes of fb 1 and 2 are selling for pretty good profit. not long ago boxes of fb one was going for about 140 a box. the new series coming out next week could be garbage. the preview images i have seen have not been very good. topps claims that they were going back to the original style of gpk art, after seeing the sample images they are lying.
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did 10 cases of FB 3 last year. I did very well on the break.

I'm doing 15 cases of BNS1 this year, so next week should be fun!
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
boxes of fb 1 and 2 are selling for pretty good profit. not long ago boxes of fb one was going for about 140 a box. the new series coming out next week could be garbage. the preview images i have seen have not been very good. topps claims that they were going back to the original style of gpk art, after seeing the sample images they are lying.
Maybe so but there are a ton of chase cards in this. The plates bring nice money and they are hobby only. They also added in a black parallel, which gives a 3rd parallel set for people to fill. The resell market should be strong.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 711 Cards View Post
Maybe so but there are a ton of chase cards in this. The plates bring nice money and they are hobby only. They also added in a black parallel, which gives a 3rd parallel set for people to fill. The resell market should be strong.
it wont really matter too much on whatever rare cards you get, if the art is poor. tha hardcore gpk fans wont be buying much of this at all if the art is not like the original gpk's . if you check some of the gpk forums that is the main thing right now. everyone is extremely unhappy with the sample art they have seen so far.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just pre-ordered a case. I loved GPK back in the day, more than sports cards
Old 10-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

i loved them too . they take me back to my childhood. but the only god ones are the early series done by the good artists. some of these new artists they have working on them suck realy bad. also i heard that some time ago topps lost a battle in court with the makers of cabbage patch kids. they said that the faces being used in gpk were too similar the cpk . which is why alot of the art doesnt look like original gpk
Old 10-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
it wont really matter too much on whatever rare cards you get, if the art is poor. tha hardcore gpk fans wont be buying much of this at all if the art is not like the original gpk's . if you check some of the gpk forums that is the main thing right now. everyone is extremely unhappy with the sample art they have seen so far.
What forums? The ones I've seen are all foaming at the mouth for this to come out
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

yeah the faces are a little different this year which is an uproar with die hard collectors but theres nothing they can really do. i think i read about the rounding of their faces.
pickle86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
What forums? The ones I've seen are all foaming at the mouth for this to come out
Underground's OGs are displeased, myself included. The noobs are eating it up, though.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle86 View Post
yeah the faces are a little different this year which is an uproar with die hard collectors but theres nothing they can really do. i think i read about the rounding of their faces.
not just this year. they have sucked for a long time . i bought a ton of the flashback series. it was kind of like gpk heritage. i was able to get all the gpk's i grew up collecting, reprints......... but i dont care
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Displeased about what? Everything I saw on underground is excitement. It is new artwork and new cards. Do you want them to put out the same set every year? Change is good.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Displeased about what? Everything I saw on underground is excitement. It is new artwork and new cards. Do you want them to put out the same set every year? Change is good.
The artwork is terrible. I'd rather not have new cards than have bad ones. OGs feel the same. Would you want your favorite band to release new music if it sounded like Lady Gaga or Maroon 5 or whatever you hate? What if the new Judas Priest album sounded like the Eagles, or vice versa? Some things are better left alone than defiled.

Also, the reason you only saw excitement is the long-timers have no interest in the new product. You're seein' the new kiddos to the boards gearing up for the release--which is good. The more members, the merrier, but they're not the nucleus of the UG for the past decade and thus no one I'd associate as the sum of the whole, personally.

Last edited by Zoop; 10-08-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
The artwork is terrible. I'd rather not have new cards than have bad ones. OGs feel the same. Would you want your favorite band to release new music if it sounded like Lady Gaga or Maroon 5 or whatever you hate? What if the new Judas Priest album sounded like the Eagles, or vice versa? Some things are better left alone than defiled.

Also, the reason you only saw excitement is the long-timers have no interest in the new product. You're seein' the new kiddos to the boards gearing up for the release--which is good. The more members, the merrier, but they're not the nucleus of the UG for the past decade and thus no one I'd associate as the sum of the whole, personally.
I do hate the eagles, so I get your point. However your nucleus has probably gotten smaller over the years and there is a new generation of collectors and fans that are joining your site as well as others.

From a sales stand point GPK is always a hit and always a seller. I have already pre sold multiple cases and sets. These may not be the hardcore 80's collectors buying them, but there are people who are long time GPK collectors very engaged and eager.

I cannot comment on the artwork, I will just respect your opinion on that. For me, I was just gauging the market interest on sales activity and comments I read.....I certainly appreciate the dialogue though.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

This is an interesting conversation. I mean, I love old Metallica (Ride the Lightning etc.) - but put in anything new and I cringe. However, those "newer" albums still did very well and many people still enjoy them.

I do see some of the "OG" collectors not carrying for the new cards - at the same time I see some of them enjoying it. GPK is amazing and it's been able to consume collectors over time. The OG collectors who don't enjoy the new artwork can rightfully not collect it - however there will be a new collector to replace them for new products.

I have also pre-sold a lot of sets, either the same as FB3 or right at the same amount. When I went back to the distributors to see if I could get any more cases - they were out of product and Topps was also sold out.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I liked how GPK looks for this release and going to take a gamble on a case. Really can't go wrong at the price. How many sets does a case normally produce?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

With PERFECT collation,12 - but 10 seems more reasonable.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
With PERFECT collation,12 - but 10 seems more reasonable.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

I think a huge thing is that Topps had kicked most artists to the curb who "got it." Luis Diaz was the best since Pound and they cracked the whip on him. Disrespecting the artists who care is the equivalent of spitting on the fans, in my opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

my expectations for this set was very low . after seeing some of the breaks i can still say the art is not as good as the original gpk's i grew up with . but some of the art is actualy pretty good. the ideas are funny and interesting . the motion cards are nice . there are still some pretty bad subjects in the set. but i think over all i will be pretty happy with it. i went ahead and got myself a case .

i think anyone that expects the art to be as good as the early stuff, will be terribly dissapointed . its just not going to happen .
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

Does anyone know the sketch card odds on the hobby release of the new GPK series that came out this week?
buckycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Probably 1:450-ish packs. They're never different.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoop View Post
Probably 1:450-ish packs. They're never different.
I thought since there are a few hobby exclusives in this set unlike the last FB retail packs that were identical to the hobby there might be differant odds for hobby packs compared to retail packs on sketches.
Hopefully someone that has opened hobby packs today can give an answer.
buckycap is offline   Reply With Quote