Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sports to Non-Sports?

I'm not a collector, but I really enjoy opening cards. So, I sell pretty much everything I open, so I can buy more stuff to open

I'm really finding the value part of the equation difficult to do this in the sports card arena with all the different products that are produced now. The best values are probably the core Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft baseball products, but they are kind of boring to open once you do a few boxes IMO.

I've been looking more at the non-sports cards lately and it seems like there are a lot of interesting products out there. I know that there are big duds, just like with sports cards, but I was wondering if anyone who has switched over has found that in general the value is better for rip and flipping? I'm not looking to make a profit; I'm just looking not to get killed on every break.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just started ripping nonsports, I think the value tends to be better. For example, I have never lost much money ripping 5finity products, and I usually make some. I just ripped a bunch of Viceroy, we will see what the ROI is for this product.
wesnilevirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

As with sports, of course, you need to pick your products carefully. Yes, it's easy to get burned on non-sports as well, but it's also easier in many ways to pick winners by considering the property, and then the contents of the release.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

what is ripping and flipping ???
rip+flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I only do non-sports and comics now
Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

My mermaid Viceroy card was sold for $34 so that is pretty cool.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I'm not a collector, but I really enjoy opening cards. So, I sell pretty much everything I open, so I can buy more stuff to open

I'm really finding the value part of the equation difficult to do this in the sports card arena with all the different products that are produced now. The best values are probably the core Bowman, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman Draft baseball products, but they are kind of boring to open once you do a few boxes IMO.

I've been looking more at the non-sports cards lately and it seems like there are a lot of interesting products out there. I know that there are big duds, just like with sports cards, but I was wondering if anyone who has switched over has found that in general the value is better for rip and flipping? I'm not looking to make a profit; I'm just looking not to get killed on every break.

Thanks
certain shows tended to do very well....benchwarmers also do very well
Dacubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback

I ordered 3 cases of stuff I've had my eye on--this one is aimed more towards a pure fun break rather than one I hope to do very well on.

I've got 1 case of Mars Attacks and 2 cases of the retail American Heritage on the way. Should be here tomorrow! One of the perks of living in VA--I just consider the sales tax an overnight fee
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback

I ordered 3 cases of stuff I've had my eye on--this one is aimed more towards a pure fun break rather than one I hope to do very well on.

I've got 1 case of Mars Attacks and 2 cases of the retail American Heritage on the way. Should be here tomorrow! One of the perks of living in VA--I just consider the sales tax an overnight fee
Which American Heritage?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Which American Heritage?
This one (looks like that's 2008): Topps American Heritage Retail 8 Box Case - $409.95 : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store (was a bit cheaper yesterday)

I also picked up a hobby case of this today from another place: Topps American Heritage - American Heroes Ed Hobby 12 Box Case : Blowout Cards - Sports Cards and Trading Cards Wholesale Online Store
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like Mars. Maybe do another case soon but I need to sell all the stuff I have been breaking. They are all unsorted and sitting in boxes all over the house. Wife not too happy. I should be sorting on Sundays while watching football but just could never get into it.
Sushiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

so like The Walking Dead? I love TWD cards as well as my kids.
Texas Brave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Brave13 View Post
so like The Walking Dead? I love TWD cards as well as my kids.
Yep--I've got 7 Season 2 boxes pre-ordered. I guess it's still questionable how many I actually end up with, but I bought from 3 different eBay sellers so I'm hoping at least one of them comes through.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Please keep me in mind if you pull any war relics from the Heritage Heroes case.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip+flip View Post
what is ripping and flipping ???
"Ripping" - Opening the packs
and
"Flipping" - selling the cards individually (hopefully) for more than you paid for the pack (sorta like: Flipping a house)

Last edited by bern024; 10-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
bern024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

Topps Allen & Ginter is a great combination of sport and non-sport
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

There's always kids buying those magic cards at my LCS... There might be $ in those.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
There's always kids buying those magic cards at my LCS... There might be $ in those.
Yeah, I've been thinking about those for sure since the cases aren't too pricey, but I just don't know enough about them to know what to get or when best to get them. Seems like there are a lot of sets out there and I'm not really sure if it's like other hobbies where people buy all of them or if they just buy the latest stuff. It's on my list to do next year
Old 10-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

the other good thing about going for some non-sports cards is it can be a lot more fun opening up a product like from a TV show that you are familiar with even more than a basic sportscard product.
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwal View Post
the other good thing about going for some non-sports cards is it can be a lot more fun opening up a product like from a TV show that you are familiar with even more than a basic sportscard product.
I've got to say, since I switched up I've enjoyed these breaks more than any sports cards break I did outside of A&G.

So far I've opened Mars Attack, American Heritage (08 & 09), 2011 Americana, and Garbage Pail Kids--all have been a ton of fun and while I haven't sold everything yet, the potential return looks really good.

I'm sold on non-sports going forward
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #21 (permalink)

monkey see monkey do... I'm going to copy you.