Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1 Card - White Whale Mail Day

I've been searching for the longest time for one of these and I'm so thrilled to have picked one up.

lane121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Whoa. Nice!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lane,
I don't want to burst your bubble, and this is a caution only.

Recently there have been a LOT of fakes in the non sport community. It's becoming harder and harder to detect. I have been buying and selling non sports since the first Inkworks Tomb Raider set, and some of the ones I have seen in person even I cannot detect.

One of the trends I have seen happening is the fakes being sent to Beckett to be graded. This gives people more security that they are real, but in reality Beckett doesn't look for this when grading non sports cards. In the past few months more and more of these fakes have been popping up graded than raw.

Just a warning to be very cautious when buying graded non sports. Again, this is just a warning and I am not saying this one is fake. High $$ Topps cards especially are the ones being counterfeited due to their lack of any foil/embossing/watermark like some of the other non sports companies do.

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 10-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Bryanjs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

nice lane! wow, $-D

Last edited by SerialKilnWalkr; 10-15-2012 at 06:20 PM.
SerialKilnWalkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys!!

Bryan I had no idea there could be fakes out there. I was pretty confident this was the real deal. Is there any way to detect if they are fake or not?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Actually, here's a pic of one from a break in 2005. This is from nonsportsforum. A 4 box break in June of 2005. You can judge for yourself the difference in appearance of the signatures...

Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic, but now I'm worried mine might not be real. Should I bust it out of the case and have a closer look? I was debating busting it out any way. I don't really like BGS cases.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
Actually, here's a pic of one from a break in 2005. This is from nonsportsforum. A 4 box break in June of 2005. You can judge for yourself the difference in appearance of the signatures...

One of these things is not like the other....
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

From my experience searching for some Oldman HP autos; his IP signatures look more like the slabbed cards auto.
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

I appreciate the help guys. Do y'all think it is real?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Lane, it is SO hard to tell, even when you bust it out of the case. You have to look at the ink, you have to look for pressure marks where he starts and stops writing, you have to look at the thickness of the card, the gloss finish on the back....its just so tough. I spoke with a couple dealers this past year at Comic Con about it and showed them some samples and they were blown away. It is becoming so hard to detect.

If you do break it out of the case add some high def scans here and I will look at it more closely, also scan the back of the card (even in the case) so I can compare it. Also a scan of a close up of just the signature would help. I have a Cillian Murphy that I pulled myself from a case years ago, so I can use that to compare the actual card stock to. Don't fret about the autograph being different, he has a very sloppy autograph that changes a lot, if you look up his Harry Potter autographs you'll see it isn't super consistent.

Also its hard to tell in your scan, because the focus in the scan is on the case and not on the card...is there bubbling in the ink of the signature?

Last edited by Bryanjs14; 10-16-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

There is bubbling in the ink of the signature. I will add some additional scans of the back for you. Thank you.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

That is a good sign, as every autograph in this set either had bubbling, fading, or both.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Here are some pics with my phone. It's tough to get a good picture with the BGS case though.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

If that thing isn't legit, it's damn good. I've always thought the microprint, such as the 'R' for registered trademark after the Topps logo on the reverse would be blurred or difficult to read. That looks clean to me.

Also, here are other pics from non-sports site breaks of some of his harry potter signatures. At this point, I knew nothing about Oldman signatures until this thread. Now, I know I'll never own one. He's all over the place. How someone could figure out what is legit and what is not is beyond me. His letter formations have zero consistency.

I hope the one you have is the real deal, because it's a hell of a nice card.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
If that thing isn't legit, it's damn good. I've always thought the microprint, such as the 'R' for registered trademark after the Topps logo on the reverse would be blurred or difficult to read. That looks clean to me.

Also, here are other pics from non-sports site breaks of some of his harry potter signatures. At this point, I knew nothing about Oldman signatures until this thread. Now, I know I'll never own one. He's all over the place. How someone could figure out what is legit and what is not is beyond me. His letter formations have zero consistency.

I hope the one you have is the real deal, because it's a hell of a nice card.
His signature itself isn't how you determine if it is real or not. Its the ink, the pressure points of his signature, the card stock, lots of other factors you look at.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #17 (permalink)

Looking over your scans def help lean me towards the real side. Still hard to see, but I think I can make out some ink pressure points in the right places, and the back looks correct compared to the Murphy that I have here.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm glad to hear that you think it's real. I was really worried it would turn out to be a fake. Thank you for all the help!