Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stamp Collection Find, any experts around?

Good evening all. Long story short I came across a fairly substantial stamp collection. Not sure of the ERA of most of them, but there are a ton of 4 cent stamps, along with old school air mail stamps, etc etc etc. They are each in wax envelopes, and in excellent condition from what I can see. It also appears they are all un-used stamps.

I also noted that there was an invoice for almost $500 in the lot, and that was well over 20 years ago.

So with that being said. Are there any experts around that can help me? I do appreciate it.

Here are a few TERRIBLE scans of about 5% of the collection.

Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Doesn't look like anything too scarce. You can always use them for postage.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah a bunch of common plate blocks really. Some US air mail stamps can be valuable, like any 'Graf Zeppelin' of of course, the bi-plane 2 color versions(hey if you have one with an upside-down airplane(inverted jenny) on it I'll give you a million or so for it!)
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

What is the inverted Jenny?

Yeah, those are about 5% of the collection, no clue if they are all totally worthless or not
Ballerskrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

No, I'm not an expert. But I did used to collect stamps as a kid and recently I went back and looked at my sorry collection. I found one site that helped me establish that my collection was indeed worthy of giving away and that was the Swedish Tiger. For example, I see a 1948 3c Mississippi block of four on that first image upper right. Click on 1948 on Swedish Tiger and see that they're worth under a dollar in mint condition. Considering they printed 122 million of those stamps, I'd say that's an optimistic price.

Sadly, the Wisconsin block to the left of that is in the same boat price wise and had 64 million printed. The American Turners stamp to the left of that is, again, worth maybe two quarters.

Sorry man, I don't want to give you false hope but there could be something worth $5 maybe $10 in there? And then if you had a block of them ... well, that'd be pretty cool but also you could make more money working at McDonalds for the time it takes you to look all these up :-)

Beautiful looking stamps though! I like how you have a wide range of colors -- maybe if you figured out a safe way to mount them cheaply you could make a collage of them to put on a wall somewhere?

Hey, you're showing us 80 stamps and you say that's five percent of the collection? So that's 1600 stamps at, let's say conservatively it averages a quarter a stamp, that's four hundred bucks!

Last edited by eldavojohn; 11-30-2012 at 08:00 AM.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

As with many genres of collectibles, the valuable items may not stand out to the unknowing eye. You can research this two ways, glance through price guides and see if any high value stamps in there look familiar. Or, look for every stamp on feebay and see the sold for prices.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Unhappy

You are better off using it as postage.
katzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzky View Post
You are better off using it as postage.
A stamp dealer would say the same thing. If you really wanted cash, he'd give you about 70-75 cents on the dollar.
aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, stamps really lost favor over the years. Putting the time in, just in case, is worth it. I use Craigslist with pretty good success. Maybe you'll do well too.
Eskimokissers is offline   Reply With Quote