Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #176 (permalink)

Whoa. Cool. Those were retail pulls too. Toughies.

And I don't even have my returns back.

jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #177 (permalink)

Finally got all my stuff on SketchCollectors

I know PhotoBucket is kind of a pain to navigate. SC gives you a few filter options, if you roll that way.

Check out my collection here: SketchCollectors.com: Everything Sketch Cards
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #178 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Finally got all my stuff on SketchCollectors

I know PhotoBucket is kind of a pain to navigate. SC gives you a few filter options, if you roll that way.

Check out my collection here: SketchCollectors.com: Everything Sketch Cards
Awesome collection Monkeymcgee! I see a few cards I'd love to get my hands on lol
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #179 (permalink)

jeez I can't believe you already have more than double the cards I do!!! its that marvel premier addiction
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #180 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Awesome collection Monkeymcgee! I see a few cards I'd love to get my hands on lol
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
jeez I can't believe you already have more than double the cards I do!!! its that marvel premier addiction
Yeah, you're right Thanks to the SketchCollector filters, I see I have 180 Premier sketches (although some of the hinged ones are being counted twice, but I only have a few of those).
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #181 (permalink)

Well I've got more comic book covers than you, so HA!
Comic Art Fans(and one on the way... allegedly)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #182 (permalink)

Well, being a n00b at this stuff still, I make some dumb purchases every so often. I had a couple this week (although these were paid for with eBay Bucks, so that softens the blow a little). I'm sharing this info to help the rest of you newer collectors out

First up is this Charles Hall "PSC":

Not being super-familiar with the comic cards from the past, I didn't realize when I was bidding on it that Charles had just painted this card (I found out when it arrived and the back of his PSC was obviously a RA trading card):

To be clear, I'm not blaming Charles. Looking back at it he said he just did oils over pre-penciled drawings, so I should have done more research at that point. This was definitely on me and thankfully I didn't pay all that much for it.

Second up is this Larry Welz "Cherry" card:

I made a low serious offer to see what the seller's real price was without trying to insult him since the BIN was pretty high. He took my offer. I thought that was weird. So I hit up another Cherry collector and learned I had just paid over 3x what this guy paid for a Larry Welz PSC that he sells on his online store.

My mistake was seeing the Cherry logo in the bottom right corner and thinking this was from 5finity. Nope--the larger logo is what Larry uses for his PSCs. Live and learn. I still like it because it reminds me of the skater girl from the "Free Fallin' " video

Now onto my regular pulls:

Jon Racimo

Mary Bellamy (the banana cracks me up)

Charles Hall (I'm not crazy about this one, but the seller kept dropping and dropping the BIN price. I took a flyer on a $50 offer and he took it)
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #183 (permalink)

You can't beat a Charles Hall for $50! Nice pickups!
Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #184 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing Monkey. As you know, I've only been collecting about 9 months now and I think there are a handful of people on Blowout that have been collecting for less time than either of us. These are great things to keep an eye out for. Right verses wrong is irrelevant, at the end of the day it sucks to receive something that wasn't what you expected.

I looked back at Hall's recent completed listings, and it looks like something he has been doing relatively frequently lately. Personally, I think that "preprinted pencils" is a bit of a stretch description for a Rittenhouse trading card. My immediate thought would be an original penciled piece by the artist that was then scanned and blue-lined in preparation for inking/coloring. On the other hand, it does look like its still a pretty sweet painted piece... Does it look amazing in hand? How does it compare to your other Halls?

As for the Cherry... I personally find that type of behavior very dirty. I'm not going to start an argument about what people should or shouldn't do with stuff they buy. You buy it, do what you want. This is all about INTENT. The artist is trying to provide original artwork at a price that any of his fans could afford. Some individual(s) buy up that artwork for the sole intent of reselling it for a profit. They are disrespecting the artist and taking advantage of the fans. Pure greed. Sickening.

Oh crap... I seem to have misplaced my soap box. Gotta go look for it...
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
You can't beat a Charles Hall for $50! Nice pickups!
Thanks--yeah, for an official release card I couldn't pass that up

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Monkey. As you know, I've only been collecting about 9 months now and I think there are a handful of people on Blowout that have been collecting for less time than either of us. These are great things to keep an eye out for. Right verses wrong is irrelevant, at the end of the day it sucks to receive something that wasn't what you expected.

I looked back at Hall's recent completed listings, and it looks like something he has been doing relatively frequently lately. Personally, I think that "preprinted pencils" is a bit of a stretch description for a Rittenhouse trading card. My immediate thought would be an original penciled piece by the artist that was then scanned and blue-lined in preparation for inking/coloring. On the other hand, it does look like its still a pretty sweet painted piece... Does it look amazing in hand? How does it compare to your other Halls?

As for the Cherry... I personally find that type of behavior very dirty. I'm not going to start an argument about what people should or shouldn't do with stuff they buy. You buy it, do what you want. This is all about INTENT. The artist is trying to provide original artwork at a price that any of his fans could afford. Some individual(s) buy up that artwork for the sole intent of reselling it for a profit. They are disrespecting the artist and taking advantage of the fans. Pure greed. Sickening.

Oh crap... I seem to have misplaced my soap box. Gotta go look for it...
Re: The Hall Card

Yeah, I don't want to call him out or anything, but I think he could have been a little more transparent about what the card was. At least I paid about half of what that other one went for--I wonder if that buyer knew what they were getting?

The card itself is nice--he did a great job as usual with the coloring and light effects. But I think we can all agree that this is true : RA base card with painted highlights by Charles Hall < original card penciled and colored by Charles Hall. To me, "PSC" means the latter.

Re: Cherry

In another life, I flipped sports cards. I understand that mentality, but I think as a non-sports flipper you've got to realize this community is a little different. You're right that Welz is under-pricing those PSCs and this guy took advantage of the situation. I'm sure other collectors have noticed that and I know I won't buy any other Welz's PSCs from that seller.

So, maybe you make a nice profit the first time around, but I'm sure collectors will be not so excited to reward that type of activity and Welz himself may be hesitant to offer any other PSCs at that price (or limit how many you can buy).
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #186 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if that buyer knew what they were getting?
All of the listings have been on the up and up if you read them closely, but my guess is that neither of the two previous buyers of the Hall painted RA cards OR the multiple previous buyers of the LW Cherry PSCs realized what they had purchased until they received them.

One time I saw an artist listed sketch card for a price that I thought was to good to be true. I messaged the artist/seller to confirm that it was an original sketch card and not a print/reproduction. His response was very defensive "I'm not doing anything wrong." I told him that even though it is original (i.e., he created the artwork), it is misleading to not state clearly in his listing that what he is selling is a limited print/reproduction of an original piece verses the original piece itself.

Anyway... I hope a lot of people read this thread and pay better attention to what they bid on because of it. There are plenty of honest sellers, whether they be artists, collectors, flippers, or straight rip-n-flip dealers that will suffer because of these antics.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #187 (permalink)

Well, in contrast to the last mailday post, this one has some sketches that far exceeded my expectations

First up is the best $100 I have spent in this hobby. Yes, I got all five of these PSCs from Tim Proctor for a total of $100 during his Black Friday sale

I've admired Tim's work since I started learning about sketch cards, but I honestly did not expect this type of work for $20 cards.

And while I love all of these and admire Tim's work in general, I think he took it to another level on this Red Skull (of course, I've got a skull bias, so YMMV).

I also picked up this PSC from Bianca Thompson

And some Bronze Age

Joe St.Pierre

Not sure about who the artist is for this one

EDIT: Thanks to mcguirem13, GR was done by Jader Correa

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 01-14-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #188 (permalink)

Destro eh? I've got a sweet Bianca Thompson Baroness Those Proctor's are sweet. I've never heard of him before? Strange...

I thought I did a good job checking my favorite artists blogs/websites/stores frequently... but you find all of the good sales!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Destro eh? I've got a sweet Bianca Thompson Baroness Those Proctor's are sweet. I've never heard of him before? Strange...

I thought I did a good job checking my favorite artists blogs/websites/stores frequently... but you find all of the good sales!
Yeah, I was way more into GI Joe as a kid than comic superhero characters. You don't see many GI Joe sketches so I thought I'd see what Tim could do with Destro.

I got familiar with his work from Mars Attacks (which was my entry into sketches).
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #190 (permalink)

How does Hall get away with that. I like his stuff in general but if he prints the image on the cards that's cheating a bit. Heck I should start doing that

Last edited by justice41; 01-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
How does Hall get away with that. I like his stuff in general but if he prints the image on the cards that's cheating a bit. Heck I should start doing that
He actually painted the RA card. This insert set has a sketch card type of surface. On the back is the full-color version. I don't know if it was intended as a "color your own" type of gimmick or what, but Charles painted that.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #192 (permalink)

Quote:
He actually painted the RA card. This insert set has a sketch card type of surface. On the back is the full-color version. I don't know if it was intended as a "color your own" type of gimmick or what, but Charles painted that.
I'm comfuselated, was it printed or was it hand copied and painted?
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #193 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, in contrast to the last mailday post, this one has some sketches that far exceeded my expectations

First up is the best $100 I have spent in this hobby. Yes, I got all five of these PSCs from Tim Proctor for a total of $100 during his Black Friday sale

I've admired Tim's work since I started learning about sketch cards, but I honestly did not expect this type of work for $20 cards.

And while I love all of these and admire Tim's work in general, I think he took it to another level on this Red Skull (of course, I've got a skull bias, so YMMV).

I also picked up this PSC from Bianca Thompson

And some Bronze Age

Joe St.Pierre

Not sure about who the artist is for this one
I think your Ghost Rider sketch with the unknown artist is Jader Correa.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I'm comfuselated, was it printed or was it hand copied and painted?
The card he painted was an actual RA card that was packed out in a previous product. It has a surface like a sketch card and he painted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
I think your Ghost Rider sketch with the unknown artist is Jader Correa.
Thank you, sir. I just got one of his the other day and should have recognized that
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I was way more into GI Joe as a kid than comic superhero characters.
As was I actually. Now I wish that I had ended one of my previous posts in this thread with "Knowing is half the battle." I crack myself up

I would definitely pick up a couple copies of a blank sketch cover GI Joe comic book if they put one out.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #196 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Mbellamy

Quote:
Well, being a n00b at this stuff still, I make some dumb purchases every so often. I had a couple this week (although these were paid for with eBay Bucks, so that softens the blow a little). I'm sharing this info to help the rest of you newer collectors out

Mary Bellamy (the banana cracks me up)
Glad to see my Cherry Banana card got a home. XD

Last edited by Mbellamy; 01-16-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Mbellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #197 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbellamy View Post
Glad to see my Cherry Banana card got a home. XD
Welcome aboard, Mary

I'm starting to get quite a collection of your cards: SketchCollectors.com: Everything Sketch Cards
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #198 (permalink)

Got my first batch of the new Batman product in.

Matt Glebe

Frank Kadar

Jezreel Rojales

Neil Camera

Sara Richard
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #199 (permalink)

I bet that Rojales looks sick in person. I've been trying to look for some of his work but haven't been able to find much. Been wondering if he did any sketches similar to that style.
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
I bet that Rojales looks sick in person. I've been trying to look for some of his work but haven't been able to find much. Been wondering if he did any sketches similar to that style.
Yeah, it's sweet. I can't wait until the other one I picked up gets in.

I looked at his other work and it's nothing like the two I got. It's very different in style and technique. I'm not sure what happened, but he should keep doing the new stuff