Blowout Cards Forums
Re-Pack Attack

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I know we all can be puzzled by why artists go for X amount, but Sara Richard is one where I don't understand why she doesn't go for more. I love every single card of hers that I've been able to get.
I also love most of the ones you've been able to get Funny enough, I think the price of a Sara Richard has dropped off quite a bit since I started collecting which puzzles me - considering how well known it is that Batman was her last "big company" sketch card release I'm surprised her Batman & MBA cards are pulling $150+ at a minimum. Haven't seen any dogs, thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28
Thanks. I am unable to get a scan or a pic that really captures how good that one looks. It is incredible up close when light hits the artwork just right.
You don't have to tell us - We all have Sara's and there is just something lost in the scan no matter how much you tweak it!

--> Better... but not exactly right

Sorry to derail your thread with my Sara fanaticism! I was so bummed that I didn't have the money to snag one of her MBA proofs before she ran out
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:36 PM   #27 (permalink)

Got the first one in that will be my ongoing mission from various artists. It's from Sara, of course, as I wanted to be sure to get her artistic perspective on what I would like done. As usual, it's absolutely stunning in person. Pictures/scans just cannot do these pieces justice. I can never capture the range of colors. The metallic vs. the faded background vs. the shading.... it's impossible to capture it seems.

Anyway, here's the deal since I've kind of hinted at it in the other threads already. Back in the early 2000's, some of you might remember CrossGen comics. I remember stopping into a comic shop while in Indiana and just for the hell of it, checking out the comics. Crazy, right? I was in there to preorder some cards but while looking, stumbled upon one of the CrossGen titles and thought the artwork was amazing. I picked up a few issues after the owner directed me to them and it kind of went from there. I ended up with the entire series of 2 titles before they managed to implode as a company, one of them being Scion.

Jim Cheung, now of Marvel, was the main artist on the series and I was (still am) a huge fan of his work. I managed to get an original art page of his from the series when they put them on the website about a month after an issue was released. I sold it and still regret it. So, I guess that's where my basis for this collecting endeavor begins.

One cover of Scion I particularly liked had the character Ashleigh laying across a throne with all the markings of the Raven. Just loved the detail, the background and everything about it. I even contacted Jim about obtaining the cover either from him or from someone else, if he knew who had it. Unfortunately, all he knew was that someone at CrossGen kept it and didn't know who/where it might even be. This is that issue's cover:

Well, I sent this out to Sara and the only guidance was that the character in place of Ashleigh be Jean Grey as Dark Phoenix. The raven that was perched upon the throne in the original by Mr. Cheung made for a perfect interpretation of a phoenix in Sara's version. Had the center of the throne changed into an "X" for obvious reasons and, beyond that, gave her free reign to the remainder.

The results, as optimal as I can get in various lighting, still not displaying the proper way are below. First one is with natural lighting. You can kind of get a good idea of the metallic but the background is washed out.

The second photo is with a flash and you can see the faded, light blue background of the sky through the window in the back, but it dulls the outstanding colors...

So there it is. Monkey, I think the cover collection is the way to go. It's so cool getting another artist to interpret an existing work and seeing what they come up with. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! Off to email a couple more artists and see who has AP's available and they can start soon...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #28 (permalink)

Awesome! Good luck with this journey.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #29 (permalink)

Wow, love both the Sara Richard AP's on page 1. The Sta Maria and Studio MIA Phoenix sketches too!

Amazing Charles Hall ^^
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Wow, sir, that's quite an AP!

Thanks for sharing that with us. You make a very strong case for the cover project
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I think the cover collection is the way to go. It's so cool getting another artist to interpret an existing work and seeing what they come up with. That's my plan and I'm sticking to it! Off to email a couple more artists and see who has AP's available and they can start soon...

This is a very cool and interesting idea. Glad to see it work out. She did a wonderful job.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #32 (permalink)

That is one incredible collection!

lucky4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Wow, love both the Sara Richard AP's on page 1. The Sta Maria and Studio MIA Phoenix sketches too!

Amazing Charles Hall ^^
I need to get a better pic/scan of the Sta Maria. The pencil underneath is way overwhelming in that shot. You can barely see it looking at it in hand. Thanks though! The Studio Mia was a lucky get. Somebody bought up the others immediately. It was listed with the wrong artist and is top 5, one of my favorites already. Great detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Wow, sir, that's quite an AP!

Thanks for sharing that with us. You make a very strong case for the cover project
I'm marching on with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4444 View Post
That is one incredible collection!
Thanks, for the little bit of time I put into it, I like it! Some of the stuff that is out there in PC's is jawdropping, and I could only hope to have a couple of those. (I think the C.Hall is one of them though, if I can brag on it.)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well, locked down another AP. This one will be Marvel Universe from another artist whose style I really like: Hanie Mohd. Kind of a cartoony look to it with the big eyes, facial expressions, etc. Here are a few of her PSC's for reference, NOT MINE, just pulled a pic from her page -

Still on the waiting list for others, but I'm trying to keep at least 1 going at a time!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #35 (permalink)

I really like that Arie Monroe Emma in the first post
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bartowski View Post
I really like that Arie Monroe Emma in the first post
You know where I found that thing? It was buried in somebody's website! They had a bunch of other non sports cards, I was clicking around and found some link to the sketchcard page and, well... the rest is history.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, locked down another AP. This one will be Marvel Universe from another artist whose style I really like: Hanie Mohd.
Can't wait to see it. Hanie's stuff is really cute. I picked up a Spider-Woman (SHOCKER!) she did for MBA.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Too excited not to post this... one of the artists I had on my want list finished up yesterday. Can't say who. Can't say from what set. I can post preliminary design work with a pending approval slapped across it, though!

I have a scan of the final version. Can't wait to post that but have to wait for the approval. In the mean time....

Last edited by nabzy28; 01-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #39 (permalink)

Update on the S.Richard Poison Ivy is that the first version was "too scantily clad" and was not approved. After adding more foliage, approval is now imminent and arrival within the next week or so, hopefully. Got a crazy good Studio Mia AP sitting in limbo awaiting approval and hope to hear an update tomorrow.

Also, some super spiffy news... after a year + on a waitlist of sorts, was finally able to lock up and begin process on an Artist Proof from Anthony Tan!! I am totally certain this will be an incredible piece when complete.

Anyway, I updated the original post with the three new Bronze Age sketches I picked up that arrived today. Will update with pics of the APs when those arrive, hopefully soon!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Update on the S.Richard Poison Ivy is that the first version was "too scantily clad" and was not approved. After adding more foliage, approval is now imminent and arrival within the next week or so, hopefully. )
Props to Crypto for actually providing a reason and some guidance when rejecting a card!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #41 (permalink)

Here's the approved Poison Ivy from Batman by Sara Richard. Again, nearly impossible to actually capture these accurately. One photo it just looks flat, in the other you can see some of the detail and effects used to highlight.

Last edited by nabzy28; 01-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #42 (permalink)

Lovely card by Sara--I'm going to miss seeing her work in future products.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #43 (permalink)

Been a while since the last update... with good reason. Not much out there, unfortunately! I have a nice AP to add to this tomorrow as I missed the FedEx delivery this morning. I know what it is, though!

Anyhow, well... so this FINALLY showed up. Was wondering if it'd ever surface.

It did. Now it's mine -

Old 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #44 (permalink)

For those who just browse the latest posts and not back through the original... kind of added it to the original post and never as an update...

Studio Mia AP
Old 05-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

Mr. Tan's version on a Marvel Universe Artist Proof...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #46 (permalink)

Marvel Bronze Age has been pretty slim on pieces that I'd like to add to my collection. Did find this in a search a while back and it arrived today. I always try to add both a Jean Grey and an Emma Frost from each release. No specific artists... just looking for unique and appealing sketches.

The seller had this listed as something like 'marvel bronze age sketch' for the title. Got a 2 piece puzzle for just barely over the cost of a box.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #47 (permalink)

Newly added:

Better detail on the highlights:

Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #48 (permalink)

Awesome Sara Richard
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #49 (permalink)

Added two APs from our Mary Bellamy a couple weeks ago. Approval was granted today, so I can finally post them...

Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #50 (permalink)

Another new AP arrived...