Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marvel Card Choices???

So I recently began collecting baseball cards again, and also use to collect Marvel Cards back in 1990's. Just wanted to know what are the best marvel cards to collect that are currently out on the market, any other choices besides Marvel Premier. Rittenhouse Marvel Greatest Heros looks nice especially the villan cards, but see people like to collect Upper Deck Beginnings Series. Can anyone tell me the differences between Rittenhouse & Upper Deck Marvel Cards brands, which is most popular, has better value, most fun, better looking or more appeal and it seems there are hits now-a-days like baseball cards in hobby boxes so which brand or boxes should I shoot for, and last how many boxes or cases to complete a set? Any and all info in detail would be much appreciated. Thanks
Cork&Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I think your best bet is to surf eBay and see which sets you like the look of. Are you looking to crack boxes and build sets, or just buy full sets already completed? Are you most interested in hits and inserts for resale, or do you want to collect favorite characters? Are you shooting for the big money sketch cards, or just looking to groove on the modern myths of Marvel?

Both companies are producing brilliant and beautiful products. The sketch cards are keeping their value and keeping box prices high for years after they are released. Try a search for Marvel at dacardworld for a nice overview of the current market. If they don't have a certain box, it is pretty much sold out.

You really can't go wrong with today's Marvel cards. Upper Deck even produced full photo sets for the recent movies. Surf around and find a set that grabs you by the eyes, then hold on for the ride of your life.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

The primary difference with Upper Deck / Rittenhouse marvel is that most of Upper Deck's Marvel offerings (not counting Marvel Premier) have been centered around the movie/marvel universe so, you get a collection of costume cards, autos and sketches. The sketches will be a mixed bag of Marvel characters and may be just black and white ink or colored.

Rittenhouse is just centered on the Marvel Universe with a specific subset. Marvel Bronze will be 1970-1985, Dangerous Divas was female characters, etc. The sketches are typically colored and a little nicer than Upper Deck.

Most boxes you will at least get a base set however if you are that curious about various odds and collation check out - Jeff Allender's House Of Checklists! Adult, Cartoon, DC, & Marvel Checklists
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
(not counting Marvel Premier)
Upper Deck's Marvel Beginnings series is top notch comic book stuff, with a number of very cool inserts. The cut panel cards feature small pieces of big money comic books, which is pretty fascinating to see what panels made the cut. Marvel Beginnings 3 is just about to drop as well. I have really enjoyed the obscure characters that are included in the base set, and I managed to snag the black printing plate for Squirrel Girl to make my dreams come true.

Great product.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Didn't mean to suggest to discount premier as it is a great product. Just meant to say that Marvel Premier wasn't tied in with a specific movie.

If you are wanting to collect and have the money, start with Premier and work down.

Edit: Forgot about UD doing Marvel Beginnings..

Last edited by kerg; 11-29-2012 at 02:07 PM.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

And I am not meaning to discount the movie sets. If the movies are your thing, that are an incredible value right now:

Search Results for "marvel" | dacardworld.com

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 11-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback! So sets that are currently coming out are tied to movies is what I understand. What would the Rittenhouse Marvel Greatest Heroes be tied too. Also as far as inserts go which has better pulls of value? I somehow got interested after looking on ebay at the villain cards from Rittenhouse Greatest Heroes (Really like the graphics) although I know people who like the comic book design looks. I think I prefer something almost realistic I guess, but collecting an entire set rather than just sets based on movies or storylines. What set covers every character as well as storlines/comics/movies?
Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rittenhouse's sets are not based on movies, just Upperdeck. As far as inserts go, the sketch cards are definitely the most value pulls. For Rittenhouse sets, the regular inserts in most marvel releases don't have much value and the base sets are nearly worthless as you can make a base set with just one box. Upperdeck's base set's are usually bigger and tougher to complete. They also include autos/swatches and comic panels in their sets so if you prefer those, then UD is the way to go. As people have said above, Rittenhouse products have a sketchcard in every box where UD might only have one is every couple boxes. Read up on the products and check out box breaks to see if that's the product that you want.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork&Fuzz View Post
Thanks for the feedback! So sets that are currently coming out are tied to movies is what I understand. What would the Rittenhouse Marvel Greatest Heroes be tied too. Also as far as inserts go which has better pulls of value? I somehow got interested after looking on ebay at the villain cards from Rittenhouse Greatest Heroes (Really like the graphics) although I know people who like the comic book design looks. I think I prefer something almost realistic I guess, but collecting an entire set rather than just sets based on movies or storylines. What set covers every character as well as storlines/comics/movies?
Wow. Let me catch my breath.

I think you should collect Marvel Beginnings by Upper Deck. There are 2 sets in circulation already and a 3rd set that will be released in 2 weeks.

Good luck!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you got the cash get a case of Marvel Beginnings 3!!
Good Luck
lucky4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
Wow. Let me catch my breath.

I think you should collect Marvel Beginnings by Upper Deck. There are 2 sets in circulation already and a 3rd set that will be released in 2 weeks.

Good luck!
Not to mention that there are members here who have bought the other two sets and can help get you caught up.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Marvel Beginnings is good if you like the base cards and inserts. I personally am only interested in the sketch cards, so I have passed on MB since you get a sketch in only every other box. For me, I like the looks of the sketches from the upcoming Rittenhouse Marvel Bronze Age and Cryptozoic DC Comics Batman.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Marvel Beginnings is good if you like the base cards and inserts. I personally am only interested in the sketch cards, so I have passed on MB since you get a sketch in only every other box. For me, I like the looks of the sketches from the upcoming Rittenhouse Marvel Bronze Age and Cryptozoic DC Comics Batman.
Bronze Age and Batman have both looked very nice sketch-wise in the promos. I'm sure that's somewhat common that the product sheets don't necessarily match the average sketch quality, but there are some very cool chase sketches at least.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

How much hobby boxes will I need to buy to collect the entire base set and parallels in both Rittenhouse Marvel Greatest Heroes & Upper Deck Marvel Beginnings Series I & Series II for each series?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Bronze Age and Batman have both looked very nice sketch-wise in the promos. I'm sure that's somewhat common that the product sheets don't necessarily match the average sketch quality, but there are some very cool chase sketches at least.
Normally I would agree, they usually only show the top 5-10% of sketches in the previews. And that's probably true on the Marvel Bronze Age. However, Cryptozoic has been posting previews of the majority of the artists' work on their facebook page, so we are seeing a much bigger selection, and it looks like most of the artists brought their A game to that set. I think after so many of the DC New 52 sketches were fairly disappointing, Cryptozoic has had to up their game on this set.

That said, I won't be pre-buying either set. I will wait to see some breaks before I make up my mind to buy any. There really isn't any reason to order most of these sets until after they come out, there should be plenty of product available so the price shouldn't go up. I know a lot of people want to bust stuff as soon as it comes out, so maybe I'm in the minority with being fine opening a product a month or two after it comes out.
aggie4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Normally I would agree, they usually only show the top 5-10% of sketches in the previews. And that's probably true on the Marvel Bronze Age. However, Cryptozoic has been posting previews of the majority of the artists' work on their facebook page, so we are seeing a much bigger selection, and it looks like most of the artists brought their A game to that set. I think after so many of the DC New 52 sketches were fairly disappointing, Cryptozoic has had to up their game on this set.

That said, I won't be pre-buying either set. I will wait to see some breaks before I make up my mind to buy any. There really isn't any reason to order most of these sets until after they come out, there should be plenty of product available so the price shouldn't go up. I know a lot of people want to bust stuff as soon as it comes out, so maybe I'm in the minority with being fine opening a product a month or two after it comes out.
The aggregate artist list on Rittenhouse 'Marvel Bronze Age' is amazing. More than likely they are trying to make-up (create buzz) for all the extra boxes of their most recent sets still available @ discounted prices.
BHotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #17 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

I agree with most of the above that it sounds like Marvel Beginnings is a good start for current releases since you like sets that cover the entire universe. If you like DC the Cryptozoic DC New 52 is a nice looking set. The sketches aren't the greatest overall.

You should also take a look at some of these previous releases:
Marvel Masterpieces from Upper Deck. It was released in 2007 and 2008.
Rittenhouse Complete Avengers
Rittenhouse Marvel Heroes & Villains
Rittenhouse DC Legacy - If you like DC at all this is a good set

Older sets:
1995 Marvel Metal
Any of the original Marvel Masterpieces 1992-1996
1994 DC Universe - really inexpensive set but great artwork.
1994-1995 Marvel Flair

There are even more but this is a good start.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

So can anyone tell me how many hobby boxes I need to collect the base set for both Marvel Beginnings I & II and for Rittenhouse Marvel Heroes? Or do you need a case? Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork&Fuzz View Post
So can anyone tell me how many hobby boxes I need to collect the base set for both Marvel Beginnings I & II and for Rittenhouse Marvel Heroes? Or do you need a case? Thanks
For MB, you will need 2 boxes of each series. For Marvel Heroes, you will only need one box.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote