Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
The fact is A LOT of collectors will miss out on this release because they like the fun of opening boxes not buying singles, and they sold out within hours (I know I didn't get a chance to use the computer for the day by the time they were sold out).

I hope if future releases are on this scale of availability that they either put a cap on orders or offer boxes/cases in waves.
I think it was known from the start this was very limited and a lot of people would miss out. That's why as soon as I saw the presale, I bought my 1 case.

I screwed around with the Cryptids and missed out--I wasn't going to do that twice. I imagine I'm not the only one who was thinking that after seeing how nice the Cryptids release was.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
No order from our online sales was more than 3 cases when the ordering window was open. Over half the orders placed were for a single case, and a couple 2 case orders. We only had 6 collectors order individual packs, with orders of 1,2,3 and 5.

With the low price point and small production run, those single case orders added up really fast!
You know, I'm really glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing this information with us and it makes me feel really good to know that you guys are being widely collected and I think that will build on your popularity and reflect well on you.

In my mind I imagined someone dropping thousands on this release considering a case of any other more popular line will easily fetch that cost per case and have comparable sketches!

Keep up the great work!
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
No order from our online sales was more than 3 cases when the ordering window was open. Over half the orders placed were for a single case, and a couple 2 case orders. We only had 6 collectors order individual packs, with orders of 1,2,3 and 5.

With the low price point and small production run, those single case orders added up really fast!
Thanks for sharing this info. That's really cool to know.

Who I collect: Cam Fowler, Milan Lucic, Tim Thomas, D-men, Bruins
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #79 (permalink)

We should also explain our reasoning with keeping a small production run for this set:

Aside from wanting to keep the quality high, this is a very specialized niche when it comes to sketch cards. There are no characters or creatures to collect, only detailed sketches of space imagery. We took a chance picking this theme without knowing what the reaction would be.

In addition, we used the data from our Cryptids release to determine the set size. Our first packs of Cryptids sold July 9th. We didn't sell another single pack for over two weeks, until July 25th. After that, we didn't sell out until Sept 30th.

Response to Cryptids was solid, but the slow sales simply couldn't justify us increasing the production run for a completely unknown theme such as Space. We're still a very new company, and simply can not afford to release a product that sits on our shelves, instead of the shelves of distributors. It's one thing for a product to flop after you've already dumped it on the market and let the hobby shops deal with it. It's quite another when you self distribute and have to be cautious about leftover product.

With Cryptids, we had several collectors mention to us that because the product was still available to purchase, it must not be very 'hot' or sought after. This made them decide to skip Cryptids all together.

It's extremely difficult to know how many packs or cases will be ordered based on one previous release. Our company is made up of collectors and forum members just like yourselves. We're trying to make our company very collector friendly. This is one of the reasons we mostly self distribute.

If we had sold all the cases to distributors, I can assure you prices would not have remained low even when the quantities were limited. We dislike the secondary market price gouging as much as you all do, but you can see why a company would want to just wholesale all the cases and let the distributors set prices as they see fit. We've chosen to do it differently, and keep prices fair.

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 12-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
With Cryptids, we had several collectors mention to us that because the product was still available to purchase, it must not be very 'hot' or sought after. This made them decide to skip Cryptids all together.
WHAT?! What the actual %*&#$&? Did you make it a point not to invite them to the ordering page for Space? Are you licking the tears of unfathomable sadness off their cheeks as they hit your sold out page?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #81 (permalink)

Matt from SolarFly Cards has mentioned that their allotment will be available on their website Wednesday at 8:00 PM EST. We're still not sure when Blowout will be making theirs available as well.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
There are no characters or creatures to collect, only detailed sketches of space imagery. We took a chance picking this theme without knowing what the reaction would be.
I think if you were to draw a Venn diagram of sketch collectors and space enthusiasts you would have two largely overlapping circles.

Just flip through NASA's Image of the Day and you'll see there's a lot of material out there.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
You know, I'm really glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing this information with us and it makes me feel really good to know that you guys are being widely collected and I think that will build on your popularity and reflect well on you.

In my mind I imagined someone dropping thousands on this release considering a case of any other more popular line will easily fetch that cost per case and have comparable sketches!

Keep up the great work!
I thought I remember reading somewhere that there were only 350 packs being made -- so 35 cases. . . The entire run was likely purchased in 30-50 orders.

I don't know that 30-50 orders (speculative) is widely collected.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #84 (permalink)

"Overall set amounts will be a minimum of 50 cases (500 boxes), but no more than 55 cases" from post #30 in this thread.

The biggest question with determining allocation is how many were sent to Blowout and Solarfly, but I certainly don't feel entitled to that information. (I'm just a sucker for logic puzzles and trying to figure out all the details.)

I can understand using distributors to ensure a sellout, but I feel like the positive reaction on this forum alone was enough to think this set would do well on it's own.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBelcher View Post
"Overall set amounts will be a minimum of 50 cases (500 boxes), but no more than 55 cases" from post #30 in this thread.

The biggest question with determining allocation is how many were sent to Blowout and Solarfly, but I certainly don't feel entitled to that information. (I'm just a sucker for logic puzzles and trying to figure out all the details.)

I can understand using distributors to ensure a sellout, but I feel like the positive reaction on this forum alone was enough to think this set would do well on it's own.
Blowout and SolarFly were only allotted 10% of the production run. The rest were made available direct to collectors on our website.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBelcher View Post
I was looking for that -- skimming too fast, I guess. . . so +15 to my numbers, probably 45-65 buyers. . .
Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
I was looking for that -- skimming too fast, I guess. . . so +15 to my numbers, probably 45-65 buyers. . .
You're right. I was thinking it would be more than that. I guess with low numbers, that's one of the better case scenarios?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:

Ha, I was a 3-pack order! I'm near-broke from Christmas, so I ordered the bare-minimum to get free shipping, and to match the 3 packs I bought of Cryptids. Can't wait to see what I get!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #89 (permalink)

Congrats on the quick sellout! I understand everyone's frustrations, I definately wanted to buy more than 1 case, but didn't think it would sell out so quickly. But at least I did get my 1 case ordered so I'm better off than a lot of people. I'm also happy to hear that there were no really big buyers for this set, unlike with the Cryptids set where one guy bought 100 packs. I was actually going to sugest having a 1 or 2 case maximum for orders, but it looks like that wasn't necessary. But it might be necessary with the next set if you want to let more people have a chance at packs.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what else is in store for this set (and your other sets coming out next year)!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #90 (permalink)

While I do quite a bit of rippin & flippin, I only ordered one case. I am intrigued to see firsthand the quality that Viceroy is bringing to the party. The only reason that I stayed away from Cryptids is that it was a little too close to the set that Sadlittles did back a ways.
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
While I do quite a bit of rippin & flippin, I only ordered one case. I am intrigued to see firsthand the quality that Viceroy is bringing to the party. The only reason that I stayed away from Cryptids is that it was a little too close to the set that Sadlittles did back a ways.
You won't be disappointed!

There is a good balance for me with individuals who buy to sell. I can get sketches and artists I love from flippers and get the thrill of opening packs for myself too.

I always keep an open mind when I open packs too. I could pull a super hot sketch that would be collection worthy to me, but if I sell it I can re-coupe some of my spent money. Then there is funds in the paypal account for the next set.
Pop Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
Congrats on the quick sellout! I understand everyone's frustrations, I definately wanted to buy more than 1 case, but didn't think it would sell out so quickly. But at least I did get my 1 case ordered so I'm better off than a lot of people. I'm also happy to hear that there were no really big buyers for this set, unlike with the Cryptids set where one guy bought 100 packs. I was actually going to sugest having a 1 or 2 case maximum for orders, but it looks like that wasn't necessary. But it might be necessary with the next set if you want to let more people have a chance at packs.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing what else is in store for this set (and your other sets coming out next year)!
are you kidding me it is sold out. so much for getting a case. congrates on the sell out and to the people that actually get to order this killer product
nick9819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #93 (permalink)

I'm lucky I got a case from the sounds of it!

Will there be famous landmarks from space in this set or are all of the sketches done in a "what if" fantastical settings?

Edit: Looks like the nebula on the first page looks like the horsehead nebula. So both.
Nutshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutshell View Post
I'm lucky I got a case from the sounds of it!

Will there be famous landmarks from space in this set or are all of the sketches done in a "what if" fantastical settings?

Edit: Looks like the nebula on the first page looks like the horsehead nebula. So both.
Artists are taking reference from the NASA library of images, along with other similar public domain space imagery sources.

There will also be a few different styles used by certain artists with their sketches. Overall, most sketches will be realistic space imagery, with a small portion being slightly different. Still no giant bugs though.

Also, here's a few updated images of the sketch card letterpress design and thickness, printing plates, and printing plate negatives.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Overall, most sketches will be realistic space imagery, with a small portion being slightly different. Still no giant bugs though.
That's what you think!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
That's what you think!
"I've dipped my sketches in lysergic acid diethylamide so that after holding it for 5 to 10 seconds, bugs are some of the things you'll see."
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
That's what you think!
Breaking News:

Call the exterminator, we've got a bug problem! Famed artist Ted Dastick Jr. is raising eyebrows in the sketch card world with his insistence on adding giant bugs to his sketches across all sets. Collector opinions are divided, but one in favor of the move is Star Wars creator George Lucas, who was quoted as saying: "I really enjoyed the giant bugs Ted added to his Star Wars sketches. In fact, we've decided to make giant bugs the focal point of Episode VII."

Thanks Ted. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Collector opinions are divided, but one in favor of the move is Star Wars creator George Lucas, who was quoted as saying: "I really enjoyed the giant bugs Ted added to his Star Wars sketches. In fact, we've decided to make giant bugs the focal point of Episode VII."
Lies. All lies. That's way too exciting for modern day George Lucas.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #99 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Quote:
That's what you think!
You must be wishing for a `Starship Troopers' set to do sketches for.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #100 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

I really want one of these for my collection!

Forgive my ignorance, but I am reading this is sold out- so I would not be able to buy myself a single box?