Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Wow, that's actually pretty interesting. I liked his style in in Marvel 70th? It seemed like I didn't hear much about him after that - and then he did a few cards in Captain America.
Zane, aka Gooney Toons, aka Beau Gas is one of the coolest cats to grace this hobby. He did Marvel 70th, then Heroes and Villains, then the controversy on Scoundrel, then he dropped out. Captian America was one last twitch.

He was such a great person that he allowed us collectors to send him photos of ourselves to be made into superheroes.

This is me, as Doctor Strange, on an official sketch card approved by Marvel Comics:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #152 (permalink)

Not gonna lie, that's pretty bad ass.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #153 (permalink)

Zane did the zombie Bettie Page Private Collection bonus card, I would assume he did sketch cards for that set.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #154 (permalink)

Zane is a very cool guy, didn't know about his issue. Shows some have no sense of humor. I need to get ahold of him and see what kinda shirts he's doing.
justice41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #155 (permalink)

He and his clothing line are on Facebook!

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Zane is a very cool guy, didn't know about his issue. Shows some have no sense of humor. I need to get ahold of him and see what kinda shirts he's doing.
Certainly some people have no sense of humor, however -- people started freaking out pretty quickly (it was a little creepy, especially when someone posted a photo of a guy with head exploding), and they let it go far too long after people started feeling uncomfortable. . .
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
Certainly some people have no sense of humor, however -- people started freaking out pretty quickly (it was a little creepy, especially when someone posted a photo of a guy with head exploding), and they let it go far too long after people started feeling uncomfortable. . .
breeding a buncha wusses.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #158 (permalink)

Uh oh... I think I "derailed" this thread too! Its turned into "collectors attitudes towards artists." Ooops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Never hurts to ask.
What bothers me is when artists say "PM or email me for prices." If you're looking to sell something, just put a price on it. Why the secrecy?
Agreed 100%. I recently put up a post that said "I'm going to buy a Bronze Age AP featuring the death of Gwen Stacy, if you are an artist interested in tackling this PM me with a quote and a sample of your work." Only got 1 PM so far! Guess they don't like it either

I try to go to as many local cons as I can, and the Allentown PA area seems to have at least one comic art type of show a month. If an original piece doesn't have a price on it, I just assume I can't afford it! I don't want to haggle with an artist over an original piece. That is a piece of them. I feel like I'm insulting them. The only time I will ever haggle is if I'm buying multiple pieces. "Oh your doing PSCs for $20 each? Nice work. Will you do 3 for $50?" That is about it.

On the other hand, if I walk past a dealer display case full of sketch cards, there is no chance I'm walking away with one at the sticker price. Why should they be insulted? They didn't paint it!
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #159 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
On the other hand, if I walk past a dealer display case full of sketch cards, there is no chance I'm walking away with one at the sticker price. Why should they be insulted? They didn't paint it!
And this is why it doesn't pay, as a dealer, to put fair prices on cards at shows.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
And this is why it doesn't pay, as a dealer, to put fair prices on cards at shows.
Or just price them fairly and only give volume discounts
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with you actually When you go to an event like that, it is expected that bartering will take place. Like going to a used car dealership, a craft show, or a flea market. I can understand putting a sticker price ~10% or even ~20% more than you expect to sell the card for, but in my experience the sticker price is closer to double. (not a personal attack - we have not done business together to my knowledge)

If the prices in the display case are crazy high, I'm not even going to stop to look. Its a tricky spot you guys are in. But if that show floor has wifi or a 3G signal, rest assured I'm checking prices on my phone My favorite is when I find the exact card the guy is selling on eBay, and its cheaper on eBay!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
If the prices in the display case are crazy high, I'm not even going to stop to look. Its a tricky spot you guys are in.
Clarification: I am not a dealer, but I've set up at a show a couple of times to clear out extra stuff in my collection.

I have to tell you, setting up just once changes your perspective on pricing and things a lot. It is a ton of work to set up at a show, and there are always a couple of people you are forced to deal with who can really ruin your day, not to mention stuff getting stolen, damaged, etc. . .

It is a real eye opener. . .

When I was set up I certainly didn't mind people checking my prices against eBay, but a woman who picked up 17 $1 inserts (that other sellers were asking $2-3 each for) -- after I spent about 30 minutes sorting and pulling them for her and asked what I would take for the lot and I said $15 and got a snide "Gee Thanks" response from still ticks me off. I literally said "Those would be $30+ at any other table, so . . . " she then paid and left.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #163 (permalink)

I tried my best to just 'observe' this thread, but as you can see, I've failed miserably.

First off, I don't haggle with artists on anything... not PSC's, AP's, prints, other commissions or even shipping & handling. Their price is their price - the value of their time, effort and everything else that goes into creating the art they would be making for me, so I don't think it's my place to say otherwise.

To the point of the original post, I don't have a problem with rip and flippers unless they are just flat out clueless about what they have, and even then, it's just a mild irritation.
The biggest issue I've seen is when only a few "big time" buyers buy huge chunks of a print run (meaning about 15% each to four or five sellers), leaving comparatively few for the collectors. I prefer to see the large orders broken up to accommodate several smaller orders.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #164 (permalink)

Quote:
I have to tell you, setting up just once changes your perspective on pricing and things a lot. It is a ton of work to set up at a show, and there are always a couple of people you are forced to deal with who can really ruin your day, not to mention stuff getting stolen, damaged, etc. . .

It is a real eye opener. . .
I empathize with you for sure. I may not buy anything, but I try never to be RUDE to a dealer no matter what I think of his/her prices. I may very well want to go back and buy something from them before I leave! Wouldn't I feel like a fool then Plus for sure they wouldn't give in a cent if I was rude and then came back to tried to haggle.

Also, as much as I want to look through every display of sketch cards I see, I don't want to 'tease' anybody, so if I know I'm not going to buy I sure as hell don't ask them to do anything for me. If their stuff is in a binder or a box full of top-loaders then I'm not taking them away from a possible paying customer so I have no problem browsing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBelcher
To the point of the original post, I don't have a problem with rip and flippers unless they are just flat out clueless about what they have, and even then, it's just a mild irritation.
The biggest issue I've seen is when only a few "big time" buyers buy huge chunks of a print run (meaning about 15% each to four or five sellers), leaving comparatively few for the collectors. I prefer to see the large orders broken up to accommodate several smaller orders.
I enjoy collecting 5finity sets very much, but I find myself having that problem. Do to their popularity and small runs, they are practically a guaranteed profit for any dealer and the majority of the "top level" members that get to buy the most product are rip-n-flip dealers. Although it looks like 5finity put some things in place to remedy that situation.

If people can make a buck doing something, they are going to do it.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #165 (permalink)

I skipped on the last two 5Finity sets. Got boring doing sexy female drawings.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #166 (permalink)

I pick and choose. I bought in on Cherry but not on Lady Death 2 or Female Persuasion 3. I'm excited to find out what they have in store for next year though.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #167 (permalink)

Quote:
I pick and choose. I bought in on Cherry but not on Lady Death 2 or Female Persuasion 3. I'm excited to find out what they have in store for next year though.
Couldn't do nudity so I didn't want to waste my time drawing Cherry clothed or hiding her goodies.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #168 (permalink)

Its funny you say that, because I was on the fence about buying until I found out it was no nudity. Its polarizing. I think the artists that contributed did an excellent job with the set, and from what I hear the dealers did well. I'm waiting on a bunch of AEs, but when they come in I'm going to post my set and hope some others will join me.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #169 (permalink)

Quote:
what about all the previous sets? 5finity sets like archie, voltron, sheena, lady death 1, zombies v cheereleaders etc etc .. try finding those now
im busy w nonhobby stuff .. will get to pms
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #170 (permalink)

While I've never had any problems with sellers on this site, I've gotten pretty fed up with ebay sellers as well as card companies in general. I had an ebay seller try to convince me that overnight shipping did not actually mean overnight and could take several days to ship despite paying $30 for shipping.

All AP's I've purchased directly from artists have been amazing art at an amazing price. Most of the time you get to pick the subject matter and most importantly you get to help support the artists.

Busting boxes and cases was fun for a bit, and I'm excited about my 2 boxes of TWD S2 but I've just decided to buy APs for the most part.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #171 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
what about all the previous sets? 5finity sets like archie, voltron, sheena, lady death 1, zombies v cheereleaders etc etc .. try finding those now
I'm not sure what the question is. I didn't start collecting until earlier this year. It was right around the Shi release and I did buy a couple of those online.

I've also picked up a couple of cards from ZvC, Manga Mandy, Kitty Ditties, Female Persuasion 1 & 2, and Pulp Girls through online sites or trades. Not super interested in those sets (besides ZvC) but there are certain artists I really enjoy (particularly David Namisato).

I'm very interested in Grimm Fairy Tales and Hack/Slash but what is still available doesn't really interest me, at least not at the asking price. I'd love to see another installment of either in the horizon. I actually bought an old Hack/Slash AE from one of the Cherry artists I commissioned.

Cherry was the first set I was able to get in on direct from 5finity and then I decided to pass on the following two (LD2 and FP3).
Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #172 (permalink)

Official 'how'd this fall to page 2' bump.

.. also, anybody got contact info. for Jim Cheung?

Happy Holidays all!

Old 12-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Its funny you say that, because I was on the fence about buying until I found out it was no nudity. Its polarizing. I think the artists that contributed did an excellent job with the set, and from what I hear the dealers did well. I'm waiting on a bunch of AEs, but when they come in I'm going to post my set and hope some others will join me.
I was bugging Frank from 5Fin to let me do Cherry until we got notice no nudity. Then my pencil went limp.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
I was bugging Frank from 5Fin to let me do Cherry until we got notice no nudity. Then my pencil went limp.
hehe very funny. our loss that you weren't on the set. think you might work with 5finity at all next year?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #175 (permalink)

Yeah, but it depends on the product. My last stuff for him was the last Grimms Fairy tales set.
they are here.
Wonderland Sketch cards-5Finity by ~Justice4one on deviantART