Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Yeah, but it depends on the product. My last stuff for him was the last Grimms Fairy tales set.
they are here.
Wonderland Sketch cards-5Finity by ~Justice4one on deviantART
Very nice--I really like those first 2 puzzles
Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #177 (permalink)

I was late with them so had to just crank out as good as possible and shipped the out express mail so he could pack ship em.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #178 (permalink)

Wow! Too much stuff on your DA page to point out specific awesome cards, but I think the stuff you did for the Avengers Movie set really stood out. Its a shame we won't be seeing you in any more of those sets.

I know you said you don't really do commissions anymore. Do you have a sale page where you post the APs and sketch covers that you do?
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #179 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
While I understand that completely, I also believe that constructive criticism is essential to artitic progress. Call it "bitching" is usually not fair.

There should be a place where collectors can talk about high and low levels of quality in the artwork they are sponsoring, using contructive criticism to advance the hobby.

But no.

Almost every time someone speaks out about skill or effort, no matter what level of quality they are talking about, there is an immediate outcry from the artists.

Not a big problem, just the state of the hobby.

This is definitely what I would like. I am a collector and have only ever sold three cards. I collect for the quality of the art and diversity of techniques. Being able to share my opinion about a card would be cool, it for no other reason than to hear someone else's opposity opinion.
Kankula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #180 (permalink)

I think it all depends on the forums setup. If a forum is about showcasing and networking, criticism will be taken as more of an attack or a possible way to lower an artists worth to get deals on that artist(s) work. Right time right place thing.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #181 (permalink)

i think i still have this one around that i didnt move yet.

nice detailed art!
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff .. still tired
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 PM   #182 (permalink)

people do not like to be criticized. it doesn't matter if they are an artist, a scientist, or making french fries at mcdonalds.

if you want to start a thread to discuss specific sketches in your collection - go right ahead. just remember that you can't control the stupidity that other people may contribute. after all, this is the internet, a place where you can be a douche without any repercussions.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
nice detailed art!
interesting post on your blog cardbucket: Setting the value of a (sketch) card - how hard it is hope you don't mind me pointing it out
Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #184 (permalink)

@SF - are u looking to get banned on scoundrels board? lol ... beware of the site owners' buds who have him on speed dial if word gets out.

anyways, glad my signature works.

the OP is about sketch collectors and sellers ... that writeup u linked is/was about collectors vs collectors. preaching about what other collectors do w their cards (sell at a profit .. ridiculously inflated or not) ... and then the preacher does the same thing. try posting about it over there .. and watch how that discussion disappears.

for those new to sketch cards - once u pull it, or trade for it, or buy it - do whatever the heck u want w it. isnt that true for all cards (things?) .. the sketch card hobby world slow to get that.

off topic - any of u new collectors pull a marvel hetrick sketch and want to trade lmk

im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff .. still tired
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
@SF - are u looking to get banned on scoundrels board? lol ... beware of the site owners' buds who have him on speed dial if word gets out.

@SF is me? I've had posts of mine "disappear" on the scoundrel forum already whatever. if you want to have a open dialog about anything, this is definitely the better forum to post in. scoundrel is great for seeing lots of sketch cards, getting in touch with artists you would like to commission, getting news etc... its not good for posting discussion topics. unless you are an artist promoting yourself or a dealer selling stuff.

i linked the post because i honestly think it is an opinion worth reading and fits into what this thread has become over the past couple of weeks.

oh, and FYI your sig doesn't work as a link but I was interested enough to type the address in to check it out
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #186 (permalink)

Uh oh. The good ole boy network is churning.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #187 (permalink)

Quote:

nice detailed art!
Heh, I tried selling my returns and no one would buy em until I bundled them and then that buyer turned around and sold each of the bundled cards separately and made a bundle.
Crank up the levels and contrast on those cards to show the true colors. I believe a lot of sellers do themselves no good when they scan or take pictures of the art and leave it as taken. Always, always, always, crank back the blacks. Doing that will bring back the real colors and define the artwork better. makes it more attractive to buyers.
compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Sketch collectors attitudes towards sellers-gft.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:

the OP is about sketch collectors and sellers ... that writeup u linked is/was about collectors vs collectors. preaching about what other collectors do w their cards (sell at a profit .. ridiculously inflated or not) ... and then the preacher does the same thing. try posting about it over there .. and watch how that discussion disappears.

for those new to sketch cards - once u pull it, or trade for it, or buy it - do whatever the heck u want w it. isnt that true for all cards (things?) .. the sketch card hobby world slow to get that.

off topic - any of u new collectors pull a marvel hetrick sketch and want to trade lmk

Oh man.... Where is that stirring the pot emoticon when you need it.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Heh, I tried selling my returns and no one would buy em until I bundled them and then that buyer turned around and sold each of the bundled cards separately and made a bundle.
Crank up the levels and contrast on those cards to show the true colors. I believe a lot of sellers do themselves no good when they scan or take pictures of the art and leave it as taken. Always, always, always, crank back the blacks. Doing that will bring back the real colors and define the artwork better. makes it more attractive to buyers.
compare.
Thanks for the tip Justice. I thought my scanner just sucked. It is like 8 years old after all. Now I'll have to re-scan the 150 or so that I have.... hmmm... maybe I'll just try this moving forward

Surprised you had trouble selling your GFT AEs. When I started collecting, GFT cards were already tough to find and the set was only released a couple months prior. I've talked to artists that have Galaxgals, Manga Mandy and Zombies Vs Cheerleaders blanks still, but nobody has GFT.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #190 (permalink)

I have one left but it's a crap card best never seen.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
interesting post on your blog cardbucket: Setting the value of a (sketch) card - how hard it is hope you don't mind me pointing it out
I think one of the greatest issues with sketch cards is determining their value. I bought a Veronica O'Connell sketch of Col. O'Neill from Stargate. Veronica O'Connell Original Sketch Card Stargate SG 1 Anderson O'Neill PSC Art | eBay

It is without a doubt, one of my favorite sketches. I know I got a steal on it since Stargate sketches of that character are very hard to come by, especially by artists like her. This is one of those times where I have no issue with the price.

Then, we have a sketch card like this:
2012 Leaf National Exclusive Sketch Card Katy Perry 1 1 Kevin John | eBay

It is a great card, and I offered a bit less for it because I have never heard of the artist, it isn't colored, and honestly, it doesn't really look like the subject! The seller was adamant that I was incorrect with my offer, and declined. I explained why I made the offer I did, and basically was blown off. I don't know what makes the price of the card so high, it will probably never sell at that price.

I think what would help a lot of sellers is that they need to remember that you can list a card for $500, but I can get exactly what I want from the artist of my choice for a tenth of that. It also benefits the artists to get a specific piece done by them because they make more that way, and most APs are better than the set submissions IMHO.

Last edited by Artiodactyla; 12-28-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Artiodactyla is offline   Reply With Quote