Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to sketch card collecting

Finally I am able to post on the forums!! I just recently was introduced to the fabulous world of sketch cards and was wondering what sets tend to have more hits in a box/case. I have seen some post that it is really the luck of the draw, but has there been some sets that consistently contain great stuff? I also noticed some sets contain autograph/memorabilia cards, any info on those?? Any info is greatly appreciated and a place to start would be fantastic!!
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

if you are only doing it from a collecting stand point i think the smaller/ independent companies have better quality hits overall. upper deck and Rittenhouse can be a little more feast or famine but the monster hits have a better sell value. it really comes down to what you want a sketch of, is it marvel, dc, LOFTR's, star wars, zombies, mythological animals, etc.
nick9819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rittenhouse boxes are guaranteed to have one sketch card per box, but the other insert sets are usually weak.

Upper Deck Marvel Beginnings boxes have lots of cool insert sets, but you are not guaranteed a sketch.

Both are great if you are looking for Marvel, which is basically all I collect.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post
I just recently was introduced to the fabulous world of sketch cards and was wondering what sets tend to have more hits in a box/case.
First be sure to check out this other section of blowout cards for an idea of what you can expect from a box or case break. You can use a google search starting with site:blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sport-box-breaks/ to search for something. For example, marvel premiere.

I'm pretty new too and just broke down a case of Star Wars Galactic Files ... mostly because I'm not just here for sketches and also because it was really fun. If you're just looking for sketches, I think the most cost effective way to do it is to just buy single sketch cards. Personally from now on I think I'll just pay cash for singles from ebay or trade.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

There's so many types of sketch products, that's it's hard to give you a good quick answer. First you have to decide what you like, then we can probably give you some help on suggestions. Do you like Marvel super heroes? Prefer DC comics instead? Do you like to build base sets of cards and inserts, or are you only interested in sketch cards?

Two products that are coming up in the next couple of months look cool:

Viceroy Cards - Space! premium sketch card set

New Card Company Asylum Studios' First Set Blood and Glory

Both products are also fairly inexpensive, under $25 for a pack that includes a sketch. And the artist list on both sets are very good, and you have pretty good odds of hitting a top artist.

Another thing to consider if you are just starting out, is to consider older products. I don't see the point of buying Marvel Beginnings III at $800/case, when you can get a case of MB II for under $600/case, since they both have the same content. The majority of sketch products drop in price a couple of months after release, as most people move on to the next new set. So it's a way to get more bang out of your buck.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses guys. I should have clarified a bit. I'm not just looking for sketch cards but also looking for cool inserts or base sets. The sketch cards are cool, but from I could tell on eBay there are a ton out there. Plus some of them are quite expensive, which I assume might be a specific artist. But thanks for the help. Hopefully it gets easier as time goes on.
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
If you're just looking for sketches, I think the most cost effective way to do it is to just buy single sketch cards. Personally from now on I think I'll just pay cash for singles from ebay or trade.
Absolutely correct. If the goal is sketch cards to collect, singles are the only way to play.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you are into Marvel, building base sets, cool inserts, and autos - then Upper Deck is the way to go. They do the Marvel movie sets, which I have really enjoyed. I've heard some complaints about them not being able to get autos from the top stars (Robert Downy Jr. specifically) but otherwise the sets are really well done. The Marvel Beginnings sets are also really great, but if you want to build sets then you might want to pass one since they are sending out the third and final installment next week.

Yes - Generally speaking, the artist drives the price of the sketch cards. There are exceptions to the rule though. Sometimes a sketch just stands out and draws a high price even though that artist doesn't typically do so.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote