Blowout Cards Forums
Hallowwen

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
Did Charles ever respond?
No
I guess he must be really busy

lucky4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

You would have received the card eventually – sketches are his bread and butter. I doubt he’s in the business of ripping people off...
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #28 (permalink)

Still has not responded.....

Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 AM   #29 (permalink)

Got the refund
Live and learn i guess................................................

Old 12-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

You made the right decision.
I don't care how good his work is, how stand-up of a guy he is, etc. If he doesn't respond to inquiries in a timely fashion, then he is either not very professional or has gotten in over his head with too much work, which again circles back around to not being professional enough to handle his priorities.

Not worth the trouble.
panamamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
You would have received the card eventually – sketches are his bread and butter. I doubt he’s in the business of ripping people off...
for those new to commissioning artists go read the threads about artists on scoundrel board ..
some have not been deleted (yet)

Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - Anyone heard from William Neff??

Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - Well known artist has let me down.

Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - My commission experience with MELIKE ACAR

enjoy

(those are only a random assortment)
im around, tired and busy w nonhobby stuff
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Thanks for those links Ricksam

Old 12-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksam View Post
for those new to commissioning artists go read the threads about artists on scoundrel board ..

Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - My commission experience with MELIKE ACAR

enjoy

Thanks for sharing those.

I've had great experiences so far, but I'll admit I've been waiting for a bad one based on some of the general feedback about commissions.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #34 (permalink)

We are all going to get banned from Scoundrel!

For the record, I believe I have been screwed by an artist. I paid cash at a show though, so not much recourse available to me Lesson learned though
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

People need to start naming these artists with there crappy service so other would be buyers dont lose there time and money.
This is a list of artists i have used which have incredible service
David Desbois:A+
Frank Kadar:A+
Frankie B Washington:A+

Not so good
Charles Hall:F

Old 12-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #36 (permalink)

Things work both ways. Sketch card artists are a small community and many of them are friends. You start calling people out and making claims - you may find it difficult to find artists willing to work with you.

I'm hesitant to call out a name until I'm certain I've been screwed. It may be a misunderstanding. I lost the artists contact information and have been trying to find it, but it isn't exactly my top priority. Once I get in touch with him, I'd be happy to call him out if he is in fact screwing me.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

Well, I've never had what I consider to be a horrible experience, so I'll just give a thumbs up to those that I've dealt with:
Sam Agro
Soni Alcorn-Hender
Lynne Anderson
Ted Dastick
David Desbois
Meghan Hetrick
Jim Kyle
Kat Laurange
Trev Murphy
Tony Perna
Elaine Perna
Sarah Wilkinson

I know there are more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head... I'll edit this post if / when they come to mind.
And Spider-Fan, PM me with the artist whose info you are looking for... I might have it or (far more likely) know someone who will have it.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #38 (permalink)

@SF ... every collector is hesitant to call out .. lest the artist go "nutso" and "never ever" follow through w paid commissions (or take years / or do a eyes closed, 5 minute, pencil job just to shut the collector up) .. like - ray lago, david day (find the most recent scoundrel thread), renae deliz, ray dillon

see that 3rd link i posted:
blink - the screwed collector / is a mod over on scoundrel
melike - the "screwing" artist
nar, cinar - artists
others - chimers in

notice that discussion became artists vs artists .. as the voice of the collector (blink) was shutdown; and an artist (nar) stepped up to be the hero for the collector (blink)

the screwing artist (melike) was on facebook rant to allegedly lie about the collector (blink); now that the collector got satisfaction by super hero nar help it would seem ... let's not bring this up again as if it never happened .. or will happen again lol

go look for any scoundrel feedback for melike (the screwing artist) .. none ... the scoundrel mod left no feedback

here is a lame attempt at artist feedback on scoundrel board:
Scoundrel Art Community • View topic - Non-performance of Obligations by Artists
( removing details once issue resolved .. as if never happened or wont again ); yeah i found the complaining thread there as my 3 links show -- but not in feedback area where maybe new collector could find to make decisions who to spend $ with
Old 12-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

@sb ... the problems w a feedback system is it seems artists are "good" w 1 collector, but "bad" w another .. i see 2 on your list w "issues" ... 1 i know is a liar ( and others know too but only via pm / didnt want to rub her the wrong way in case she then would pull a tantrum and not work for their company )
Old 12-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

I'm glad things worked out for you, maybe try baseball hobby darling Tempy Moore? Unless you want your guy to have ears or even look like him at all.
coltsnsox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #41 (permalink)

I wonder how many potential collectors were turned off of sketch cards by Tempy Moore and the idiotic player sketches that Topps used.

Those Moore sketches (not just the ones you posted) are embarrassing.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
@sb ... the problems w a feedback system is it seems artists are "good" w 1 collector, but "bad" w another .. i see 2 on your list w "issues" ... 1 i know is a liar ( and others know too but only via pm / didnt want to rub her the wrong way in case she then would pull a tantrum and not work for their company )
I understand that, I was only pointing out my positive interactions with artists. Hell, I waited quite a while for a commission from one of those people and I still consider it positive when I suspect many Scoundrel members wouldn't. It's all subjective, based entirely on ones opinion. All I can say is that they have each treated me well.

All in all, it's a two-way street. Collectors should be up front with their expectations and artists should be up front about any constraints. The lines of communication need to be open for both parties. It seems most complaints stem from lack of updates from the artists.
SBelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
@SF ... every collector is hesitant to call out ..
I actually really appreciated that you posted those links. It was a section of Scoundrel that I hadn't visited before and I spent a couple of hours reading through a lot of the threads and left some feedback for some of the people I have worked with. The Acar thread was a particularly good read.

Unfortunately its hard to draw any conclusion from anything written on the internet. People are people. Most of the time when somebody speaks up about something it is because they have a complaint. I work for a global consumer products company and we get thousands of complaints about our products every year but they represents less than 0.1% of what is sold. If I see 5 complaints about an artist that has probably sold 500 PSCs, should I be turned away from that artist? The truth is, we just don't have a good system of collecting positive and negative numeric feedback about sketch card artists. However, the iTrader system that this site uses is miles ahead of what is available on Scoundrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBelcher
so I'll just give a thumbs up to those that I've dealt with:
I just sent him an email through Scoundrel, but if I don't hear back in a week I'll PM you...

As far as well known professional sketch card artists that I have dealt with only through the internet go... I have worked with a few but the only one that I would personally vouch for because I have worked with her on multiple occasions and she has always gone above and beyond my expectations is Mary Bellamy.

I prefer to deal with artists in person. Since I live within two hours of both New York City and Philadelphia I have the opportunity to meet artists from around the country and even around the world at events like Wizard World Philly, New York Comic Con, Philadelphia Non-Sports Trading Card Show, etc... Not to say that things can't go wrong, but meeting somebody in person and actually talking to them has advantages over the internet. And often you can pay them through PayPal using your cell phone, which is a little added security if you aren't leaving with the work. (And that is what I should have done!)
Old 01-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #44 (permalink)

Card came in today now i have to repay him, so glad he came through!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4444 View Post
Card came in today now i have to repay him, so glad he came through!
so when do we get to see what all this commotion was about?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #46 (permalink)

I am having a similar problem. I bought 6 PSC's sketch cards off eBay from Charles Hall ranging from 4 to 7 months ago. I have received 3 of them, but the last one was before Christmas and he has not responded to any of my emails since January. I have sent 3 Emails the past 3 weeks and none of them have been answered. I am sure he is busy but I was told it would only be a month or two when I first commissioned him to do them and I am now worried I am just going to be out the money and I will never get the sketches.
Lbacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

I know I'm on there somewhere. Just glad I finally got the longest waited for Commissions out of the way just have a few lost AP's that I have to redo and that's it no more commissions of any kind for me again.

enjoy

I know I'm on there somewhere. Just glad I finally got the longest waited for Commissions out of the way just have a few lost AP's that I have to redo and that's it no more commissions of any kind for me again.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbacall View Post
I am having a similar problem. I bought 6 PSC's sketch cards off eBay from Charles Hall ranging from 4 to 7 months ago. I have received 3 of them, but the last one was before Christmas and he has not responded to any of my emails since January. I have sent 3 Emails the past 3 weeks and none of them have been answered. I am sure he is busy but I was told it would only be a month or two when I first commissioned him to do them and I am now worried I am just going to be out the money and I will never get the sketches.
Keep in mind Hall works in oils. I just did a few oils on cards for a Bettie Page set and a few for AP's from Batman and let me tell you they take a long time to dry. Even if you put varnish or fixative on them they don't dry for weeks. Imagine having 10 -20 or so cards all drying waiting for them to dry and having to take new commissions and hoping that while they dry nothing happens to them like dust of stuff getting into the paints. It's a mess working with oils. And when I mean waiting to dry I mean the stages of painting not for the final product. You have to wait for colors to dry before applying more colors.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #49 (permalink)

Oh and for future Ref, as a commissioner do not go all wussy when asking for a com. Make sure you tell the person when you want the work done and do not pay up front the entire thing no matter who it is. Pay a percentage to show you are serious but do not pay until the com is finished and in the timeline you negotiated. Don't ever tell an artist, get it done as soon as you can". As soon as I can could be 4 years from today as far as I'm concerned. Don't be such fanboys that you can't come to terms and stick to them. Just some friendly advice.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
Oh and for future Ref, as a commissioner do not go all wussy when asking for a com. Make sure you tell the person when you want the work done and do not pay up front the entire thing no matter who it is. Pay a percentage to show you are serious but do not pay until the com is finished and in the timeline you negotiated. Don't ever tell an artist, get it done as soon as you can". As soon as I can could be 4 years from today as far as I'm concerned. Don't be such fanboys that you can't come to terms and stick to them. Just some friendly advice.
Problem is he sells commissions on eBay and you don't have an option but paying in full up front.

I hear what you're saying about his technique, but there's no excuse for not answering emails to explain what's going on.

If there's one thing I would share with artists from the other side of things, it's this: keep communicating. We will accept delays, we will give you slack, but you need to keep us updated every few weeks or so.