Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #201 (permalink)
Cat

I'd like to give a + to Anthony Hochrein. Commissioned some PSC's and AP's from him, he was always quick to respond to any queries, kept me updated and the work was simply amazing. Couldn't be happier.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:50 PM   #202 (permalink)

Updated through here

Thanks again to everyone for your participation
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #203 (permalink)

I'd like to add an + for Randy Siplon. He was easy to deal with and churned out a great looking Game of Thrones PSC.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #204 (permalink)

I'd like to give a big + to two artists, Tim Proctor and Randy Siplon

Proctor was excellent throughout the communication process, and the work was superb...

Siplon, while a little slow with communication, delivered beautiful work as usual...
Old 01-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #205 (permalink)

Just received this Island Dreams 3 AE from Emily Riggsby...+1
coalregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #206 (permalink)

Nice. I love her stuff.
WTB/WTTF: Emmanuelle Chriqui Cards: Americana Prime Time Stars Signature Material #19; Americana Prime Time Stars Director's Cut Signatures #19A & 19B; 2011 ITG Canadiana Onyx Base Card; and Leaf Cut Signatures.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #207 (permalink)

Updated through here--thanks for sharing your feedback
Old 01-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #208 (permalink)

+1 for Tim Proctor! Beautiful artwork, and great communication!

I am a network admin. If you see me laughing, pray you have a recent backup.
Deathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #209 (permalink)

I really don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask my question here. I got a hold of a prominent artist on Facebook to do a 10 sketch commission for me. I paid the entire fee up front, and they said they would have them done a week after I paid (which I thought was an extremely quick turnaround). It's been almost 10 months and they have said more than once that they've started on them, or almost completed the job. I have no problem waiting, but I see a few sketches that the artist has recently completed thrown up on eBay that are the exact thing I'm waiting on. Am I wrong to be pissed that they would rather spend hours drawing sketches for John Q. Public rather than completing my sketches that have long since been paid for?

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p623/Kingofkings1281/
Kingofkings1281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #210 (permalink)

Just recieved a new commission from Chris McJunkin, +1 commission for sure.

Bought a commissioned PSC on eBay, and by that very night began working on it. Next day, he had a scan ready for me, and I recieved the card in less than a week. I'll definitely be a repeat customer of his...
Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #211 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofkings1281 View Post
I really don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask my question here. I got a hold of a prominent artist on Facebook to do a 10 sketch commission for me. I paid the entire fee up front, and they said they would have them done a week after I paid (which I thought was an extremely quick turnaround). It's been almost 10 months and they have said more than once that they've started on them, or almost completed the job. I have no problem waiting, but I see a few sketches that the artist has recently completed thrown up on eBay that are the exact thing I'm waiting on. Am I wrong to be pissed that they would rather spend hours drawing sketches for John Q. Public rather than completing my sketches that have long since been paid for?
Whether or not they have been doing other sketches is irrelevant. They asked for payment up front and told you when they would be complete in a week. They have missed that completion date by months. You have every right to be pissed off.

Most of the "prominent" sketch card artists do not ask for payment in advance. A couple do... Personally, I just don't work with them. They can be offended if they want, but it isn't a trust thing. I understand that stuff happens. Higher paying jobs and other unexpected work comes up, illnesses and family emergencies happen, people get struck by lightening... Whatever! There is no need for me to store my money in the bank of artist for longer than the PayPal 45 day protection period.

We all learn not to pay up front the hard way. Sorry you had such a poor experience. There are a lot of highly talented artists out there that are also highly professional. You shouldn't protect this artist. You should protect your fellow board members from making the same mistake.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #212 (permalink)

Might as well post in here - I owe quite a few members artwork, some dating back to the Summer. Please know that I'm not going to give excuses, but that I thank you all for your patience. I've been through what seemed like a never ending series of unfortunate events that have compromised ALL of my artwork, not just commissions (I'm already behind on a couple sets). I've done little to no drawing at all recently just because my life hasn't afforded me time.

That is changing now and as I get caught up, commissions will be completed once I hit my current deadlines over the next month.

I've always prided myself in being able to turn things around quickly, and I've gotten too far away from that over the past year. Part of it is that I don't say "no" and take on typically more than I can handle, but then life happens and well, you know the rest.

Thanks again for everyone's patience. Sorry to those I still owe artwork. Please bear with me.

EDIT: If anyone ever wants to know the status of their work owed, do not hesitate to email or PM me, I will always respond.

Last edited by dd316; 01-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Most of the "prominent" sketch card artists do not ask for payment in advance. A couple do... Personally, I just don't work with them. They can be offended if they want, but it isn't a trust thing. I understand that stuff happens. Higher paying jobs and other unexpected work comes up, illnesses and family emergencies happen, people get struck by lightening... Whatever! There is no need for me to store my money in the bank of artist for longer than the PayPal 45 day protection period.

We all learn not to pay up front the hard way. Sorry you had such a poor experience. There are a lot of highly talented artists out there that are also highly professional. You shouldn't protect this artist. You should protect your fellow board members from making the same mistake.
I keep seeing this on the board, but I haven't seen it in practice. I've contacted a lot of artists about commissions, sketch cards and larger sized ones, and the only artist that hasn't expected payment up front is Jessica Grundy. She told me that she would work on my piece, and if I didn't like it then no hard feelings and she'd sell it to someone else. Every single other artist, from big name comic book artists like Joseph Linsner and Ebas to mainly sketch card artists like Emily Riggsby or Tim Proctor, that I have contacted has expected payment beforehand. If I didn't pay for my commissions before they were completed, then I wouldn't have any.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #214 (permalink)

I'd like to give positive feedback for -
+ Tim Proctor
+ Jason Chalker
+ Chris Hamer
Pics can be seen in my gallery.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead767 View Post
I keep seeing this on the board, but I haven't seen it in practice. I've contacted a lot of artists about commissions, sketch cards and larger sized ones, and the only artist that hasn't expected payment up front is Jessica Grundy. She told me that she would work on my piece, and if I didn't like it then no hard feelings and she'd sell it to someone else. Every single other artist, from big name comic book artists like Joseph Linsner and Ebas to mainly sketch card artists like Emily Riggsby or Tim Proctor, that I have contacted has expected payment beforehand. If I didn't pay for my commissions before they were completed, then I wouldn't have any.
I'm not going to blow out a lot of names, because I like to keep my business dealings private. I don't always know when I am getting preferential treatment verses standard practice. I'll call out some artist members of this board that have publicly stated that they do not request money for commission work until the work is ready to ship: Roy Cover and Amber Shelton. Having worked with Amber, I can confirm this is true.

There have been artists that have initially requested full payment up front. I explain the situation from my perspective, that it is nothing personal, and I offer the following flexibility: I can pay them PayPal Goods before they start the commission as long as the commission is completed and delivered within 30 days. If it is not completed within 30 days I will file for a refund through PayPal, for my own personal protection. I'm happy to resubmit payment once the commission is completed, before its shipped.

I've been doing that for about a year now, and the only artist that wanted money up front and wasn't agreeable was Tim Proctor. I told him that paying up front in full for a commission that would not be delivered for 3 months was a deal breaker. He contacted me again and we worked something out. I was still a bit hesitant to pay up front, but since the cost was relatively low I decided to take the chance. He failed to meet the agreed upon deadline, and that is why I will not be commissioning him again in the future.

Many popular sketch card artists have longer than a 30 day wait for a commission unless you get very lucky and contact them during a slow period. From my perspective, there is no reason to pay for a slot in their queue and once a card is started there is no reason for it to take longer than 30 days for it to be completed. This logic is difficult to argue. If the artist wants to be paid before they start the work, there is no reason for them to reject the first option. When you get to me, contact me and I will pay. As long as you get the commission to me within 30 days, there is no problem. To ask for money 3 or 6 months before the card will be started is absolutely ridiculous. So many things can take place in that time period. And if I flake or decide I'm no longer interested, the artist didn't lose anything. They just move to the next person in line. After all, they have a 3-6 month backlog of people wanting commissions, right?

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 01-18-2014 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #216 (permalink)

I do typically ask for 1/2 up front on APs and Returns if we've never dealt before.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #217 (permalink)

I wish more artist were like Ted
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #218 (permalink)

+ for Tim Proctor for me please. Just received my PSC and love it!

Brandon Lee as the Crow

Last edited by ekalbnz; 03-13-2014 at 05:52 AM.
ekalbnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #219 (permalink)

I got 4 cards in the mail from Dan Brereton - ++++ all the way! Dan's a busy guy but he always takes the time to respond to email!
PitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 PM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitViper View Post
I got 4 cards in the mail from Dan Brereton - ++++ all the way! Dan's a busy guy but he always takes the time to respond to email!
Dan has become a good friend of mine. We've even talked about working on a project together. A fantastic creator and he's one of the few I can say who can do a true "sketch" that looks like a real piece of art.

As you say he's always real busy but seems to be able to (somehow) make time for whatever is asked of him.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #221 (permalink)
Cat

Leaving positive feedback for Tim Proctor. He was up front about when the cards would be completed (and delivered on time) and communication was great. Wouldn't hesitate to commission again.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #222 (permalink)

I'm leaving + feedback for Tim Proctor. Very smooth transaction and delivered when stated. Thanks Tim!!!
coalregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #223 (permalink)

+1 - Tim Proctor (The Deep AP)
+1 - Frank Kadar (Women of Marvel 2 AP)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #224 (permalink)

Just a little housekeeping--I'm taking an extended break from the site and Spider-Fan has graciously agreed to take over maintaining the feedback tally for this thread going forward. So, in case you're confused about why he's doing that updates--that's why
Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #225 (permalink)

Aw, bye, monkey! Have a good break.