Blowout Cards Forums
New Categories

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Question Large company not paying sketch artists?

I know at least one member here has made reference to a certain large company that doesn't pay the sketch artists they hire. I saw a couple artists mention this also happened to them in another group.

So, is this a situation where only a few artists are having this problem or is it widespread and people are not wanting to publicize it? Are they just very slow with their payments or are people not getting paid at all?

I'm asking because as a collector, I'm not interested in supporting a company that is not taking care of its obligations to the people creating the work they are making good money from.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 01-04-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
jubei777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,731
Default

Pretty sure it isn't Topps. I know an artist who has done work for the last few star wars sets and he's never had issues getting paid. If it's UD, that wouldn't surprise me considering their issues not being able to pay athletes at times for their auto. Outside of that, it would be surprising if it was Rittenhouse or Cryptozoic.
__________________
http://s232.photobucket.com/user/jubei7777/library/Cards
jubei777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubei777 View Post
Pretty sure it isn't Topps. I know an artist who has done work for the last few star wars sets and he's never had issues getting paid. If it's UD, that wouldn't surprise me considering their issues not being able to pay athletes at times for their auto. Outside of that, it would be surprising if it was Rittenhouse or Cryptozoic.
I'm talking about the one that wouldn't surprise you. I wasn't trying to be mysterious--I just thought everyone who knew about it would know who I meant and I didn't want the thread to go away
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015

Last edited by monkeymcgee; 01-04-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
KingMob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 266
Default

oops, yes, that company, haha.

Last edited by KingMob; 01-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.
KingMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 781
Default

Oh boy, this is gonna get good.

It's common knowledge that the company you are referring to pays slow. And in at least one instance that I know of all together didn't pay an artist.

I personally have been paid late, but all the companies I've done cards for have come through in the end. Sometimes you have to politely inquire as to the status of your payment.

Sometimes you get self proclaimed "big time sketchcard artists" tend to have a sense of entitlement (no one I've seen on this board, but on the Twitter) and go off like they are owed the world. Yet, they were fully aware that when they took the job they'd likely get paid late.

I've talked with a couple of guys who have had AP's lost by various companies as well. My Kree Skrull AP's were lost, and since then I've been allowed to hold on to mine until the release date of the set.

I would say that the vocal minority are outweighed by the satisfied guys and gals working on these sets.

It would be a shame to miss out on killer cards because you hold a grudge against a company that hasn't done anything to you personally, but based off the opinion of a disgruntled person. When there are so many more gruntled guys out there that have good experiences with said company.

For instance, there is a car repair chain called Service King. They did me completely wrong, just did me dirty. But there are thousands of guys they did right and are satisfied with the service they got. For someone not to go there because I had a bad experiences is lame. Let them judge for themselves.

It is what it is. Don't miss out on something because someone says you should. Miss out of something because you want to.
__________________
www.orange-thirteen.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrangeThirteen
http://orangethirteen.tumblr.com/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Jay: Thanks--that's what I was trying to get a sense of.

To me getting paid late sucks, but that's not super unusual in this field.

Not getting paid at all is a different kettle of fish.

I know the vocal minority stands out, so that's why I was asking. And I was actually hoping you'd respond since I know you've done a fair amount of work for them recently.
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 781
Default

Yeah, I'm always good for a hot sports opinion or two.
__________________
www.orange-thirteen.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrangeThirteen
http://orangethirteen.tumblr.com/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
For instance, there is a car repair chain called Service King. They did me completely wrong, just did me dirty. But there are thousands of guys they did right and are satisfied with the service they got. For someone not to go there because I had a bad experiences is lame. Let them judge for themselves.
I disagree with this. Anyone can make up their mind to support or not support a business on their own based on any information. If you don't want someone to pass judgment on Service King, why did you even name them? I already don't like them based on what you said, and I certainly wouldn't go there. I can't imagine ANYBODY reading what you just wrote, thinking "Hey, I'll give Service King a try!"

Upper Deck did me wrong, but they did you right. There's enough evidence of both sides for consumers to decide how to proceed. I think a company's reputation is important. If they do things properly, they have nothing to worry about.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
I disagree with this. Anyone can make up their mind to support or not support a business on their own based on any information. If you don't want someone to pass judgment on Service King, why did you even name them? I already don't like them based on what you said, and I certainly wouldn't go there. I can't imagine ANYBODY reading what you just wrote, thinking "Hey, I'll give Service King a try!"

Upper Deck did me wrong, but they did you right. There's enough evidence of both sides for consumers to decide how to proceed. I think a company's reputation is important. If they do things properly, they have nothing to worry about.
All completely valid points.

In regards to Service King, I don't tell people not to use them because of my past experience. If someone I know asks me for my opinion on a repair shop, I'll gladly tell them my story.
__________________
www.orange-thirteen.com
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OrangeThirteen
http://orangethirteen.tumblr.com/
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stuttgart (Germany)
Posts: 228
Default

Just to clerify, when you refer to be paid late how late would that be?

E.g. when I send my invoices to Porsche AG and Daimler AG (Mercedes Benz) I know it will take 6 to 8 weeks until they pay because the invoices will go through a lot of departments until they are reviewed and cleared and the sum X is assigned for payment. Everyone here knows it takes that long, so it's no big deal.

But if the company you've mentioned takes months until they pay that would suck big times! You can't live on love alone.
Estephano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I know at least one member here has made reference to a certain large company that doesn't pay the sketch artists they hire. I saw a couple artists mention this also happened to them in another group.

So, is this a situation where only a few artists are having this problem or is it widespread and people are not wanting to publicize it? Are they just very slow with their payments or are people not getting paid at all?

I'm asking because as a collector, I'm not interested in supporting a company that is not taking care of its obligations to the people creating the work they are making good money from.

You've been playing on Scoundrel.


I remember a few threads over there that got pretty heated. I think Jim K. was pretty involved if my memory serves me right.

I wouldn't say UD makes a "good" money from all their non-sport releases. They took it in the ass on Kree-Skrull release - I know what they buy price was on the remaining 500+ cases they had in inventory. They lost huge on that one. Thor and Captain America didn't sell out either (D&A bought out the remaining inventory).

Back to the original subject. UD is pretty notorious. I believe they owe players like Romo $100k, Tebow $75K for signings. Not sure if they ever payed.
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
You've been playing on Scoundrel.


I remember a few threads over there that got pretty heated. I think Jim K. was pretty involved if my memory serves me right.
Actually this was on Facebook. An artist mentioned that she still hadn't been paid for her work on Premier and someone else mentioned they had been stiffed on another UD product. So, I was just curious how widespread this was.

I know about UD's history with the NFLPA lawsuit, but not paying Romo who makes millions a year versus not paying an artist who is not making millions is a little different (to me, anyway). Especially when there are other companies out there who apparently aren't having this problem with artists (although I've been told via PM about at least one other that does have this problem).
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Actually this was on Facebook. An artist mentioned that she still hadn't been paid for her work on Premier and someone else mentioned they had been stiffed on another UD product. So, I was just curious how widespread this was.

I know about UD's history with the NFLPA lawsuit, but not paying Romo who makes millions a year versus not paying an artist who is not making millions is a little different (to me, anyway). Especially when there are other companies out there who apparently aren't having this problem with artists (although I've been told via PM about at least one other that does have this problem).
I figure if your going to have a problem paying an athlete, their probably going to have a problem just paying anyone - I really don't differentiate.

I have heard stories of other companies "stumbling", however I don't know if any of that is anything more than an honest slip.
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
I figure if your going to have a problem paying an athlete, their probably going to have a problem just paying anyone - I really don't differentiate.

I have heard stories of other companies "stumbling", however I don't know if any of that is anything more than an honest slip.
True--from the perspective of UD being shady about paying what they owe.

However, in terms of me feeling bad about having the product of that relationship, I feel differently about a sketch artist getting stiffed versus an athlete
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
However, in terms of me feeling bad about having the product of that relationship, I feel differently about a sketch artist getting stiffed versus an athlete
I would like to hire you to represent me.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
37Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Central PA
Posts: 10,780
Default

I was worried that Tempy Moore had not been paid to allow her to continue her remedial sketching lessons.
__________________
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,232
Default

This is nothing new. Upper deck has a bad reputation of not taking care of those that take care of them.

I suppose if you're going to counterfeit over a half million cards, (that we know about), you're not going to care much about anything else ethical.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 2,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
This is nothing new. Upper deck has a bad reputation of not taking care of those that take care of them.

I suppose if you're going to counterfeit over a half million cards, (that they admitted to), you're not going to care much about anything else ethical.
Corrected it for you
Igman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
t2554's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
This is nothing new. Upper deck has a bad reputation of not taking care of those that take care of them.

I suppose if you're going to counterfeit over a half million cards, (that we know about), you're not going to care much about anything else ethical.
Wait... what??
t2554 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2554 View Post
Wait... what??
The Great Yu-Gi-Oh Scandal...

I still don't know how they came out of that one with their heads above water.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,549
Default

I like to respond to all of Mr. McGee's threads because they are just so damn good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Not getting paid at all is a different kettle of fish.
Huh? I'd like to better understand this "kettle of fish" saying. I've never heard it before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estephano
But if the company you've mentioned takes months until they pay that would suck big times! You can't live on love alone.
You also can't live on what these guys get paid by the sketch card companies to do cards. I'll assume that most people are getting their APs on time and since that is their bread and butter they aren't throwing a fit when their check comes late. Actual artists feel free to correct me.

Since I have started collecting, I've heard more artists state they are leaving said company due to (1) increased rejection of set and proof cards, and (2) significantly increased time for proofs to be approved/rejected as opposed to not getting paid on time. Also, apparently when they reject a card they don't tell you why so you don't know what to 'fix' when you do it over.

I don't support paying people late. I think everybody should be paid in a timely manner.
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
t2554's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
The Great Yu-Gi-Oh Scandal...

I still don't know how they came out of that one with their heads above water.
I vaguely remember hearing about that and just googled it... wow is all I can say lol.
t2554 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
monkeymcgee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 7,280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
The Great Yu-Gi-Oh Scandal...

I still don't know how they came out of that one with their heads above water.
I agree--how McWilliam is still with UDC after that is a mystery to me. It actually says a lot about that company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Huh? I'd like to better understand this "kettle of fish" saying. I've never heard it before
Yeah, I don't remember where I picked that phrase up (it was a long time ago), but I always enjoy using it with the situation arises
__________________
Collecting: money in the bank for some projects around the house | hope to be back picking up sketches in 2015
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,307
Default

When i got into UD i had no problems, they paid on time and returned my AP's promptly and even had me sign for the AP's. But once they Lost my AP's and a whole lot of other artists AP's and then didn't pay us for nearly 6 months I got soured on them. UD send the blank AP's along with the Regular Blanks so we have them at hand. Until they lost the AP's returning the finished AP's along with regular cards was required. They still haven't paid me for the extra 21 Captain America Cards i did. if they have issues selling cards that's not my problem. Maybe if they had higher quality requirements and paid a standard rate like all the other companies they may not have had sales issues. Not paying on time or not at all may have worked but not now because big mouths Like Me and Boo will tear em a new one to anyone who will listen. Anyone interested in buying a UD AP from me feel free to ask.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Rian Fike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 565
Default

I have worked for Upper Deck as a freelance writer for 8 years.

The people who run the entertainment division are wonderful people who are at the mercy of horrible bosses.

In the end, even after 20 good friends were fired, the Vs. System and Mavel Superstars games were cancelled, and I never got paid for six months of work (and never will), Upper Deck still makes some of the best cards in the world.

Morally, the bosses at Upper Deck are despicable human beings. But the cards are still great.
__________________
Check out my sketch card blog:

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.