Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Mass Exodus of Sketch Artists?

Since my last thread prompted some good discussion, thought I'd throw this one out there.

A prominent artist just mentioned on Facebook that they will not be doing official release sketches any longer after current obligations are completed.

When offering more details, the artist had this to say:

Quote:
I think over the next few months there's going to be a mass exodus of card artists, who finally had the light dawn on them.
Later, the artist added this:

Quote:
I could go into a big long diatribe regarding stuff, but i'll save that for another day. The boiled down summary though, is that, to keep the more established/high-profile artists (if that's what their goal is), things need to change. Drastically. It's not a finger pointing, shaming statement, just an observation of facts, especially in this economy.
Then another artist (who I happen to like a lot), said this:

Quote:
Totally understand you taking a step away from sketch cards. Actually I'm doing it now for the same reasons lol Just one last official set to work on and I'm done for awhile unless something I'm really interested in pops up.
So, I'm curious--what is this "mass exodus" being caused by? Is it the payment issue we covered in the other thread? Is it that they'd rather spend their time doing more profitable work? Is is due to the demands by the companies regarding the amount of cards that have to be done? Is it the deadlines the companies impose to get the work completed? Or are artists just getting bored/tired of doing sketch cards and would rather focus on other things?

A little turnover isn't necessarily a bad thing as we get to discover new artists, but since the phrase was "mass exodus" I'm assuming there's something going on that is pushing people out and maybe there's more to it than just burning out.

As we know, some other artists have said the same thing recently about leaving sketch cards behind (Nar and Sara Richard are two who comes to mind), so I know this is at least an opinion shared by a few artists.

[Inactive]
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think that the biggest issue is that of over-saturation. Not only does that affect the sales price of singles, but it also greatly diminishes demand of AP's which is where artist's earn the lion's share of their compensation for doing these cards. Many folks will take a look at ebay and say "why should I pay $350 for an AP when I can get blabla's pack inserted cards for $95-$125?

Sketch cards are not really a long-term means for most artists. The pay is just too low to have the ability to do officially liscensed artwork on properties that they would otherwise have no shot at. Many artists tend to come in with a BANG and then kind of tail off after a few years of the meat grinder. If they did consistantly awsome work, they will continue to get commission work for years to come and that is where the real money is.

In the meantime, there are TONS of talented artists out there to replace those leaving the field. Not to say that the people don't matter, because many of these folks are darn nice people, but on the business and art front...life goes on.
Igman7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

sketch card artists better get it while it's hot, because people in other aspects of art can't give the work away....... no point in getting emotional and playing yourself out of the game. unless they have talent that can't be matched by the next person they will just be replaced, most consumers don't know the difference unless they are just absolutely amazing artists.
Collecting Carlos Correa / Byron Buxton / Manny Machado / Bryce Harper / Mark Appel / Kris Bryant (lower end stuff & bgs slabs) Basketball: Blake Griffin / Derrick Rose / Paul George / Damian Lillard Football: Andrew Luck / Russell Wilson
Qwasian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
I think that the biggest issue is that of over-saturation. Not only does that affect the sales price of singles, but it also greatly diminishes demand of AP's which is where artist's earn the lion's share of their compensation for doing these cards. Many folks will take a look at ebay and say "why should I pay $350 for an AP when I can get blabla's pack inserted cards for $95-$125?
I've heard this echoed by several artists. If they are only getting a few bucks a pop for their pack inserted cards and they can't sell their APs, they are basically working for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igman7 View Post
Sketch cards are not really a long-term means for most artists. The pay is just too low to have the ability to do officially liscensed artwork on properties that they would otherwise have no shot at. Many artists tend to come in with a BANG and then kind of tail off after a few years of the meat grinder. If they did consistantly awsome work, they will continue to get commission work for years to come and that is where the real money is.
Most of the young local artists I talk to that do PSCs at shows echo this point exactly. They know they can't make a living doing sketch cards but getting onto licensed sets is another way to get their name out there on a much broader scale than they can currently do. If their work stands out, it could be a big break as far as commissions go. These kids are trying to find work in their field after they graduate, just like everybody else.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

plenty more fish in the sea...

UD didn't go out of business after their criminal activities. I think they can survive losing sketch artists.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can see another big issue is the companies and their puzzles/book style sketch cards. It seems most of the market has moved from the individual frame sketches, to multiframe sketches and/or puzzles.

Marvel Greatest Battles : 12,000 minimum sketches
Limited Edition! Only 6,000 boxes made!
2-Card Sketch Puzzle in Every Box!
Every sketch card puzzle will feature at least 2 different characters

I personally would prefer a single frame over a puzzle or fold-out. Even Marvel Premier has the fold-outs, and as great as some look, I would still rather a single frame sketch.
Sketches of Black Cat / Harley Quinn
Mystafet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Monkey, with all due respect...

The sky is not falling.

Sketch artists are notorious for being drama queens. You can't take one random quote and make a movement out of it.

Consider the source. Then realize that we have heard THE EXACT SAME THING from at least ten different artists over the last three years.

And yet, the cards keep coming and the products are still as great as ever.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Rian Fike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well if new artists get wind of the no way to make any decent money selling AP's vibe the newer artists will not stick around or join up. The problem isn't too many cards just too little a market to support it. Same issue with comics in general. I sell my AP's at roughly twice what my average overall is for pulled cards. So around 125 to 150 and in rare cases 200. I wouldn't ask more as that's just being greedy.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

And Monkey don't be shy with links and artists names. If they wrote it in public it isn't a secret.
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

No problem here, just more opportunity for Tempy Moore.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
And Monkey don't be shy with links and artists names. If they wrote it in public it isn't a secret.
Agreed. Names would help to identify the Chicken Little this time.

There are lots of artists begging to be included on official sets, so losing a few will do nothing to the hobby.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian Fike View Post
Monkey, with all due respect...

The sky is not falling.

Sketch artists are notorious for being drama queens. You can't take one random quote and make a movement out of it.

Consider the source. Then realize that we have heard THE EXACT SAME THING from at least ten different artists over the last three years.

And yet, the cards keep coming and the products are still as great as ever.
I don't think the sky is falling, but since the reference was made to a mass exodus I was curious if something was going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
In this case, it was in the comments of a photo not made public. I can PM you the names, but I don't want to post them here. In this case, I don't know how relevant the particular artists are--there's either going to be a mass exodus or there isn't. As soon as we name names, we get the history of all the drama with that individual instead of whether what they said is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
If that happens, I'm telling you right now that you are to blame for putting that idea into the universe

[Inactive]
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
Your Fidrych avatar makes me love you. Deeply.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, never mind--looks like the photo is public.

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...29771430483274

[Inactive]
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've heard this a few times, and for the most part those artists are still doing sketch cards to some degree. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Well, never mind--looks like the photo is public.

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...29771430483274
And that is Meghan Hetrick for anyone not on Facebook.

And she said the same thing last year.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think the sky is falling, but since the reference was made to a mass exodus I was curious if something was going on.

This thread is a pretty bald attempt to get people riled up and worried.

Hence the "sky is falling" reference.

Being curious is one thing. Making a thread to cause drama is another.

No problem, just remember one thing. Sketch artists who talk a lot on the internet are drama queens.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
If I really wished to do that, I don't think this is the board I'd be posting to.

Look--I found the statement to be interesting and when Lak agreed with her, I thought I'd see if someone knew what was going on. Like I said above, other people have said similar things recently. It's not like I'm making this stuff up to get my jollies by upsetting collectors.

[Inactive]
Old 01-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
If I really wished to do that, I don't think this is the board I'd be posting to.

Look--I found the statement to be interesting and when Lak agreed with her, I thought I'd see if someone knew what was going on. Like I said above, other people have said similar things recently. It's not like I'm making this stuff up to get my jollies by upsetting collectors.
Lak is another drama queen. Don't become one of them.

This thread is not neccesary, or important. Be honest with yourself.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Lak is another drama queen. Don't become one of them.

This thread is not neccesary, or important. Be honest with yourself.
Rian: I don't appreciate your reply. I'm being very honest about that.

[Inactive]
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:

Hence the "sky is falling" reference.

Being curious is one thing. Making a thread to cause drama is another.

No problem, just remember one thing. Sketch artists who talk a lot on the internet are drama queens.
I just re-read the OP and it seems like an honest question for current sketch card artists and not so much an attempt to create a dramatic thread.

Maybe Mr. Monkey should have just written "is there something going down, or is this just a bunch of hogwash?" but he didn't. No need to force him into adding you to his block list.

We all know the sketch card industry isn't going to collapse in 2013. However, losing quality artists (divas or not) is a loss for the collectors. There is only so much I'm willing to pay for a sketch card. When my shot at pulling a Hetrick out of a box dries up, so do my dreams of having a Hetrick in my collection.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Dang that is a heavy weight on my shoulders. I might have to beg and plead my way out of this one. Imac7065's words do not mean anything, so why should mine. I have enough power to get this thread deleted.

Quote:
If that happens, I'm telling you right now that you are to blame for putting that idea into the universe
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

No hard feelings, just telling the truth. I have studied this hobby for three years, I know what happens inside the industry, and I will always tell you the truth when you ask.

sketchcardsaloon.com
Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I just re-read the OP and it seems like an honest question for current sketch card artists and not so much an attempt to create a dramatic thread.

Maybe Mr. Monkey should have just written "is there something going down, or is this just a bunch of hogwash?" but he didn't. No need to force him into adding you to his block list.

We all know the sketch card industry isn't going to collapse in 2013. However, losing quality artists (divas or not) is a loss for the collectors. There is only so much I'm willing to pay for a sketch card. When my shot at pulling a Hetrick out of a box dries up, so do my dreams of having a Hetrick in my collection.
Yes, I agree that it's my fault for not including the question: Is this "mass exodus" real or not?

[Inactive]
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

This "mass exodus" is not real. It is a figment of the imagination.

sketchcardsaloon.com