Blowout Cards Forums

Blowout Cards Forums (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/)
-   NON-SPORTS (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/)
-   -   Does anyone flip cases of new release gaming ? (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/427372-does-anyone-flip-cases-new-release-gaming.html)

rip+flip 01-07-2013 12:08 AM

Does anyone flip cases of new release gaming ?

Was wondering if it can be profitable to flip gaming cases (yugioh, pokemon, magic, wow) right when they are released like you would do a sports or non sport product when they are newly released. Anyone tried this or have any experience in it ? I figure there would be a profitable way to do it and I'm sure certain ones are more profitable than others. Any information is appreciated. Can be via PM as well if it is extra top secret.

Mystafet 01-07-2013 12:20 AM

I'd be interested in if anyone does this as well.
I have ripped some packs of MTG and WoW...mainly just because the LCS had nothing else that sparked interest, but nothing in packs worth selling.

rip+flip 01-07-2013 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=Mystafet;3972846]I'd be interested in if anyone does this as well.
I have ripped some packs of MTG and WoW...mainly just because the LCS had nothing else that sparked interest, but nothing in packs worth selling.[/QUOTE]

I'm not expecting anyone to give a detailed breakdown of how they flip gaming cases just maybe some basic info like which gaming product works best with flipping or something along those lines.

Rian Fike 01-07-2013 07:29 AM

Two factors would make this difficult:

1. The most powerful cards are not always known until a few months after the release, after people play with them inside the game and learn how they interact with other cards.

2. Especially in Magic, the game is played half the time with sealed packs in draft format.

Tournaments determine the value of the rares, and sealed packs are valuable for testing and practice.

BHotz 01-07-2013 08:37 AM

Return to Ravnica (the most recent MTG expansion) had a return of 150%+ ... which is out of the norm... some large dealers were bringing very close to 200% returns. Of course this is all within the first few weeks of release then aggregate prices go down somewhat.

With MTG, sets are hit or miss and many times box/cases jump in price as soon as it's realized the set is "loaded." But the game is very strong right now and lately there have been some great sets.

However looks like mostly thanks to Return to Ravnica, presell box/case prices are inflated somewhat so becareful. If you have a brick and mortar store and fill out the paperwork, you can get "dealer" prices which is the best way to maximize profits and cushion yourself from inflated presell sealed product prices.

rip+flip 01-07-2013 12:12 PM

[QUOTE=BHotz;3973635]Return to Ravnica (the most recent MTG expansion) had a return of 150%+ ... which is out of the norm... some large dealers were bringing very close to 200% returns. Of course this is all within the first few weeks of release then aggregate prices go down somewhat.

With MTG, sets are hit or miss and many times box/cases jump in price as soon as it's realized the set is "loaded." But the game is very strong right now and lately there have been some great sets.

However looks like mostly thanks to Return to Ravnica, presell box/case prices are inflated somewhat so becareful. If you have a brick and mortar store and fill out the paperwork, you can get "dealer" prices which is the best way to maximize profits and cushion yourself from inflated presell sealed product prices.[/QUOTE]

hmmm interesting. do you know anything about any other gaming ? yugioh, pokemon, cardfight vanguard, wow, etc. ?

rip+flip 01-08-2013 09:15 PM

bump for possibly some more info ?

Zerokruel 01-08-2013 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=rip+flip;3985678]bump for possibly some more info ?[/QUOTE]

I looked into this and ran into some issues with getting allocations on MTG (distributor level).

The real problem with gaming cards, is that unless you play the game or you are current with tournament rules and what not - it's real hard to know what your doing. A card can be good one day, then be banned in tournament play and not be good the next day.

It's no where near as clear cut as sports and non-sport cards.

Cujobyte 01-09-2013 01:41 PM

[QUOTE=Zerokruel;3986560]I looked into this and ran into some issues with getting allocations on MTG (distributor level).

The real problem with gaming cards, is that unless you play the game or you are current with tournament rules and what not - it's real hard to know what your doing. A card can be good one day, then be banned in tournament play and not be good the next day.

It's no where near as clear cut as sports and non-sport cards.[/QUOTE]

That is correct, and that's why if you do homework you can make great money. I've been buying/selling collections since 1994, and still try to do it. It's also about 40-50% revenue for all comic shops in the U.S. Gatecrash at $79 per box on distribution level is ok, as they'll easily sell for me at $110 locally. Not huge profits, but a no brainer. If you're going to get cases and open/sell, do it in groups of 4 cards of each of the same, but good luck lot of competition on ebay that way.