Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Marvel's Greatest Heroes Vs Marvel Bronze Age & Harry Potter

Both by Rittenhouse

I'm thinking of getting a hobby box of either one. But is there one that's superior to the other? Maybe one would be worth more money down the road or hold value better? Or has better extra cards outside the main deck such as sketches, etc?

Or is there a better Marvel or DC hobby box out there for around the same price? (about $60)..Aside from the new Batman coming out because I'll be getting that one as well.

Also, Haven't seen any mention really on Harry Potter boxes. But I love the series, and thinking of getting a Hobby Box of that as well. If anyone with insight into these can give me some tips or so I'd be welcomed. From what I know so far is there's hobby boxes for the books and boxes for the movies. And seems to be boxes for every single individual movie. Then there's the "The World of Harry Potter" 2nd Ed 3D Trading Cards Box..Which I believe covers all the movies in one set??

I'm definitely interested in getting a movie edition box as I'd like to get some autographs, wardrobes, etc. So far I'm pretty set on getting the 2nd Ed 3D Hobby box, it seems like the best deal. But again, if there's a better deal or option I'm missing, then please let me know.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

For the Harry Potter cards, just be aware that some of the autographs are redemptions, and the redemptions are expired and no longer being fullfilled.

On the Marvel Greatest Heroes versus Bronze Age, it looks like the sketch quality is better in Bronze Age. For the other cards, pretty much all Rittenhouse sets are similar, with similar quality base sets and similar insert sets. I don't think either one will be worth more down the road, in fact boxes usually go down over time as people move on to the next new set. To choose between them, you probably have to think about what comics you like. If you grew up in the 1970's, then Bronze Age is probably the winner. If your favorite comic characters didn't appear until the 1990's, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy Bronze Age since they wouldn't be included in the set.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm somewhat shocked that another company hasn't come along and picked up Harry Potter. Can you imagine a Cryptozoic Harry Potter set? Either do one sketch card a box type deal or the one autograph/one wardrobe card deal. I think any configuration would work, I think it's only a matter of time before some company picks it up.
Brobocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

@aggie...thanks for the info on the possible sketch redemptions being expired. That would definitely suck to pull one of those :/ I haven't came across a better looking/deal/set box than the 2nd edition 3d one. So think I'll order one of those. And thanks about the info about the Marvel. Think that solidified my decision in ordering the greatest hits box.

@Brobo...I would absolutely love it if someone like Cryptozoic would pick up the Harry Potter series and release a box. That would be an amazing idea. Probably would be difficult getting autographs, wardrobe, etc maybe..but I'm sure it could be done.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
I'm somewhat shocked that another company hasn't come along and picked up Harry Potter. Can you imagine a Cryptozoic Harry Potter set? Either do one sketch card a box type deal or the one autograph/one wardrobe card deal. I think any configuration would work, I think it's only a matter of time before some company picks it up.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Surpsied Cryptozoic didn't try to pick up the Hobbit actually. I'd like to see a company pick up Harry Potter now and do cards from all the movies, autos, costume/relic if possible. Heck maybe a sketch ever 2-3 boxes. I do like Rittenhouse though, I mean I have faith in them. I hope they do away with premium packs, main hit case incentives and over saturation of autos. Give us a good bang for the buck. Help your sets hold their value and we will buy your #@#@#@#@. simple.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think the licensing fees for tv shows is a lot cheaper than for movies, so I kinda doubt Cryptozoic does any sets for movies any time soon. I think they are happy doing smaller niche products and making sure they do them well.

From talking to Miranda from Cryptozoic last year, I think a big part of the process is how they obtain autographs for the sets. From my understanding, their licensing deals include getting autographs from the main stars in the contract. That's how they have been able to pretty much have the entire main cast in each of their products. However, for any characters who are not currently on the show and thus not under contract, they have to sign those people to individual contracts. The example she gave me was Castle, where in Season 1 Captain Montgomery was a main character, but he was killed and no longer on the show in Season 2 when Cryptozoic signed their deal with the studio. So there was no guarantee he would be in the set, unless they could sign him to a separate deal. In this case they did sign him, so he is in the set.

So for Harry Potter, you probably couldn't sign a deal that would include autographs of the characters since they are no longer filming, and thus the actors aren't under contract anymore. And it's probably too expensive to sign all of them to individual contracts... there's probably a reason why Inkworks and Artbox went out of business.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239 View Post
Both by Rittenhouse

I'm thinking of getting a hobby box of either one. But is there one that's superior to the other? Maybe one would be worth more money down the road or hold value better? Or has better extra cards outside the main deck such as sketches, etc?

Or is there a better Marvel or DC hobby box out there for around the same price? (about $60)..Aside from the new Batman coming out because I'll be getting that one as well.

Also, Haven't seen any mention really on Harry Potter boxes. But I love the series, and thinking of getting a Hobby Box of that as well. If anyone with insight into these can give me some tips or so I'd be welcomed. From what I know so far is there's hobby boxes for the books and boxes for the movies. And seems to be boxes for every single individual movie. Then there's the "The World of Harry Potter" 2nd Ed 3D Trading Cards Box..Which I believe covers all the movies in one set??

I'm definitely interested in getting a movie edition box as I'd like to get some autographs, wardrobes, etc. So far I'm pretty set on getting the 2nd Ed 3D Hobby box, it seems like the best deal. But again, if there's a better deal or option I'm missing, then please let me know.
I'm not sure Marvel Greatest Heroes did all that well, but the new Marvel Greatest Battles does looks pretty decent. I don't know too much about it, but I want to get a couple cases if possible. Bronze Age definitely had some great artists and quality sketches, so we'll see soon enough how mgb fairs.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone have any opinion when it comes to Marvel Greatest Heroes Box Vs DC Comics: The New 52 Trading Cards Cryptozoic Box?

I'm leaning toward the DC Box just because I prefer more DC characters. But if the Marvel box is better in a sense, then I'd get that one.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'm not sure Marvel Greatest Heroes did all that well, but the new Marvel Greatest Battles does looks pretty decent. I don't know too much about it, but I want to get a couple cases if possible. Bronze Age definitely had some great artists and quality sketches, so we'll see soon enough how mgb fairs.
But there will be a premium price associated with the Greatest Battles set so I doubt you'll get it around $60. Best price will probably be around $80? Smaller run and each box will contain a 2 card puzzle sketch. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it will reinvigorate RA Marvel products, which I assume is what they are trying to do with the puzzle per box idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS239
Anyone have any opinion when it comes to Marvel Greatest Heroes Box Vs DC Comics: The New 52 Trading Cards Cryptozoic Box?
If you are deciding between RA Marvel products - my vote is older=better. Marvel Greatest Heroes over Marvel Bronze Age. Marvel Universe 2011 over Marvel Greatest Heroes. If you can get something older than Marvel Universe 2011 for $60, snatch that up!

RA required that all sketch cards for the Bronze Age set had some type of background, which is a nice touch. Also, they gave artists bonuses for fitting more characters on a card, so you are way more likely to pull a multi-character sketch from your box. I know this sounds like I'm promoting this set, but if you want Bronze Age sketches just buy them on eBay. There are tons available and at great prices. You can buy a master set of base, inserts, parallels, and case toppers for $60, throw in a decent sketch for $40 and you're total is only up to $100!

If you buy a box of Bronze Age you have a chance at pulling an Acar, Hall, Tan, Perna, etc... its going to be valuable, but probably not as much as if it came out of one of those other boxes.

If you are deciding between Marvel and DC 52 - I'd say hold off on the DC 52 until after Batman hits. Its only days away, and maybe a chance to get a better price or a combo deal?

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 01-08-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
But there will be a premium price associated with the Greatest Battles set so I doubt you'll get it around $60. Best price will probably be around $80? Smaller run and each box will contain a 2 card puzzle sketch. Interesting idea, but I'm not sure it will reinvigorate RA Marvel products, which I assume is what they are trying to do with the puzzle per box idea.
Right, I was thinking $80 at the very least, even after they are released simply for the fact that they have 2 sketches per box and low print, but I'm not sure how their value will hold. I don't know which artist will be attached, but i am definitely interested. I do hope this set, like bronze age, does decent, but we'll see.

Last edited by Ronin; 01-08-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: just horrible spelling
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm leaning toward the DC Box just because I prefer more DC characters. But if the Marvel box is better in a sense, then I'd get that one.
There are a lot of poor quality sketches in DC The New 52. That's the main reason those boxes have come down in price so quickly. If you aren't that concerned with the sketch cards, I would actually say the base cards from that set are very nice, since they commissioned all new art for the cards, and used a lot of top artists. I bought one box (hey, can't win the lotto without buying a ticket right?) and was impressed by the base cards and inserts. But then I hit this sketch card, and wasn't too happy:

As the poster above said, if you can wait a few days, DC Batman looks much better. It comes out on the 11th. You can check out Cryptozoic's facebook page, they have posted samples of most of the artists' sketches.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

^jesus that's a terrible sketch card to receive. While I'd like the main deck, I'd also like to get some worthy chase cards. I'm getting two boxes of the new Batman coming out on the 11th regardless of what else I pick up.

Think I'll wait a little while after picking up the Batman boxes and just pick up the Marvel Greatest Battles that drops, so far, March 27th.

After seeing the last few posts I looked a little more into it and did see that all the sketch cards indeed include a minimum of 2 characters per card. Guess that makes sense though since its Greatest "Battles" lol. And from what I saw the artists included are: Andy Price, Charles Hall, Matias Streb, Pablo Marcos, Anthony Tan and Cezar Razek.

I have no idea yet on good/bad/alright artists..so I have no clue if that's a good lineup or not.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
There are a lot of poor quality sketches in DC The New 52. That's the main reason those boxes have come down in price so quickly. If you aren't that concerned with the sketch cards, I would actually say the base cards from that set are very nice, since they commissioned all new art for the cards, and used a lot of top artists. I bought one box (hey, can't win the lotto without buying a ticket right?) and was impressed by the base cards and inserts. But then I hit this sketch card, and wasn't too happy:

As the poster above said, if you can wait a few days, DC Batman looks much better. It comes out on the 11th. You can check out Cryptozoic's facebook page, they have posted samples of most of the artists' sketches.
I honestly wouldn't be happy with that either, though even Bronze Age had a ton of mediocre sketches just like that. It really is a lotto ticket, BUT if sets have a bunch of other chase cards, and you may make out with a box by getting lucky hitting a chase card.. right on. Now this is another thing companies need to take into consideration. Give us some chase cards that will hold simillar value if not more than a normal sketch card!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, i would stay away from Harry Potter since Artbox gave its ultimatum on expired autograph redemption cards back in June. That being said, the best box to get with chances of getting any of the big 3 (or even a triple autograph) is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Update.

Harry Potter POA Update

The boxes are duds or misses. I opened up one case of this (10 boxes) and pulled only one autograph (Percy Weasley). The lure of pulling Harry, Hermione, or Ron is always exciting. There are only 3 autograph redemptions in this set but the odds of pulling an autograph are hard. I've seen 1-3 autographs pulled per case.

-- Daniel Radcliffe / Emma Watson / Rupert Grint <100
-- Daniel Radcliffe - Harry Potter <100
-- Rupert Grint - Ron Weasley 150
-- Emma Watson - Hermione 150
-- James Phelps / Oliver Phelps 300
-- David Bradley - Argus Filch 425
-- Warwick Davis - The Choir Conductor 425
-- Pamela Ferris - Aunt Marge (by redemption) 425
-- Dawn French - The Fat Lady 425
-- Jimmy Gardner - Ernie Prang (by redemption) 425
-- Genevieve Gaunt - Pansy Parkinson 425
-- Richard Griffiths - Uncle Vernon (by redemption) 425
-- Lee Ingleby - Stan Shunpike 425
-- Harry Melling - Dudley Dursley 425
-- Chris Rankin - Percy Weasley 425
-- Jaime Waylett - Vincent Crabbe 425

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #15 (permalink)

You're a lot more likely to pull a costume or prop from the Harry Potter stuff and, as most of the bigger autos (Watson, Radcliffe, Grint, Oldman) are redemptions, I'd say only get a box if you're completely happy with costumes and props. I'm still picking these up because I enjoy the base and inserts as well. From what I can tell, Half-Blood Prince Update boxes have two hits which include a costume and of either film-cell, prop, or auto (rare).
Hope this helps.
wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

That would be terrible to get a good autograph redemption card and have it be expired.

As I've been looking I've been seeing the individual movie boxes. I haven't seen them all for every movie, but I'm assuming their is. But I don't believe I've came across a box that covers all the movies in one..or maybe there's two boxes that cover all the movies?

If that's the case, I'd really like to start out by getting the one or two that cover all the movies. Then work toward getting all the individual movie boxes. I believe from what I've seen online that the 3D 2nd edition only covers probably 3-4 of the movies.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yeah it would be super awful...I bought my wife a bunch of harry potter stuff and at least pulled one Harry, Hermione, and Ron from all the various products.

Really please check out Jeff Allender's House Of Checklists! Movies & Television Checklists and look through all the Artbox Harry Potter checklists to give you an idea of what live autographs are in each product.

Half-Blood Prince is riddled with expired redemption autographs. You can probably find an online retailer who can give you a really good price for it if you want to pull some good costumes/props. The same applies to Memorable Moments 2...lots of redemptions of the good characters but some nice prop/costume cards to be pulled.

Of course, if you can find some, Deathly Hallows Part 2 has all live autographs and you have the possibility of getting Hermione's auto as well as Professor McGonagall.

Quote:
That would be terrible to get a good autograph redemption card and have it be expired.

As I've been looking I've been seeing the individual movie boxes. I haven't seen them all for every movie, but I'm assuming their is. But I don't believe I've came across a box that covers all the movies in one..or maybe there's two boxes that cover all the movies?

If that's the case, I'd really like to start out by getting the one or two that cover all the movies. Then work toward getting all the individual movie boxes. I believe from what I've seen online that the 3D 2nd edition only covers probably 3-4 of the movies.

Collecting all Houston Rockets players, current and former.
rocketfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin
Right, I was thinking $80 at the very least, even after they are released simply for the fact that they have 2 sketches per box and low print, but I'm not sure how their value will hold. I don't know which artist will be attached, but i am definitely interested. I do hope this set, like bronze age, does decent, but we'll see.
I think the long term effect will simply be devaluation of current 2-panel puzzles

Quote:
After seeing the last few posts I looked a little more into it and did see that all the sketch cards indeed include a minimum of 2 characters per card. Guess that makes sense though since its Greatest "Battles" lol. And from what I saw the artists included are: Andy Price, Charles Hall, Matias Streb, Pablo Marcos, Anthony Tan and Cezar Razek.

I have no idea yet on good/bad/alright artists..so I have no clue if that's a good lineup or not.
The lineup for Greatest Battles will include some amazing artists - you don't have to worry about that. It will also include plenty of filler artists as well. The odds of pulling a high end sketch will probably remain at about 1/case.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Those are definitely some great artists. Can't wait!